Player Discussion Luke Kunin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd venture even the best centers would look better at Wing, because it's an easier position to play with minimal D responsibilities and you can just concentrate on offense.

But that's what makes good Centers valuable, and Kunin looked pretty great to me at C during the WJC. I'd suspect Fletcher/BB view him as a C long term until he shows that he can't do it.

If that's the case, then it would be nice for him to play that position in his developmental years. I know injuries have thrown a wrench into it, and if everything was normal he'd be doing the 20 minutes per game at center in the AHL thing, but it's not going to be easy to learn center on-the-fly at the NHL level. Especially since he didn't stick there at the college level.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If that's the case, then it would be nice for him to play that position in his developmental years. I know injuries have thrown a wrench into it, and if everything was normal he'd be doing the 20 minutes per game at center in the AHL thing, but it's not going to be easy to learn center on-the-fly at the NHL level. Especially since he didn't stick there at the college level.
As long as the minutes are fine, I don't have a problem with him learning on the job at the NHL level. He'd hardly be the first or last rookie to do it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think it’s because he can’t play center but rather he looks better at wing. He definitely looked better on the wing for Wisconsin.

Yup. I hope that Kunin develops into a sniper who can take care of himself physically, and won't embarrass himself outside the O-zone. As much as a I love Defense and two way play, you've got to have a couple of guys who are flat out scorers on your team. I think Kunin might be that guy. The defensive demands of playing C are such that it saps your energy from playing offense, unless you are a player with superior speed, size, or vision. I don't see any of that with Kunin. I see desire, bit of toughness, and, maybe, a nose for the net.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

This is the crux of it for me. It's great to see him doing well in the NHL right now, but if it's a choice between keeping him in Minnesota playing on the wing or sending him to Iowa to play at center I hope they choose the latter.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker - Coyle - Granlund
Nino - Eriksson Ek - Kunin

Future?

Throw in Greenway and KK...maybe a Sokolov or someone like that it doesn't look that bad. Might have to look at drafting a first round dman in 2018 or 2019.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
I think of Kunin as Zach jr, Zach didn't hit the NHL until 21. Kunin is 19. He just has the same instincts and competitiveness, it factor. Damn mature player for his age.

Not a McDavid or Eichel, i.e. offensive superstar, but total player, yes.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Anyway to move comments about Greenway to the Greenway thread or prospect thread?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I hope someone impresses on Kunin that we don't need more gritty 4 th liners who can fight. We need someone who uses his hands for shooting, not punching. Have yet to see him use his shot much, and that's supposed to be one of his strong points.

Reactions: Monkeypox

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I hope someone impresses on Kunin that we don't need more gritty 4 th liners who can fight. We need someone who uses his hands for shooting, not punching. Have yet to see him use his shot much, and that's supposed to be one of his strong points.

Needs to be able to get into position to do that, and it hasn't come easy (as could be expected for almost any 19/20 year old).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Needs to be able to get into position to do that, and it hasn't come easy (as could be expected for almost any 19/20 year old).

Kunin even holding his own in the NHL as a 19-20 rookie is more than most players can handle. The shots and goals will come, he seems to be focused more on being a good 2-way player right now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kunin has 17 shots in ten NHL games. But those are the facts so:dunno:

Not all shots are equal, 11 of those shots are from 20+ feet out. He's missed a few prime scoring chances.

kuninlu97

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Not all shots are equal, 11 of those shots are from 20+ feet out. He's missed a few prime scoring chances.

kuninlu97
I know this but that wasn’t the comment the comment was Kunin hasn’t been using his shot at all which is obviously false by evidence.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
He's finding his way at a young age, and trying to help pick up a sagging team. I couldn't be happier from what I've seen. Not too often you see a 19 year old with the acumen to try and pick his team up.

Let's get the A-Team on board, the see what happens.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's finding his way at a young age, and trying to help pick up a sagging team. I couldn't be happier from what I've seen. Not too often you see a 19 year old with the acumen to try and pick his team up.

Let's get the A-Team on board, the see what happens.

I hope you mean the Mr. T version of the A-team, not whatever the heck that remake of it was.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's nice to see them giving Kunin a shot at C given JEE has been unable to win a faceoff.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
JEE should work with Granny on that...I remember Granlund not being able to win one then focused on it for an offseason or something and I think he's pretty dang good now. Well, at least he always seems to win them when Koivu is always kicked out :laugh:.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i think kunin looks fine , im actually not that impressed with JEE however koivu , coyle & even granlund took awhile to develop into quality nhl players so no need to panic. i still think kunin has the potential to be a slower version of zucker , hes showing signs of being very sneaky & creative. i like it!

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
i think kunin looks fine , im actually not that impressed with JEE however koivu , coyle & even granlund took awhile to develop into quality nhl players so no need to panic. i still think kunin has the potential to be a slower version of zucker , hes showing signs of being very sneaky & creative. i like it!
I would like Ek with somebody other than fourth liners before I really Judge.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
JEE should work with Granny on that...I remember Granlund not being able to win one then focused on it for an offseason or something and I think he's pretty dang good now. Well, at least he always seems to win them when Koivu is always kicked out :laugh:.

I think the new FO rules are more to Granny's liking, not as many tieups and him getting out muscled. He was around 48.5% when he was taking a lot of FOs, the ones he seemed to win consistently (iirc)were the clean first to the puck type. JEE has won 4 of his last 33 FO's (ouch) in the last 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad