Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is he a UFA, if he waits until August? I wonder if he will wait it out to sign with Buffalo and play with his brother. Sabres are way too heavy on finesse guys and need someone who plays heavy, even as a bottom line guy.

yes he could chose to become a UFA on August 15th, or he could opt to return for a 5th season. But I have heard it said that he has made it known he will sign with the Habs, of course we'll find out in a couple months if true or not.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
In fairness to Luke Tuch I made that comment more in a joking manner. He is big, skates well, plays a heavy game. I am cautiously optimistic.
Luke is nowhere near the skater his brother Alex is, but the latter has nowhere near the truculence Luke plays with

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Habs need size so imagine they will sign Tuch

They only thing they really have to dangle is letting him burn a year of his entry-level deal. The Habs are a bottom-feeder like Buffalo, so it would seem like a no-brainer to give him a couple of NHL games once the college year is over. I do wonder if he was a big a Sabres as his bro growing up.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They only thing they really have to dangle is letting him burn a year of his entry-level deal. The Habs are a bottom-feeder like Buffalo, so it would seem like a no-brainer to give him a couple of NHL games once the college year is over. I do wonder if he was a big a Sabres as his bro growing up.

Not exactly sure he can command an ELC burn with how he's developped so far.

I also don't think many teams would be lining up for his service. There are many NCAA FA that could be more interesting.

Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think the way Tuch is being viewed is the same way Struble was viewed before he made the jump to pro.

I would somewhat disagree with that as Struble is a much better skater and I thought he looked like a player who could play on a second pairing as his offensive ability was obvious but just did not have the numbers to support it. Struble still really doesn't have the numbers but at least people are now seeing what I saw as he clearly is a top notch skater and can make plays as well as having a little offensive flare that he periodically can tease you with.

I think Tuch profiles as a 4th liner with a slim chance of being anything more than that as I don't see much offensive ability there. If Tuch turns out to be more than a 4th liner I think it will be well into his NHL career as sometimes big guys like him need to learn in the NHL how to properly use their size. Mathew Knies is much more skilled than Tuch and he is having to re-learn how to use his body against men as opposed to much smaller/weaker opponents.

I would be quite happy with Tuch if he turns into a physical 4th line presence who pitches in with the odd goal now and then.....anything above that is a bonus.

Keylock11

Oct 31, 2023
Tuch seems like he's having a great year this year compare to last year.

Pretty much 1 PPG , compare to last year at 0.5 PPG
I konw he's 21 year olds and playing with much younger but still a great improvement.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Tuch seems like he's having a great year this year compare to last year.

Pretty much 1 PPG , compare to last year at 0.5 PPG
I konw he's 21 year olds and playing with much younger but still a great improvement.
Tuch will get an AHL contract at least. He is a meat and potatoes guy. Perfect for 3rd or 4th line. Good and aggressive forechecker, good Pker, solid defensively, NHL body already.

I like him. Obviously not to ever make top 6 but don't discount him for a bottom 6 spot eventually.

Reactions: Runner77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Tuch will get an AHL contract at least. He is a meat and potatoes guy. Perfect for 3rd or 4th line. Good and aggressive forechecker, good Pker, solid defensively, NHL body already.

I like him. Obviously not to ever make top 6 but don't discount him for a bottom 6 spot eventually.

I would be surprised if he doesn't get an ELC (from us or someone else).

Big boy, former 2nd round pick, bloodlines.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would be surprised if he doesn't get an ELC (from us or someone else).

Big boy, former 2nd round pick, bloodlines.

bd1ade6a79ee613885c66f470b7488af.jpg

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I think Tuch have said clearly that his #1 option will be to sign with the Habs at the end of his College career. Habs need that type of players.
A Luke Tuch type player in Montreal would be a welcome and a need!!!With Slafkovsky improving and Tuch coming that could be a formidable LWing duo with great size...don't remember a Canadiens with size like these two unless I go back to the days PMahovlich...MPacioretty too but...PS In a day when college players turn pro before they are ready its great to see Tuch take the whole 4 years to develop, get stronger and Mature, physically, mentally and Emotionally! Good Luck to Les Canadiens,Tuch and Slafkovsky

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
A Luke Tuch type player in Montreal would be a welcome and a need!!!With Slafkovsky improving and Tuch coming that could be a formidable LWing duo with great size...don't remember a Canadiens with size like these two unless I go back to the days PMahovlich...MPacioretty too but...PS In a day when college players turn pro before they are ready its great to see Tuch take the whole 4 years to develop, get stronger and Mature, physically, mentally and Emotionally! Good Luck to Les Canadiens,Tuch and Slafkovsky
I have been impressed with this administration letting players go back for their 4th year without losing them to the loophole. Harris, Struble and now probably Tuch have come in so much more mature and ready.

Jul 6, 2016
Slaf is a top line winger. Tuch will be a bottom line or bottom 6 player. I would like another Mike McPhee type of player on this team. Tuch could be that.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I am 100% sure Luke Tuch will sign an ELC, hopefully with Montreal.

Last year, I was a bit down on him I'll admit due to the lack of offensive production/progression.

However, I thought his presence at the WC on team USA with seasoned pros spoke volume about what the hockey world tought about him even though he only played 4 games. In addition to his current season, his stock is trending upward and his potential as a big bodied bottom-6 forward should not discounted.

He and Florian are our only above-average sized forward prospects with physical play. That would help complete our under-sized skill players/prospects at the AHL level to start. Even if he doesn't make it, he should be a solid AHLer with potential for the duration of an ELC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatbiggie and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am 100% sure Luke Tuch will sign an ELC, hopefully with Montreal.

Last year, I was a bit down on him I'll admit due to the lack of offensive production/progression.

However, I thought his presence at the WC on team USA with seasoned pros spoke volume about what the hockey world tought about him even though he only played 4 games. In addition to his current season, his stock is trending upward and his potential as a big bodied bottom-6 forward should not discounted.

He and Florian are our only above-average sized forward prospects with physical play. That would help complete our under-sized skill players/prospects at the AHL level to start. Even if he doesn't make it, he should be a solid AHLer with potential for the duration of an ELC.
4 years of NCAA development will make Luke Tuch a good player at the pro level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad