Player Discussion Luke Kunin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I keep seeing flashes of potential with him. That Parise-esque short-handed forecheck where he almost scored on Smith's mishandle was exactly what I want to see him do.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Eh....the only thing i like so far is that he is pretty physical for a young guy. Don't see much else, but it's very early in his career. I guess he doesn't make a lot of mistakes, either. At this point, he looks like an average NHL 4th liner.

I do want to see if he can get his shot at this level at some point.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Game 1: Hits
Game 2: Hits + shots
Game 3: Hits + shots + assists

That must make game 4 where Lukey Q9 scores his first NHL goal. I’m still mad he missed that wide open net on the penalty kill.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not mad or anything. Just want to see him develop into a top 6 guy.

Ek hasn't been great, either. Again, it's still early, but I expected more from him.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Not really worried about either, TBH. Kunin is 19 and JEE is 20. One has 2 points in 3 games and the other has 2 points in 6 games.

I think they're both still getting used to the game's speed at this level.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
after watching coyle , granlund & zucker take time to develop im trying to be more patient with my expectations of young players. kunin is a well rounded player who has decent talent. whether hes an instant success or needs time i hope hes as good as i think he is. ( a slower version of zucker)

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I think he has been just fine in his, what ... 3rd NHL game? Progressively better each game and was noticeable in a good way against the Flames. Sure would have liked him to bury his one golden opportunity. Kid's going to develop just fine. I think some need to temper the expectations!

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Not really worried about either, TBH. Kunin is 19 and JEE is 20. One has 2 points in 3 games and the other has 2 points in 6 games.

I think they're both still getting used to the game's speed at this level.

And won't be 20 until December. He doesn't look starstruck at all, and looks to have some diverse elements to his game at an NHL level. I know there have been diverse opinions on this, but watching buzz around reminds me sooo much of ZP.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Eh....the only thing i like so far is that he is pretty physical for a young guy. Don't see much else, but it's very early in his career. I guess he doesn't make a lot of mistakes, either. At this point, he looks like an average NHL 4th liner.

I do want to see if he can get his shot at this level at some point.

During Koivu's first NHL season, I was young and expected results to come quickly. He didn't have a ton of offense to his game, but showed flashes, and had good hands. He was also defensively responsible (which I think Kunin largely is, though probably not to the same degree as Koivu was). I saw flashes of great play from him, but in the end I mostly saw a 3rd-4th liner in Koivu, and couldn't see the player he would become, while many others could. I've seen some good things out of Kunin that suggest more than a 4th liner (like I did with Koivu). Flashes. What he needs, and what pretty much every rookie needs, is consistency. I think consistency is usually what separates the bottom and middle 6 tweeners from the true 1st and 2nd line talent. Maybe he finds it, or maybe he doesn't, but the skill is there.

Reactions: 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd still like to see us develop him more as a center, but maybe with Tuch out of the system and Kaprizov in limbo, it's not that important anymore.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd still like to see us develop him more as a center, but maybe with Tuch out of the system and Kaprizov in limbo, it's not that important anymore.

To me, he seems like Granlund in the sense that, yes, we could develop him as a C, and sure, he'd do OK there, but if you want him to really be an impact player, put him on the wing with a guy like Eriksson Ek (when they're older and more seasoned), and Coyle/Nino, and watch the magic happen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

It's nice in theory, but he'd have 2 seasons in the AHL before he played any meaningful NHL minutes as a center. Unless Koivu, Staal or JEE get traded or injured Kunin wouldn't be anything more than a great AHL or 4C in Minny. Seems like a waste of a cheap asset when the team is always cash strapped.

To me, he seems like Granlund in the sense that, yes, we could develop him as a C, and sure, he'd do OK there, but if you want him to really be an impact player, put him on the wing with a guy like Eriksson Ek (when they're older and more seasoned), and Coyle/Nino, and watch the magic happen.

I disagree. Granny's 2 biggest shortcomings (for me) as a center were: his lack of a physical game, and willingness to shoot the puck. Kunin isn't lacking either of those, and he plays with a 200ft game mindset.

Kunin might not amount to any more than Granny and Coyle have at center. But he is along the lines of what you'd get if you morphed the 2 of them together. Coyle lacks Granny's drive/heart, Granny lacks Coyle's physical game/size.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
No...there isn't any 10 game limit with him. I'm not going to talk about the exact rules since I know I'll get them wrong but I'm almost positive Kunin is on his first year of his pro contract no matter what we do.

Reactions: 2Pair

Wabit

May 23, 2016
congrats kunin 1st nhl goal & a shortie! do you think the wild cap his games at 9 & send him back down?

That probably, partially, depends on Nino's recovery, and any other injuries. They really don't have another difference makers in Iowa that come close to his ability.

He's playing well enough to make a case not to be sent down. I'd rather keep Kunin in Minny and send Ennis to Iowa, it's the same cap hit (not counting bonuses).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
congrats kunin 1st nhl goal & a shortie! do you think the wild cap his games at 9 & send him back down?

As Dee oh cee said, his ELC is started regardless of where he plays. The cut off for being able to toll a year of the ELC is being under 20 on December 31st. He turns 20 on Dec 4, so he's a month to old.

His ELC is going to start no matter where he plays, so if he plays like he belong in the NHL he'll get NHL minutes (as long as the cap allows it).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Personally, it wouldn't shock me at all if once we're healthy to the point someone has to go down, it's JEE that goes and he gets a chance at 3C. I think with every game Kunin is making it more of an even competition and wearing away the advantage JEE has as basically "incumbent" during the pre-season.

Healthy competition between those two could be great for us long term, constantly pushing eachother to be better. Keep the hot hand, and if one tails off in the NHL switch them.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Personally, it wouldn't shock me at all if once we're healthy to the point someone has to go down, it's JEE that goes and he gets a chance at 3C. I think with every game Kunin is making it more of an even competition and wearing away the advantage JEE has as basically "incumbent" during the pre-season.

Healthy competition between those two could be great for us long term, constantly pushing eachother to be better. Keep the hot hand, and if one tails off in the NHL switch them.

JEE has been playing good hockey too. I don't think either of them have outplayed the other so far.

It's not really a decision that has to be made until at least Nino and Coyle are both back. I do agree about the healthy competition between them.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i just hope kunin learns from staal ; zucker & granlund. i just need to keep my expectations low. i do really like the way he plays.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ek has been solid on the offensive end, but has been pretty bad in his own end. He has turned over quite a few pucks and is usually relegated to just chipping pucks off of the glass to clear the zone. He could really use a guy like Nino or Coyle to help him break in. If Kunin can continue to have chemistry with Staal, it sets the Wild up nicely to run a very good top 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad