Rumor: Luke Schenn Deal Done? (Update: #400)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I love Schenn as a Canuck but even id tell ya that a 2nd round pick or a return of that value is a major overpayment.

I'm not saying he wont return that, because weve seen GMs get desperate at this time of the year before but all im saying is Allvin will be that woman in the ikea commercial if anybody offers a 2nd for Schenn.

You said earlier in the thread that he is worth a 5th, maybe you said a 4th.

General consensus seems to be that he's worth a 2nd or at worst a 3rd round pick plus something else.

Is it that you don't value Schenn much at all or that you value draft picks very highly?

I am just curious to hear your reasoning!

I'm trying to manage my own expectations, but I think it will be for a 2nd round pick. Could be a 3rd, which would make me a little disappointed but that's an "ok" return in my eyes. Anything less, well now you're in the "why didn't we just keep him around then?" territory.

With that said, I guess I am saying that he's probably worth a 3rd rounder, objectively speaking.

I also don't understand why a 2nd round pick would be a major overpayment. I'd say a first is overpayment territory.

1st: Overpayment
2nd: Good return
3rd: Ok return
4th and onwards: Pointless

Feb 19, 2018
I don’t see why the Senators would trade futures for a rental Schenn. They’re aiming higher than Schenn and are also not in a position to be buying on rentals.

NTC etc and not wanting to surrender a 1st could complicate that scenario for Ottawa. You have to give to get and they gave us a 3rd for Hamonic so it’s not crazy.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I get that it's the Canucks but he has played like a legit top 4 for most of this year. I'd say he's a 5th d on a contender. Depth wins cups.
If that is so why is he 5th in ice time per game for Vancouver defencemen? Honest question as I've only watched a couple of Canucks games. All of his toi usage says he's behind Hughes, Myers, Bear, and OEL in the pecking order.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
How is Luke Schenn getting this much trade discussion and media attention?

He's a fine enough player. I'd be happy to add him for a million ish as a free agent. But he's a physical 3rd pairing guy, not some game changer or minute eater. The last time he was on a contender with Tampa he played 10 minutes a game and couldn't hold down his roster spot. Even now with a troubled VAN team he's only playing 17.

But his name comes up all the time on TSN, theScore, and my google news feed. Why does everyone care so much, and why would anyone even be considering the idea he might return a 1st rounder?
Because he is better and more valued by teams around the league than what your understanding of him is.

Maybe it's for a good reason he's getting that type of attention.. food for thought!

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
If that is so why is he 5th in ice time per game for Vancouver defencemen? Honest question as I've only watched a couple of Canucks games. All of his toi usage says he's behind Hughes, Myers, Bear, and OEL in the pecking order.
Because Myers makes 6mil. I will admit schenn shines more in a 3rd pairing role so maybe top 4 is too much but an excellent #5 imo. And just a great team guy to have.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Has anyone looked at the Canucks depth chart? Especially on D??

It might be the worst we’ve seen (in the NHL) in recent memory. Guarantee it’s the worst I can ever remember for the Canucks.

Every single asset they move, they need to make an effort to acquire an under 25 young player/prospect.

I mentioned the other day, I wouldn’t count out the Detroit, Buffalo or Ottawa types when it comes to Schenn. Teams they could pluck a decent/good young player from, who’s likely not in those team’s long-term plans. Simply because they have too many prospects.

So instead of a 2nd, they take a 3rd or 4th, and that player. A player who’s already developed for a few years, who will be an NHL player, who’s going to play 200+ NHL games, but likely does it for a different team.

I mentioned McIssac from Detroit. Former 2nd rounder and a Team Canada leader at World Juniors a few years ago. A player who struggle with injuries for 2 years but has been healthy for the last 2 years and is developing right where he was expected to. Still only 22 years old and will absolutely play in the NHL.

His problem is, he’s now 4th on the Wings LHD prospect list behind Edvinsson, Wallinder and Johansson. So his chances of being traded in the next two years is pretty good.

When Rathbone is the best thing they have in the system, which includes Pettersson and Jurmo from last year’s draft, it’s as empty as it gets. To the desperation of signing Johansson after the Wild declined to sign their former 1st round pick. A player who at 23, still lacks physical strength and likely never plays in the NHL.

McIssac would be at the top of the Canucks prospect list for dmen. In fact, they need to do this for 2-3 years, just to replenish the system and pray their new scouting staff and evaluators, start hitting on some picks this coming draft.

So absolutely, they should be taking deals like Schenn for McIssac and a 3rd rounder, over just a 2nd rounder.

32 spots in a draft of 18 year old kids, isn’t worth more than a player who will play 200+ games for you.

Could also see a Foote trade from Tampa for Schenn. Or with Buffalo, a 3rd and Ryan Johnson, or another dman who’s likely not in Buffalo’s plans.

Too many people on HF Judge everything by what amounts to 10-15% of how NHL rosters are built. 1st round picks, former 1st round picks, and players who play in the NHL at 20-21. Forgetting that 90% of players go through development years.

A 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick takes 5-6 years to contribute in almost every case. 2-3 years before we even know if they will likely play in the league.

Because of how empty their prospect pool on D is, they can’t be subtracting from their blue line and not getting players in return. So they have to target certain players who would probably be available from teams who are loaded with dmen prospects.

Yzerman isn’t who brought Schenn to Tampa but Lalonde has a history with him, and he is the type of dman who Yzerman adds at deadlines. With the way his team is currently playing, and having those games in-hand, people shouldn’t discount Detroit adding. Especially a player like Schenn who fills a spot on their bottom pair.

For those who seem to think a player like McIssac is just a body with no upside. Meet Jake Walman!! And McIssac is only 22. Lindstrom at 24, would be a better comparison to Walman. A player with over 100 games already, who could step right in and take Schenn’s spot tomorrow. He just doesn’t have McIssac’s upside.

You can’t build your D through UFA signings. They have to add some young dmen into their system and stop the bleeding.

Reactions: sting101

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010

So absolutely, they should be taking deals like Schenn for McIssac and a 3rd rounder, over just a 2nd rounder.
Their d depth is absolutely horrible but no they shouldnt take a player whos likely to be a bottom pairing dman and 3rd over an additional contract spot and a 2nd.

That contract spot and higher pick is more important as they would get a better quality player in the draft, and then a contract spot for an ncaa player this year along the lines of livingstone

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Canucks management is unable to develop 50% of the 1st rounders they draft.

Assuming a 3rd round pick will end up on the team is insane. A 2nd rounder to the Canes, Bolts or Wings has value. A 2nd rounder to the Canucks just gives us a topic to argue about for 2-4 years.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

It might be the worst we’ve seen (in the NHL) in recent memory. Guarantee it’s the worst I can ever remember for the Canucks.

Every single asset they move, they need to make an effort to acquire an under 25 young player/prospect.

I mentioned the other day, I wouldn’t count out the Detroit, Buffalo or Ottawa types when it comes to Schenn. Teams they could pluck a decent/good young player from, who’s likely not in those team’s long-term plans. Simply because they have too many prospects.

So instead of a 2nd, they take a 3rd or 4th, and that player. A player who’s already developed for a few years, who will be an NHL player, who’s going to play 200+ NHL games, but likely does it for a different team.

I mentioned McIssac from Detroit. Former 2nd rounder and a Team Canada leader at World Juniors a few years ago. A player who struggle with injuries for 2 years but has been healthy for the last 2 years and is developing right where he was expected to. Still only 22 years old and will absolutely play in the NHL.

His problem is, he’s now 4th on the Wings LHD prospect list behind Edvinsson, Wallinder and Johansson. So his chances of being traded in the next two years is pretty good.

When Rathbone is the best thing they have in the system, which includes Pettersson and Jurmo from last year’s draft, it’s as empty as it gets. To the desperation of signing Johansson after the Wild declined to sign their former 1st round pick. A player who at 23, still lacks physical strength and likely never plays in the NHL.

McIssac would be at the top of the Canucks prospect list for dmen. In fact, they need to do this for 2-3 years, just to replenish the system and pray their new scouting staff and evaluators, start hitting on some picks this coming draft.

32 spots in a draft of 18 year old kids, isn’t worth more than a player who will play 200+ games for you.

Could also see a Foote trade from Tampa for Schenn. Or with Buffalo, a 3rd and Ryan Johnson, or another dman who’s likely not in Buffalo’s plans.

Too many people on HF Judge everything by what amounts to 10-15% of how NHL rosters are built. 1st round picks, former 1st round picks, and players who play in the NHL at 20-21. Forgetting that 90% of players go through development years.

A 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick takes 5-6 years to contribute in almost every case. 2-3 years before we even know if they will likely play in the league.

Because of how empty their prospect pool on D is, they can’t be subtracting from their blue line and not getting players in return. So they have to target certain players who would probably be available from teams who are loaded with dmen prospects.

Yzerman isn’t who brought Schenn to Tampa but Lalonde has a history with him, and he is the type of dman who Yzerman adds at deadlines. With the way his team is currently playing, and having those games in-hand, people shouldn’t discount Detroit adding. Especially a player like Schenn who fills a spot on their bottom pair.

For those who seem to think a player like McIssac is just a body with no upside. Meet Jake Walman!! And McIssac is only 22. Lindstrom at 24, would be a better comparison to Walman. A player with over 100 games already, who could step right in and take Schenn’s spot tomorrow. He just doesn’t have McIssac’s upside.

You can’t build your D through UFA signings. They have to add some young dmen into their system and stop the bleeding.
If the Canucks need NHL players, NHL bodies will be waived. Canucks should take the best futures they can get. If the team sucks a bit more this season, that's fine.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Canucks management is unable to develop 50% of the 1st rounders they draft.

Assuming a 3rd round pick will end up on the team is insane. A 2nd rounder to the Canes, Bolts or Wings has value. A 2nd rounder to the Canucks just gives us a topic to argue about for 2-4 years.
while I do agree with you, the old regime is Benning is a bunch of stooges. The new one under Allvin has a larger staff and the player development team is more specialized. I would give them the benefit of doubt, so far Coliton is doing a pretty good job and there is a lot more communication between the arms of the hockey ops.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Most of those players will find themselves on the waiver wire in the near future. Vancouver needs higher impact players and if a 2nd is available for Schenn they should be jumping on it.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Part of Schenn’s appeal is his tiny cap hit. He is really a 3/4 rd depth. In an open market he is probably worth a 4th or 5th, but he could fetch a 3rd.
For sure he can get a 2nd without cap dump. He has very low cap hit now, prorated and no term while being serviceable 5th to 6th damn that could also play top 4 in emergency cases.

Pretty weird that Luke Schenn is big trade news in 2023. Guy looked done at the end of his time in LA 6 years ago.
He has rejuvenated with lightning and Canucks and is a reliable bottom pairing dman at the very least. Him playing to pairing with Hughes just shows he can be relied upon.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Ummm, I said he could get a 3rd, you said reports are a 3rd, how am I “very wrong”? Lol?
You said he can get 4th or 5th and at most 3rd lol. He would have been traded 2 months ago if Canucks only wanted a 4th or a 3rd. That's very cheap price to pay for Schenn.

Umm cars exist bro
You want a 9 month pregnant woman that is due for delivery next week to take a long road trip in a car? Common sense anyone???

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I'm going to agree with you. I think his value is a 3rd never a 2nd like some of the Vancouver Twitterverse think. He will only get a 2nd or more if Vancouver is taking cap back.
His value is a 3rd but with a bidding war he can get a 2nd no problem. If you are a team in desperate need of good depth D like Schenn and you see other teams easily give up 3rds, you would outbid them by giving Vancouver a 2nd round pick to guarantee the trade. That's how it works in TDL

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Im convinced this Luke Schenn trade is part of a bigger package.

It would have been completed by now if it was just Schenn for a pick.

I'm actually starting to get excited that theres a chance tht a GM will be dumb enough to give the Canucks a 1st or a top prospect like Lysell.

Wowza..

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I love Schenn as a Canuck but even id tell ya that a 2nd round pick or a return of that value is a major overpayment.

I'm not saying he wont return that, because weve seen GMs get desperate at this time of the year before but all im saying is Allvin will be that woman in the ikea commercial if anybody offers a 2nd for Schenn.

It only takes one team to give Canucks that 2nd. Schenn is in demand and lots of teams will easily offer 3rd or 4th for his services, no question.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
3rd is my guess.

amen brother

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

I'm actually starting to get excited that theres a chance tht a GM will be dumb enough to give the Canucks a 1st or a top prospect like Lysell.

Wowza..
Now that is dreaming big time. If JR managed to pull that off then he deserves a statue built in his honor I. Front of Rogers arena 🤣

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Wowza..
Take Lohrei over Lysell 10/10

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
it cost Ottawa a 2nd and 4th to dump a crap contract so yes, cap space is really valuable.
Will it cost boston a 1st or Lysell to dump a less crappy contract but in doing so they also pick up Schenn who is probably worth a late 2nd? mayyyybbbeeee.
Its an interesting idea for sure. Vancouver did also mention that they were open to taking on cap dumps ...
so they move Schenn,take on a bad contract and get an A-piece... makes sense for them but almost too good to be true
Hey it could happen with Boston. They would be idiots to not go all the way this season so Boston will gladly give up a 1st for making sure they have higher chance to win the cup and clearing cap space at this time will cost team a lot. Especially teams like Boston that want to add more at trade deadline and need to clear cap in a hurry

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I mean.....he got a chance with the Canucks, impressed, went to Tampa and won two consecutive cup, then came back to the Canucks and again impressed. And he has NHL minimum salary.

Anyways.....he should return something around a 2nd or 3rd.

But yeah, stay at home defencemen at the deadline always surprise. I always reference Douglas Murray on his last legs returning two 2nds when thinking of how silly GM's get at the deadline.
Canucks have the right formula. Just sign him to 1 year deals and trade him on TDL every year for 2nd picks...profit?

How many trades have been done but needs another deal, that means the deals not done......

No kidding, slow as molasses
Have you seen Myers play??? And he get paid 6 mil to play top 4 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad