Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
There's no way that someone drafted this high should be in college in a D+3 year. Last guy I can think of who did that was Blake Wheeler drafted 15 years ago and he wanted to go UFA. A 20 year old drafted in the 1st round should be playing pro hockey in his D+3 year.
Given his birthdate and the position I do t think it would be the end of the world if it took two good years of development and he gets worked into the lineup in his third. Yes I’d be concerned about his potential if that’s the case but I think he’s a little different that he is only 17 now and has limited playing time during COVID .

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Because he's a year younger. You're comparing draft year Quinn which was 18 to draft year Luke who is 17. Quinn's 2 Michigan years were 18 and 19. Luke's 2 Michigan years will be 18 and 19.
Basically my thoughts. I do think it’s highly likely that he’ll be good to go after 2 NCAA years, but time will tell.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Their dad has stated Luke is better than Quinn was at this age.
Or he’s just trying to build up the hype. What better way to get people excited about your son going into his draft year than by saying that he’s better than his older brother who’s already seen as an NHL star was at the same age. That’s what I would do

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Or he’s just trying to build up the hype. What better way to get people excited about your son going into his draft year than by saying that he’s better than his older brother who’s already seen as an NHL star was at the same age. That’s what I would do
Quinn is actually the one who brought it up, but again, could be the same thing. Still exciting to hear.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
World Junior showcase: Jake Sanderson looks NHL ready, Aatu Raty gets buzz; plus USA's projected roster

Pronman’s World Junior Showcase recap had a brief Hughes mention in the questions.

“Luke had some good games some ordinary games. He's clearly among most talented players but didn't pop consistently.”
Is to be expected imo for a guy who has been injured and hasn't played in months (probably rusty). From what I take here, he didn't have terrible games, and the fact he's considered as the top group of players there at his age is a good sign.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Is to be expected imo for a guy who has been injured and hasn't played in months (probably rusty). From what I take here, he didn't have terrible games, and the fact he's considered as the top group of players there at his age is a good sign.

Also not even really his age group. He still hasn’t turned 18 and the World Juniors is generally a tournament where the 19 year olds shine the most

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Belated congrats to the Devils in getting Hughes. I see him as being the Dman most likely to reach his high ceiling.
His age plays into how i project him to be. Needs at least 1 more year of development but he should be destroying his competetion in his age 18 season.
Elite skating, elite playmaking and he may have another growth spurt to 6'3 & a half.
That combo of Size + Speed + Skill should make his game translate to the NHL very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad