Player Discussion Luke Kunin

Status
Not open for further replies.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Kunin has played with a better line in my opinion, I like the fact that both are noticeable in not bad ways.

Its funny which players are most noticeable this year. Not players I would have guessed before the season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
JEE has been playing good hockey too. I don't think either of them have outplayed the other so far.

It's not really a decision that has to be made until at least Nino and Coyle are both back. I do agree about the healthy competition between them.
I have zero problems with the game JEE has been playing. He's been solid in the O zone, strong on the puck and basically everything i've expected (maybe I expected a bit more in the D zone). I just think Kunin's played a bit better, and I think BB agree's given the responsibilities and icetime he's given him.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Both JEE and Kunin look really strong. They are going to be tough to get off the puck now and even more as they get stronger.

StormFather

Oct 10, 2017
What is the ceiling for a guy like Kunin? Does anyone have any projected 'comparables' as to what kind of player he would be like? If there is such a thing in hockey...

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
What is the ceiling for a guy like Kunin? Does anyone have any projected 'comparables' as to what kind of player he would be like? If there is such a thing in hockey...

I've seen stylistic comparisons ranging from Joe Pavelski to Mike Fisher.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Both JEE and Kunin look really strong. They are going to be tough to get off the puck now and even more as they get stronger.
I agree that they look reasonably strong for young players, but more when they don't have the puck. I don't see any strong keep away/ possession ability so far.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree that they look reasonably strong for young players, but more when they don't have the puck. I don't see any strong keep away/ possession ability so far.

To be fair to JEE, he hasn't really had much in the way of wings to work with so far this year.

Neither of them have had any consistency for line-mates. It's hard to keep possession when you are guessing where people will be. Plenty of pucks have gone net front or behind the net and the rotations are just a little off. Kunin and Staal seem to be getting on the same page. Foligno/JEE/Coyle looked decent (the letter I saw) in the preseason.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Agreed, but I didn't see any possession or keep away ability in Granlund during his rookie season, much less the ability to stay on his feet or keep hold of his stick. I swear, if I were Yeo, I would have glued it to his gloves. Point being, let's wait and see. They're going to get stronger, quicker, and they're going to eventually find chemistry with some line-mates, hopefully. That said, and it's a small sample size, I felt like Kunin had chemistry with Staal almost immediately.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Boudreau said on the radio this morning that he will get some powerplay time tonight.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He wasn't good on the WPG goal tonight... JEE.

With Kunin, I love him. He needs to stay up.
Agreed on JEE tonight, but in general he is very good defensively. Strong, too. Needs to chip in offensively, but there are so many moving pieces on the lower lines right now it's hard for him to get any chemistry going.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kunin has been good so far. Still need to see how he deals with the grind of an 82 game season. He'll slump at some point, how he deals with it, is yet to be seen. It could end up as a numbers game. Wild have a lot of wings, Iowa playing big minutes at center could be good for development.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kunin has been good so far. Still need to see how he deals with the grind of an 82 game season. He'll slump at some point, how he deals with it, is yet to be seen. It could end up as a numbers game. Wild have a lot of wings, Iowa playing big minutes at center could be good for development.

This is my biggest question regarding Kunin: whether or not the Wild have (or ever had) ambitions to develop him as a center instead of a wing. He seems to be able to handle the NHL pretty well as a wing, but having another forward that's at least comfortable at center would be nice. Not sure if it's really in the cards for him or not, though.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This is my biggest question regarding Kunin: whether or not the Wild have (or ever had) ambitions to develop him as a center instead of a wing. He seems to be able to handle the NHL pretty well as a wing, but having another forward that's at least comfortable at center would be nice. Not sure if it's really in the cards for him or not, though.

Every game that goes by affirms my opinion that when Coyle is back, JEE will go down and they'll give Kunin a shot at 3C.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't see Kunin as a C.

Quotes like this confuse me. There is nothing about his skill set that is obvious not a C territory. He played C at Wisconsin (and some wing), he played C at the WJC. He played C in Iowa, He played C in the preseason a bit. He's played center at every level except NHL regular season, and it's not like he doesn't have the D chops to do it based on everything we know about him.

He's obviously still got to prove that he can do it at the NHL level, but we haven't seen anything that suggests he can't at 19 years old.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don’t think it’s because he can’t play center but rather he looks better at wing. He definitely looked better on the wing for Wisconsin.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don’t think it’s because he can’t play center but rather he looks better at wing. He definitely looked better on the wing for Wisconsin.

I'd venture even the best centers would look better at Wing, because it's an easier position to play with minimal D responsibilities and you can just concentrate on offense.

But that's what makes good Centers valuable, and Kunin looked pretty great to me at C during the WJC. I'd suspect Fletcher/BB view him as a C long term until he shows that he can't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad