Luke Schenn

Synthetic

Apr 12, 2004
Columbia, MO
Honestly, he's like Coburn but can hit. His skating isn't as good as Coburn's maybe, but better than anyone else on the D, I think.

*slight nod to Gervais*

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Luke Schenn needed to get away from Ron Wilson. That man nearly ruined him. Wilson had Luke on such a tight leash, the moment Luke made a mistake, he was benched. Wilson killed whatever confidence Luke had. I think we should all be glad to see how Kevin McCarthy, John Paddock, Chris Pronger and Kimmo Timonen have taken him under their wings to help him along.

SgtJoseph*

Another nice aquisition by Homer.........He is a helluva GM in my opinion, Lot more positives than Negatives with his moves which is not bad as GMs go.......Especially trying to make pick ups to fill injured players positions etc......Grossman, Shenn, Read, Bryz, etc are lookin like much better moves than MANY would like to admit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Another nice aquisition by Homer.........He is a helluva GM in my opinion, Lot more positives than Negatives with his moves which is not bad as GMs go.......Especially trying to make pick ups to fill injured players positions etc......Grossman, Shenn, Read, Bryz, etc are lookin like much better moves than MANY would like to admit.

He's managed to bail himself out of the boiling mess he created for himself, sure...but let's not forget that he created that mess to begin with. If he keeps trading picks and prospects as he did before, the same mess will come around.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Holmgren is doomed to failure. He literally can't win with the fans. Bottom line is that he took over the league's worst team, took them to the cup final, to the conference finals and hasn't missed the play-offs once.

Talk of 'boiling messes' is silly. He's just doing his job, everyone makes the odd mistake. We're always a good team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Holmgren is doomed to failure. He literally can't win with the fans. Bottom line is that he took over the league's worst team, took them to the cup final, to the conference finals and hasn't missed the play-offs once.

Talk of 'boiling messes' is silly. He's just doing his job, everyone makes the odd mistake. We're always a good team.

Trading away all your prospects and draft picks until you're in a situation where you don't have any players to call up, or the cap space to fill holes via FA, is more than an "odd mistake." Signing Leighton to be the starter instead of getting basically anybody else, and the ensuing nuclear fallout, is more than the "odd mistake." As I've said, he's done a pretty good (generally) job fixing those mistakes; if you're going to take the risks Homer does, that's an essential skill. The team is screwed if he continues to play with fire and someday can't put it out. I don't see how that's a "can't-win" scenario for Holmgren; that's an appraisal I think is very realistic, IMO.

That's all I've got for the subject, I don't want to derail the thread any further.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
There's no satisfying the experts around here. It pretty much sums up the dearth of their argument that they perseverate on draft picks and a backup goalie.

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He's managed to bail himself out of the boiling mess he created for himself, sure...but let's not forget that he created that mess to begin with. If he keeps trading picks and prospects as he did before, the same mess will come around.

I'll agree that asset management is not Holmgren's strongest suit. As well, giving contracts with No Trade/No Movement clauses. He's slowly working his way out of the messes he's created and now he seems to be getting back to restocking the pipeline and keeping his picks. He tried to hit a home run with a Pronger deal and I think that move hurt more than others, if only because one roster player (a 20+ goal scorer in Lupul), a young defenseman in Sbisa and two first round picks were given up and they didn't have any other early draft picks to rebuild the system (all their second round picks were dealt right up to 2011). But, in all fairness, hindsight is always 20/20.

SgtJoseph*

Are you kiddin me with this ? What mess ? Pronger getting hurt ? Trading Ritchie just when his decline started ? Bringing Lavy here and going to a cup final ? Getting Read ? Getting Couts ? Signing Kimmo to another year ? Getting both Shenns ?

Homer ain't perfect, but to try and dismiss him as not being a fine GM is rediculous in my view ?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Holy ****, God forbid I point out that Homer has made mistakes. Like I said, I'm done. As much as you all like to say Homer can do no right for some people, it's clear he can do absolutely no wrong to others.

SgtJoseph*

Holy ****, God forbid I point out that Homer has made mistakes. Like I said, I'm done. As much as you all like to say Homer can do no right for some people, it's clear he can do absolutely no wrong to others.

Respectfully, not so sure anyone said he can do no wrong ?.......Just saying as GMs go he is one of the best GMs in this league and deserves credit when credit is due . Its a tough gig !

SgtJoseph*

24:50 TOI, 8 hits, 6 blocks. O GA.

Schenn's stat line for today.

Looks good ! JVR just banged in his 7th up in Montreal tonight. Seems change has done both of these players some good. Glad to see if for both of the young lads.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Looks good ! JVR just banged in his 7th up in Montreal tonight. Seems change has done both of these players some good. Glad to see if for both of the young lads.

Yeah seems like the trade woke both of them up. Good trade for both teams so far. Toronto needed offense and we needed defense.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Honestly, he's like Coburn but can hit. His skating isn't as good as Coburn's maybe, but better than anyone else on the D, I think.

*slight nod to Gervais*

Timonen is not the fastest guy, but he's the second best skater on this defense behind Coburn, with maybe Gervais and Gustafsson. right there with him. Schenn's skating has been average but effective so far, IMO.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Everyone gives out NTC / NMC clauses. Scroll through all the teams on Capgeek (I look at all the team's caps to see how the Flyers are doing). The Flyers sometimes appear to have more because they are a team with money who can make a splash in FA agency, whereafter NMCs follow. They've also gotten a few players to give a discount with them.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Nice to see Schenn doing well. He had a couple of rock solid seasons in Toronto as a young dman, although I do believe Wilson mismanaged him to an extent

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Glad to hear Schenn is doing well, but JVR's production so far is making it easy for us Leaf fans to not miss him as much

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I feel like after every game this year we have been saying it's his best of the year so far. The kid is playing lights out right now. Also logged 24:50 today, which led the Flyers. Lavy is really playing him, which has to help with his confidence.

Schenn is solid when he gets a lot of responsibility and playing time. He had many great games where he logged well over 24 minutes. JvR is great but I will always be a fan of Luke too.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So happy Schenn is performing for you guys.

Im quite torn by this trade. JvR has been vital to us so far this season but Schenn is a beast. Wilson was awful for him. I very much would have liked to see what Carlyle could have molded him in to.

I was considering renaming/numbering my Schenn jersey but I may just keep it the way it is.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
So happy Schenn is performing for you guys.

Im quite torn by this trade. JvR has been vital to us so far this season but Schenn is a beast. Wilson was awful for him. I very much would have liked to see what Carlyle could have molded him in to.

I was considering renaming/numbering my Schenn jersey but I may just keep it the way it is.

I have a JVR jersey, and I'm pretty proud of it.

The standing ovation JVR received at Hartnell's charity game in NJ is pretty telling. People will complain about him being soft and streaky, but everyone knew what he was eventually going to become (except the trolls on HFboards who still think he's a bust). He was loved in Philly.

I definitely didn't want to see him traded, and though Schenn's doing great so far, it's going to be a while before I'm cool with it.

Broad st phantom

Oct 28, 2005
philadelphia
I doubt JVR would be a bust and if he were a flyer with his 7 goals scored(I think thats how many he has with TOR.) He would be tagged as the second coming. Luke has been one of my favorite players this year though, and I do like the trade because we need the D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad