Luke Schenn

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I know Luke isn't the fastest player but I dont see the ''concrete skates'' that people are talking about. I mean, Pronger wasn't fast either. Not comparing the two but my point is you don't need to have a lot of speed to have a good career. Especially if you're a defensive d man. I mean what do people expect from him? To fly around like Mesz or Coburn? He's just not that type of player. If he can improve on his positioning and awareness, the whole speed/agility thing won't be an issue.

Pronger was also brilliant on the ice. Schenn's hockey IQ is somewhere between a potato and John Mitchell.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
L Schenn reminds me of Luke Richardson.....

I still haven't see the pelican stance that Toronto fans says he does when he tries to block a shot and screens the goalie in the process.....

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Is there really any excuse for Schenn to be so slow? I mean, it's not like he's got bad knees or anything - get some damn skating lessons down you boy.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
Is there really any excuse for Schenn to be so slow? I mean, it's not like he's got bad knees or anything - get some damn skating lessons down you boy.

Well, he's huge. I think he trimmed down this offseason, but he should really try to play even lighter because he doesn't have the anticipation or hockey sense to make up for his lack of agility.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Pronger was not the fastest skater out there and as a d-man you don't have to be that fast if you learn how to position yourself out there. I am hoping with Kimmo and Pronger in this organization they can teach Schenn how to be a better hockey player in his positioning. He will have to learn how to not go after a check every time he has a chance. As a d-man you have to pick your spots and Pronger did just that.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Schenn's a beast. Just give him some time to adjust. He'll be a solid top 4 Dman for the next decade+

FlyingHigh28*

I'm seriously questioning if certain people in this thread ever actually watched Pronger play the game. He wasn't a speedster for his size like Coburn is, but he could skate circles around Luke Schenn.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leaf fan here - watched both Flyers games.

While Schenn did look heavy footed, what I will say is that he looks considerably fitter and leaner than he has in previous seasons.

He looked like a big-bodied pylon in Toronto towards the end of his time here, but I don't get the same image of him so far. He looks fitter, sharper on his skates, and well, a lot thinner I guess?

He'll come good. He's a good kid that puts his teammates first. Those commenting on his skating are spot on - he's never been a great skater and often gets caught flat footed. If he can work to improve that and become more agile, he will be a solid Dman. His defensive instincts are there, and he's always willing to put his body on the line for his team.

He can make a decent first pass out of the zone too - he won't be starting any rushes, but he's not as bad at stick handling the puck as some make him out to be. When his confidence went in Toronto, he became his nervy bag of nothingness, and started treating the puck like a grenade - get it off my stick as soon as possible! But once he calms down and gains his confidence again, he'll make those little plays with the puck to help clear the zone. The little bumps off the board, or that first pass to the deep center man, etc. In his first 2 seasons in Toronto, that was one of his biggest strengths.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Matt Carle was terrible in Tampa Bay when he came here after about three years in the league. Coburn struggled for two years after his stellar 2nd year in the league. He had to be moved back with Timmo, who was trying to teach Ryan Parent, to improve his consistency. It will take time with Schenn and a veteran presence like Timmo will help him greatly. I know he has been in the league 4 years, but Toronto did him a great disservice by rushing him to the NHL and playing him all over the lineup without a consistent veteran presence to teach him. You almost have to view those years as him playing in the AHL with the circus that team was under Burke.

ukleafsfan

Jun 18, 2009
Newcastle, Uk
I think if Schenn can work on his skating he will be a top defenceman.
His physical play is fantastic, he'll hit and hit all day.

His shot was just awful when he first came into the league, hes worked on that lots in the last couple of years and now and then he'll suprise with a nice slapper but dont exect goals.

Where he lacks is in his skating. All too often he would jump into the play to make a hit leaving odd man breaks in behind him. Now and then he'll try to make a hit and forget about the play all together.

As time goes on I would definitely expect his hockey IQ to improve and he'll stop making silly mistakes, if he can get his skating up to scratch he'll be a great player.

Last year he looked quite sluggish at times, as if he couldnt recover when out of position. From watching your game on Saturday he looks like he may have lost a little weight? which would be a good thing. Drop a few lbs and work on that skating and you've got a beast of a defenceman there !

Got lots of time for him and wish him all the best, though Im not looking forward to him running kessel through the boards !

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
I say he's been brutal so far.

That said, we knew he was a project, and expecting him to morph into an all-star instantly would not be realistic.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

That said, we knew he was a project, and expecting him to morph into an all-star instantly would not be realistic.

Really? I feel complete opposite. I dont think he has been great but average.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Then I say that you're not watching him closely enough. Sure, he hasn't been fantastic, but aside from the lax play on the Kennedy goal, and getting caught from the outside on that tripping call, I think he's been OK.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Schenn has played well overall. He is slow and does get caught flat footed at times though. I think he will be a 4th D man for his career.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I've been watching Luke closely these two games and I like what I see. Coburn, Grossmann (and now Luke) are the only defensemen on the Flyers who I see take the body when a guy is coming in with the puck, most of our other defenders go for the puck and get danced around.

He has had a few great defensive breakups so far and a couple times where he has been caught flat footed or out of position. From what I see from this 23 year old though is encouraging and I can't wait for the rest of the season while he learns more from our veterans.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
Then I say that you're not watching him closely enough. Sure, he hasn't been fantastic, but aside from the lax play on the Kennedy goal, and getting caught from the outside on that tripping call, I think he's been OK.

Could be. It's easier to notice mistakes than good plays, and since he's a new face on the team it's taking me some time to adjust to recognizing him instantly.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Didn't 2 of his penalties against Buffalo lead to PP goals?
They did, but I don't know what that has to do with anything. It leaves a sour taste, but you need to look at whether the penalties themselves were stupid, not whether they led to a goal. That has nothing to do with him anymore.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Schenn has been adequate. H hasn't been too physical and he's made some mistakes but overall he's been average I would say. I fully expect him to improve throughout this yr. I think he'll turn into s solid 2nd pairing guy just needs to work on a few things but he's young, he'll get there.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I thought he looked pretty good in the 2 games. He's not a superstar, but he's good.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
He's been average sofar, and it's not at all surprising. He is on a new team, new players, new system and been on the team for 2 weeks now? Hopefully once he's settled in, we will get a better picture.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
He's been average sofar, and it's not at all surprising. He is on a new team, new players, new system and been on the team for 2 weeks now? Hopefully once he's settled in, we will get a better picture.

don't forget that he didn't play anywhere during the work stoppage and he only had a week of camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad