OT: Luke Schenn

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Schenn's skating is noticeably better right now. Hes not really trying to force anything right now. Hes been their best defenceman after Kimmo (though thats not saying much)

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The Wilson/Burke era was all about getting bigger and putting on weight. It killed Schenn and Kadri last year. Players always play their best at their natural body weight. Might've even been the Komisarek influence for all I know...

HeresJOHNNY

Jul 5, 2010
I'm so tired of people saying Luke Schenn is a good defenseman. Guy was brutal every year but his rookie season. And his so called good years weren't great either. The amount of turnovers and brain farts severely outweighs the occasional decent hit by far.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I am glad Schenn is gone. I've already forgotten about him. Most overrated Leaf in years. I could care less how he's doing in Philly. JVR is looking like a steal so far.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bad Schenn = bottom pair defenseman, almost unplayable at times.
Good Schenn = second pair defenseman

Bad JVR = 2nd line power winger
Good JVR = 1st line power winger

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
I was a big Schenn fan and I really wanted him to succeed with the Leafs, but he was absolutely brutal the last two years and he badly needed a change of address.

The fact that we turned a guy that was basically a depth defenceman an into a legit top six power forward is a steal of a trade.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Don't know what Schenn is doing in Philly but JVR has been the first Leaf player to go to the net with authority and who will stay there to take the punishment necessary to score since I believe Gary Roberts left. This trait in itself is enough to make the deal worth it in my mind.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Glad to see Luke's doing well, but I'm thrilled with JVR. Liking this deal more and more.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I think Schenn is much better insulated in Philly than he ever was here. I also believe Schenn and Dion didn't see eye to eye.

JVR is doing better here, because he's being treated like a true top 6 forward that he is.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I think Schenn is much better insulated in Philly than he ever was here. I also believe Schenn and Dion didn't see eye to eye.

JVR is doing better here, because he's being treated like a true top 6 forward that he is.

That's the big difference. He's given the ice time here. It was difficult for him in Philly due to injuries, then sliding down to the third line, because Philly had a lot of talent up front. It was a similar scenario to that of Lupul in Anaheim. Top 6 forward with good potential, bad luck with injuries, moved down to the third line because of Anaheim's depth up front. His first (third of a) season with the leafs, he started to get his game back. Next season, PPG player.

I'm not going to say JVR is going to be a PPG this season, or any season after. Too early to tell. But it's not too far-fetched to see him ending up somewhere around 0.80-0.90 PPG if his game keeps going the way its going.

I just can't stop going back to that game against Pittsburgh. That wrist shot he fired over Fleury's glove made me so giddy.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Flyers fans seem happy enough with him.
I have only watched one game with the Flyers this season and he looked ok then.

We got the better player for sure, in terms of potential at least even do Schenn when he peak will be a key player for what ever team he plays for. If Granberg and/or Holzer becomes NHLers then we have our shut down d-man right there. Neither of them are as talented as Schenn and will take longer to develop but seeing as defensive d-man takes so long to develop anyway the extra years of waiting is no big deal. It is pretty hard to find talent like JVR in the later rounds, easier to find defensive minded d-man, that´s my point. :)

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Anything is better then Schenn, he sucked here. was never better then a #4. You never wanted him as the best d-man on his pairing.

trading him for Jvr was an instant win, even if Jvr only stays a 20 goal scorer lol.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Loved the trade.

I can see how JVR might have been a bit of a disappointment in Philadelphia, injured a bit, not particularly physical with powerforward size.

Maybe the Leafs Marleau, skates well, has size, skilled, but doesn't go out of their way to play a physical game. I'll have to wait and see if Van Riemsdyk is as tough as Marleau.

Leafs need was a forward with size and skill, and they got that.

If Schenn works out for the Flyers better, you like to have trade partners where both are happy. That smooths the way for subsequent trades, even in the same conferences you can have win win trades.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Schenn seems like he's doing fine for the Flyers. No surprise to me, I was a bigger fan than most seemed to be. He was ill-suited for a run and gun team.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Schenn seems like he's doing fine for the Flyers. No surprise to me, I was a bigger fan than most seemed to be. He was ill-suited for a run and gun team.

That's the big one. Schenn would never succeed in the system that Wilson worked with.

He will be a good defenseman with Philly - I hope he thrives.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Said it from the beginning, Firing BURKIE was the best thing to happen in T.O. Why you say? He's too much of a distraction, all he would talk about is himself... he was his own self-promoter. Now Nonis can quietly resume control and make some side deals.

Kadri, Frattin and Kostka, all young Marlies making some noise on the team, something Burkie refused to do.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

As long as the expectation isn't that he be a top 2, shut-down d-man, he'll be okay. Put him on the second or third pairing and let him be steady.

I was getting frustrated with Schenn, but where he was drafted didn't do him any favours.

Also, I'd make this trade 10 times over if presented the chance.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As long as the expectation isn't that he be a top 2, shut-down d-man, he'll be okay. Put him on the second or third pairing and let him be steady.

I was getting frustrated with Schenn, but where he was drafted didn't do him any favours.

You were here at his draft, and you must remember the number of posters who said "don't draft a defensive d-man 5th. overall".

Perhaps with the Flyers he can become the "Foote" he was projected to be in Toronto.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I've always maintained that Schenn's problems all came from fitness. He put on a ton of muscle mass and became excruciatingly slow.

It seems like the staff with the Flyers recognized that immediately as he appears much slimmer now.

He is still obviously limited in his skill level but it looks like he'll be much better than he was here.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Flyers fans seem happy enough with him.
I have only watched one game with the Flyers this season and he looked ok then.

that says more about how bad the Flyers have been this year rather than how good Schenn has been.

it is funny how the #6 dman on a "horrific" leafs' defense corps can turn around and be the best dman on a "contending" flyers' defense corps, though.

imagine how much mocking leaf fans would have taken last year for daring to compare Luke Schenn to such great defensemen as Braydon Coburn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad