Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I am not sure thats the case because he was playing AHL games. Unless there was some kind of change because of COVID and no CHL season?
The only change is discussed involves the rule that forces players under 20 to go back to the CHL if they aren’t in the NHL. CHL who played 20 games in the AHL last season but wouldn’t normally be eligible for AHL because of their age can play in the AHL. It only applies to a handful of OHL players. (I don’t even know if it’s definitely happening or if it’s a sign that the CHL is open to giving exemptions to future players to play in the AHL after they are drafted but still 19.)

Reactions: Darkauron

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Luke is very young for his draft age, and he only got to play 18 USHL games before his injury and those were really where people were seeing a lot of the growth of his game.

Luke never got to play in U-18 or U-20 tournaments, he’s missed out on some development opportunities there too. That’s what COVID did to plenty (most? almost all?) of prospects and then his injury didn’t help things.

I don’t care when “some people” think he’s coming to the NHL, or the AHL, realistically it’s likely going to take more one year of college and we don’t win a prize for guessing how long it takes so I’m going to say I don’t know his future NHL debut date.

In the end, I knew were going to take Hughes and I was fine with it because I think he has a ton of upside. I probably liked Clarke a little more but I’m relieved I can blissfully ignore debates about his skating now and Kings fans get to break down his mechanics and his attitude towards the criticism of them.

And Edvinsson is young too and actually hasn’t played that much in the last two years. The claims that he was a “safe pick” or a similar pick to Hedman (or Larson) were wrong, he’s rawer and less advanced then either of them at the same age. Drafting him would have been betting on upside too. I preferred betting on Hughes upside but I get liking Edvinsson, there is some stuff that is intriguing there.

The Hughes pick has left the “at times irrationally shitting on competing prospects” stage to “at times irrationally panicking about his development” stage. He hasn’t gotten any less young and raw since the draft. Well he’s a week older and is taken part in this tourney after not skating for months after his surgery.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Apparently Hughes didn't play for USA White today at the WJC Showcase. He'll probably suit up tomorroow at 1PM when USA White faces Sweden.

Here are few thoughts I found on Twitter regarding his play at the Showcase so far:

He has 3 shots in 3 games, and from what I've read, he's playing pretty well so far. After months without playing and as one of the youngest players in the tournament, that's definitely encouraging. Can't wait to see him at Michigan at the the WJC (considering he makes it).

Last edited:

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Apparently Hughes didn't play for USA White today at the WJC Showcase. He'll probably suit up tomorroow at 1PM when USA White faces Sweden.

Here are few thoughts I found on Twitter regarding his play at the Showcase so far:

He has 3 shots in 3 games, and from what I've read, he's playing pretty well so far. After months without playing and as one of the youngest players in the tournament, that's definitely encouraging. Can't wait to see him at Michigan at the the WJC (considering he makes it).

Ottawa had to crush my dream of having Jake Samderson in our pipeline… damn you!

(Anaheim aren’t any better!)

Reactions: Guadana and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure Fitz :laugh:

I absolutely buy he didn't show his hand to anyone because that's a GM's job, to play his cards close to the vest. But there's no way he made that decision at 7 PM, they obviously finalized their internal board before then.
I mean I think it was fairly obvious Jack knew before the actual pick was made.

Reactions: glenwo2

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ottawa had to crush my dream of having Jake Samderson in our pipeline… damn you!

(Anaheim aren’t any better!)
After the draft Murray said he was taking whatever defenseman was left at 6th if one was gone so the only way we could have picked a defenseman at 7th was if all first five picks weren’t defensemen. That would have required Ottawa to go double forward or pick a goalie 5th, both very unlikely scenarios. (I was really hoping tho.) *sob*

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think he will, the LHD seems in good hands for the next 1-2 years with Graves and Smith in the top 4.
If someone from this duo will not handle it, Fitz must to trade some left defenseman or\and use\try all options we have in Utica. We dont need to rush Hughes. He has a lot to fix. I remember how Devils try to rush some players like Larsson, PZ and some swedes, and that only made it worse.

Reactions: My3Sons

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Hes a Hughes brother bigger than the other two so I would be surprised if Luke took longer than Quinn did (so not even two full NHL seasons)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That's needless. He will need tougher competition to continue growing and a 3rd year of college isn't going to provide that.

I mean pre NHL, so that could include Utica. Also, many of us said the same about Smith, but that ended up working pretty damn well.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I mean pre NHL, so that could include Utica. Also, many of us said the same about Smith, but that ended up working pretty damn well.

But Smith played in his 3rd year after being drafted. Obviously we'll see how Hughes develops but I think he should be ready after 2 years in college

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad