OT: Luke Schenn

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
I can't think of one glaring mistake he's made this season, can you? Can't say that for the rest of the Leafs defensemen. Sure he doesn't play big minutes, but he also isn't a liability when on the ice.

I think Doug Maclean already pointed it out last night. First goal of the game. Fraser left his side and helped corner a Washington Capitol and the puck ended up in the net.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Said it from the beginning, Firing BURKIE was the best thing to happen in T.O. Why you say? He's too much of a distraction, all he would talk about is himself... he was his own self-promoter. Now Nonis can quietly resume control and make some side deals.

Kadri, Frattin and Kostka, all young Marlies making some noise on the team, something Burkie refused to do.

Nonsense. Most of these young marlies are players that Burke acquired via trade or draft. And who makes the big club are the decision of the coach, not the GM. So Carlyle is playing these guys. Who brought Carlyle in again?

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
Thought Schenn was pretty badly dumped on by the media/fans here, he needed a change, but he'll be good. JVR also looks good. Seems like a win/win.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Obviously Schenn deserved to be shipped out of town, you don't go from golden boy, future captain material, etc. with a brand new contract with an annual salary twice that of PK Subban's current cap hit to trade fodder unless you do something really bad repeatedly.

That said, we made out like bandits on this one. I saw Luke Schenn in his first game and wasn't too impressed. Maybe he's settled into his role in Philly, but I imagine that has a lot to do with a great defenseman like Timonen whom he can dump the puck to in any situation. For the life of me, I can't imagine Schenn being utilized as the stronger defenseman in any D-pairing and carrying his partner.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Schenn played scared for us, he still has that baby face look where he's like "oh man am I doing alright?"

He doesn't play mean, not that vocal at all. Seemed too nice for what we needed from him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Schenn played scared for us, he still has that baby face look where he's like "oh man am I doing alright?"

He doesn't play mean, not that vocal at all. Seemed too nice for what we needed from him.

Yeah, you get the sense Schenn does all the right things like hit and fight because someoe told him to and not because he's a warrior the way a Stevens was.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I wanted Pietrangelo from that draft.

However when he wasn't there I wanted Filatov. :D

So much for prognostications.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
JVR has been good so far, but since he is known for being streaky I would wait before saying we won he deal.

Schenn has been steady and played pretty well so far for Philly.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Right?

And yet they still have people who try and categorize future drafts as "weak" or "strong" or "deep" etc.

You can't judge those sorts of things until a good several years after the draft

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Obviously Schenn deserved to be shipped out of town, you don't go from golden boy, future captain material, etc. with a brand new contract with an annual salary twice that of PK Subban's current cap hit to trade fodder unless you do something really bad repeatedly.

That said, we made out like bandits on this one. I saw Luke Schenn in his first game and wasn't too impressed. Maybe he's settled into his role in Philly, but I imagine that has a lot to do with a great defenseman like Timonen whom he can dump the puck to in any situation. For the life of me, I can't imagine Schenn being utilized as the stronger defenseman in any D-pairing and carrying his partner.

Spot on.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I've three and a halfish Flyers games so far this season.

Schenn looks decent. His game is what it should have been here in Toronto - less noisy, efficient, simple.

He plays simple passes. He chips pucks out. He is physical without trying to overplay by going for a big hit. He doesn't loose many puck battles.

They got a good player in the deal, and so did we.

One thing I will say - he looks much leaner now and that has helped with his foot speed. He looked heavy, and heavy-legged last season. He's not a lightning quick skater now, but it doesn't appear as though he needs the turning radius of a jumbo jet in order to change skating directions anymore.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

A bit early, no?

Think the only way that we make "like bandits" in this one, is if JvR develops into a consistent top 6 power forward who is comfortable going to the net and getting those garbage goals. Ie. play more often than not the same way he did last night against the Capitals.

Can't determine that for quite some time yet.

Remember - Philadelphia's big issue with van Reimsdyk wasn't what he could do, but what he couldn't; and that was consistently play the game that let him be successful on the ice.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

I wanted Cody Hodgson at 7. Although I was basing that off of other people's assessments. Colin Wilson was mentioned quite a lot as well. I would have been happy with either player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A bit early, no?

Think the only way that we make "like bandits" in this one, is if JvR develops into a consistent top 6 power forward who is comfortable going to the net and getting those garbage goals. Ie. play more often than not the same way he did last night against the Capitals.

Can't determine that for quite some time yet.

Remember - Philadelphia's big issue with van Reimsdyk wasn't what he could do, but what he couldn't; and that was consistently play the game that let him be successful on the ice.

You are right it is too early. But the deal looks good insofar as the potential we received and the impact we could be getting. JVR was inconsistent in Philly but also consider that his role was more limited, with guys like Hartnell playing ahead of him. Sometimes you just he to be the go to guy to get going.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Burke made a good trade getting JVR. That said, I think Schenn will have a very nice career and would have done fine staying in Toronto under the current coaching staff. I wish Schenn the very best, except when he plays the Leafs;)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Right now it's a fair win-win deal because both players are now playing well for their respective teams .. Difference is, Schenn is almost as his ceiling as a defensive defenseman whereas JVR still has untapped potential that made him a #2 overall pick and not just a mid first round big bodied power forward .. If JVR can find that potential on a consistent basis it's a bigger win for the Leafs

I still maintain Schenn would have had a great rebound under Carlyle, look how Komi has done, but to get a needed player of JVR's calibre was a great move

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I can't imagine Schenn being utilized as the stronger defenseman in any D-pairing and carrying his partner.

^^This. I watched 2 phili games and Luke was ok, looked actually better then with us last season. However, he was not offensively involved and therefore rarely out of position and in the situation when he needed to use speed to be involved in play. Phili's forwards back-checking all the time and pretty good on boards as well, which helps.

Still, regarding the trade, I don's think it helped Phili that much. Last season they were often playing from behind, losing by 1-2-3 goals and then coming back in 3rd period on potent offense and winning it in OT or SO.
Schenn is not pair carrying D and Phili still gives up goals in bunches and have one less weapon to compensate for it.

Leafs, on other hand, have abundance of D prospects that are as good if not better defensively than Schenn and even could contribute to offense. Not to mention that Komisarek played steady this year and arguably at the same level as Schenn.

And on top of not losing any dept on D, Leafs got what seems like top-6 forward with size. After he and Kulemin were called out by Carlile they both have been dynamite. So potential is definitely there. It is as obvious as it only can be. Here is hope that coaching staff finds right motivation and way to utilize him.

I only can hope for such trades to continue, when we deal from position of strength on wings and D to bring in superior talent to forwards.

I truly believe we are one first line center for depth scoring / d prospects swap away from being really good. Well, might be small upgrade in #2D position as well. Are there teams that need to shed some salary? (and who likes helping Blue Jays of NHL?)

:laugh:

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
I wanted Cody Hodgson at 7. Although I was basing that off of other people's assessments. Colin Wilson was mentioned quite a lot as well. I would have been happy with either player.

I wanted to trade down and draft Karlsson ;)

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I felt real good about this trade when it happened. I feel even better now.

I LOVE that we were able to turn a defensive defenceman into a big body forward with solid potential. I couldn't have foreseen that happening.

Especially since we have so many in our system. Holzer, Komi and Gunnar are all similar, some better than others but you can't have too many one dimensional dmen. How many big bodied forwards who crash the net do we have?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00