Confirmed with Link: Luke Richardson Hired as Assistant Coach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
can you link or PM me the report ? I'm intrigued and curious

This was data I collected on Dec 15th. I plan on doing it again but it takes a lot of time. These are pure draft picks and don't factor in trades. If the player is traded, the points still go to the team the drafts that player (also makes it easier to track). It's a measure of each teams ability to generate NHL players and compares their quantity of picks, average picks, and how many top 10 picks.

I think the Caps are one of the best drafting teams. 0 top 10 picks and only 37 total picks but look at where they rank in pts and pts/game.

I also posted the 2008-2011 draft years as well. And the combined last 10 years. It's interesting to see how the 2008-2011 draft years drag us down.

8TbBL5b.jpg

1GpbC8t.jpg

cfB3GYc.jpg

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Isn't he from Ottawa? If so he probably speaks some French

60% of Ottawa citizens can only speak English, as opposed to the 1.5% of unilingual French speakers.

The largest chunk of bilingual citizens comes from native French speakers, as is usual in Canada.

So statistically? No, he probably doesn't speak much, if any, French.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
60% of Ottawa citizens can only speak English, as opposed to the 1.5% of unilingual French speakers.

The largest chunk of bilingual citizens comes from native French speakers, as is usual in Canada.

So statistically? No, he probably doesn't speak much, if any, French.

Put him in the doesn’t speak much category. What that actually means, who knows? At least the desire is there.

On learning to speak French:
“I have a background, obviously, growing up in Ottawa with a little bit of French. But leaving there at 16, it’s been a while. So definitely something I plan on working on this summer and continuing through the season. I think it’s important.”

A Q&A with new Canadiens assistant coach Luke Richardson

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Prior to last year and the year before that, the lack of development propaganda posters told me this...

Lehkonen: Nothing special.. going back over seas before the season starts.
Scherbak: Likely a bust
Hudon: Career AHL player
Juulsen: Nothing special. Sly will destroy him.
Mete: You are being too high on him too early. They said remember Kristo?
DLR: He is a bust
McCarron: He is a bust.
Sergachev: He looks lost out there. Don't count on him playing in the NHL as a 19 year old.

Hey, they were right with one player. A lot of people were fooled with thinking our 2012 and forward picks would turn into Leblanc, Tinordi, Kristo, Beaulieu. Comparing the 2012+ picks from the 2008-2011 picks is night and day difference
It's quite funny to hear you say propaganda development when yourself wanted Sly fired because he failed to instill a winning culture or do much of anything in the AHL, which is about development.
He failed, there was no propaganda, just because we also had bad drafting from 08-11 doesn't mean they also didn't completely suck at development.

And you're nitpicking what a few posters said as if it was the general tone here. It wasn't. Most people were happy with Sergachev and very excited, some even said it made Subban expendable.

Also, you failed to acknowledge the argument many made that even if your prospects turn out to be crap, management is still at fault for not getting the most out of them.
Collberg Is great example. Bergevin did a very good job moving him for Vanek while still valuable, one of the few good Bergy moves.
He failed to do the same with many prospects, he did the opposite actually and waited until they had close to no value, if any.

There was no propaganda. They were completely right to question the development staff, just like nobody was "hating" on Bergy either, he was and is a terrible GM that needs to be fired. You were simply too blinded by our record to be objectively constructive here and resorted to classic HF slurs like "hater". But you now see the light, good on you.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And frankly that's a concern about CJ. A lot better than MR, no question. But still a guy who I think has the " young fella needs to earn his way up " approach.

I mean I get that philosophy. But it's outdated. There are good players in the AHL who do even better in the NHL right off . Why ? They get to play with better players and that's a bigger factor than the stiffer competition.

DLR, if you want to see if he has anything , has to play decent minutes as you say with decently skilled linemates.

But you can just see CJ shoving him on the 4rh line with the least skilled wingers on the whole roster. Pleks being 3C. Hope to be wrong.
Agreed...that's my biggest concern with CJ, his reluctance to trust younger players.

It's part of the reason he was fired in Boston and they took off after hiring Cassidy and him trusting more of his younger players (see Heinen, DeBrusk, MacAvoy).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed...that's my biggest concern with CJ, his reluctance to trust younger players.

It's part of the reason he was fired in Boston and they took off after hiring Cassidy and him trusting more of his younger players (see Heinen, DeBrusk, MacAvoy).

We are stuck with Bergevin and Julien for what? 4 more years? That is a lot of money for Molson to write off if they are let go early. I also agree with the concern with Julien and I'm not so sure he is the right coach for us moving forward. He ran a terrible camp last September too.. Players got too comfortable after MT was fired. Say what you want to say about MT but he had the players ready when the season started.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We are stuck with Bergevin and Julien for what? 4 more years? That is a lot of money for Molson to write off if they are let go early. I also agree with the concern with Julien and I'm not so sure he is the right coach for us moving forward. He ran a terrible camp last September too.. Players got too comfortable after MT was fired. Say what you want to say about MT but he had the players ready when the season started.
CJ is going to have to change his ways if he wants to see out his contract with the Habs...the league is trending more towards younger players making an impact, sooner.

There's no longer this old school mentality of "earn your way up" by playing behind retread veterans for 2-3-4yrs until you finally get your shot. With the salary cap, being able to have young players' on ELC's who can contribute is huge.

CJ's either going to catch this wave...or get swallowed up by it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
CJ is going to have to change his ways if he wants to see out his contract with the Habs...the league is trending more towards younger players making an impact, sooner.

There's no longer this old school mentality of "earn your way up" by playing behind retread veterans for 2-3-4yrs until you finally get your shot. With the salary cap, being able to have young players' on ELC's who can contribute is huge.

Agreed. There is a lot of focus on new attitude and a rebound for several players but Julien also needs to be better and adjust to the direction of our team. However, I think Molson/Bergevin/Julien have a different idea on the direction of our team vs most fans.

It's hard to gauge cause some will listen to what Molson/Bergevin/Julien are saying but none of us know what strategy they have behind the scenes. However, we really need to give DLR more opportunity and it remains to be seen if Pleky blocks this.

Reactions: 417

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
people keep saying CJ this and CJ, they either forget or omit the fact, we hired a very very high profile assistant, that to me will have much more control then any assistant, and in fact, he will be like a head coach in waiting.

This year young players will get a full chance. that is the only thing i am sure about. the rest no

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
people keep saying CJ this and CJ, they either forget or omit the fact, we hired a very very high profile assistant, that to me will have much more control then any assistant, and in fact, he will be like a head coach in waiting.

This year young players will get a full chance. that is the only thing i am sure about. the rest no

Serious question..

Are you referring to Richardson as a very very high profile assistant and possible head coach in waiting?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

That's not true though... Julien was using many of those players, and was a big part of developping Marchand.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Ducharme ?

Yeah.

In any other market Richardson would be considered the high profile assistant hire, having hundreds of NHL games coached already on his resume and whatnot.

In any other market Ducharme is a footnote hire with zero pro experience and a lot to prove. Here he's designated head coach in waiting.

In any other market we might have a chance at a Cup.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm already done with CJ. He needs to be right behind Bergevin when they're both shown the door. And that needs to happen right away.

Reactions: montreal

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Yeah.

In any other market Richardson would be considered the high profile assistant hire, having hundreds of NHL games coached already on his resume and whatnot.

In any other market Ducharme is a footnote hire with zero pro experience and a lot to prove. Here he's designated head coach in waiting.

In any other market we might have a chance at a Cup.

Ducharme, seems was not a footnote with our canadian junior team.
Ducharme would be a high profile in any market

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's not true though... Julien was using many of those players, and was a big part of developping Marchand.
Such as?

Heinen & DeBrusk didn't get a shot under Julien...Well Heinen got 8 games under Julien in 2016-17.

DeBrusk didn't get a sniff despite having a good first year in the AHL.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I get coaches are short term in their objectives, but we are going nowhere this year.

CJ needs to accept the young guys will make mistakes but he needs to play them with the right line mates , in the right role and TOI.

We are so deep in young guys at forward, especially on the wing. Our top centre prospects are at least a year away. What we need to see is if any of the guys we have are top 6 players. Bit hard to do without adequate centres, but we have 2 wingers in Domi and Drouin who can be playmakers on their lines. Guys like Hudon, Scherbak and Lehkonen need to have the chance, and this year is ripe for doing that. Do we have guys that can maybe be 20 goal men, maybe a 30 goal guy ? Do we have potential n0.3 and 4 D men ? We need to start figuring this out, so CJ needs to play them where they can be successful.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Such as?

Heinen & DeBrusk didn't get a shot under Julien...Well Heinen got 8 games under Julien in 2016-17.

DeBrusk didn't get a sniff despite having a good first year in the AHL.

Marchand grew under Julien.

Carlso, Pastrnak, Vatrano were all given big roles.

Heinen, Debrusk and McAvoy started their nhl careers in 2017-2018 (minus 8 games for heinen), like you say, but Julien wasn't exactly Dallas Eakins'ing these guys on depth roles 5 minutes a game.

That he didn't rush up guys who were very young doesn't mean those were bad decisions, they were playing big AHL minutes and other young guys got chances on the team.

You can just as easily say him not rushing them allowed them to be ready to come up next year ready for the nhl.

Reactions: HBDay

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Marchand grew under Julien.
Yes correct, when Marchand started off, he got his opportunity under Julien....8yrs ago.

Carlso, Pastrnak, Vatrano were all given big roles.

Brandon Carlo - Agreed...

Pastrnak - His rookie year he was 11th in TOI/GP on the Bruins...his second year...he ws 8th in TOI/GP....it wasn't until his 3rd year with the Bruins where his icetime went up, and it really spiked up AFTER CJ was fired.

Vatrano - he was a bit player with the Bruins...never really got a shot under CJ, although he's not very good.

Heinen, Debrusk and McAvoy started their nhl careers in 2017-2018 (minus 8 games for heinen), like you say, but Julien wasn't exactly Dallas Eakins'ing these guys on depth roles 5 minutes a game.
I didn't say he was...but he certainly wasn't as comfortable giving them roles as Cassidy was.

Even CJ with the Habs, this past year...even when it was clear the season was done, CJ was still reluctant to expand the roles of some of our younger players.

That he didn't rush up guys who were very young doesn't mean those were bad decisions, they were playing big AHL minutes and other young guys got chances on the team.

You can just as easily say him not rushing them allowed them to be ready to come up next year ready for the nhl.
I didn't say it's necessarily bad...but it's not always good.

You have to challenge your players, CJ likes his veterans...there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but as I said, the league is moving towards younger players making an impact, sooner.

I don't think CJ is going to have much of a choice this year...with Weber, Byron, Pacioretty either hurt to start the year or not with the team (I anticipate we wont' be seeing Pacioretty this year) and guys like Plekanec, Schlemko, Alzner, Benn being more depth veterans at this point, I don't think he's going to be able NOT to trust his young players.

Reactions: jaffy27

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yes correct, when Marchand started off, he got his opportunity under Julien....8yrs ago.

Brandon Carlo - Agreed...

Pastrnak - His rookie year he was 11th in TOI/GP on the Bruins...his second year...he ws 8th in TOI/GP....it wasn't until his 3rd year with the Bruins where his icetime went up, and it really spiked up AFTER CJ was fired.

Vatrano - he was a bit player with the Bruins...never really got a shot under CJ, although he's not very good.

I didn't say he was...but he certainly wasn't as comfortable giving them roles as Cassidy was.

Even CJ with the Habs, this past year...even when it was clear the season was done, CJ was still reluctant to expand the roles of some of our younger players.

I didn't say it's necessarily bad...but it's not always good.

You have to challenge your players, CJ likes his veterans...there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but as I said, the league is moving towards younger players making an impact, sooner.

I don't think CJ is going to have much of a choice this year...with Weber, Byron, Pacioretty either hurt to start the year or not with the team (I anticipate we wont' be seeing Pacioretty this year) and guys like Plekanec, Schlemko, Alzner, Benn being more depth veterans at this point, I don't think he's going to be able NOT to trust his young players.

Maybe they developped well for Cassidy because Julien let them grow in the AHL? How are you avoiding that?

He's not dallas eakins

Last edited:
Reactions: HBDay

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Ducharme, seems was not a footnote with our canadian junior team.
Ducharme would be a high profile in any market

Sure, he was successful with our junior team. So are most coaches who get to work with the best players in the world, at any level, to be fair. Also, coaching extremely motivated, coachable teenagers is a far cry from coaching jaded millionaire pros with inflated egos.

I'd prefer to see some results at the pro level prior to anointing a guy with 0 NHL games as a possible CJ replacement.

Haven't we been down the 'hire a rookie coach cause he speaks french' road enough times already? We could at least recycle Vigneault again before doing that...:sarcasm:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
As we know, Detroit has for the most part drafted late these past couple of decades. But they have turned up some good players anyway. Maybe not elite, but top 6, top 9 guys.

Look at guys like Tartar, Mantha, Hudler etc, and you see them playing 2-3-4 years of the AHL. At a point where the numbers go up, and for a period of time, they get a call up. Was looking at Nyquist also and he got a fairly early call up but it was almost 60 games in the AHL where he was about a PPG. Went up for 18, did nothing and so back down next season and again over 50 games at that PPG before being called up.

Like I say, not exactly stars but there is nothing wrong is adding 2nd line 20 plus goal scorers. Common denominator is letting the guy stew ( in a good way in the AHL) until he has success, and let that success occur over a healthy number of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad