Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Not to be a downer but plays like this are what worry some people about Luke Hughes. That is absolutely terrible D. Others teams forwards get by him too often off the rush and in other situations. Really needs to work on that.

Yeah, I think when people said he needs to improve in those areas they weren't expecting that improvement days after being drafted, in his 2nd game back after months off. Give him at least a bit of time lol

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It’s whatever. He’s 17, and is playing in only his 2nd game back after being off how long? Plenty of time to work on that stuff at Michigan.
It’s not close to whatever but yes he has time to work on it. We’re aren’t talking about that one play. It’s something that happened to him too often before his injury and he really needs to work on.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah, I think when people said he needs to improve in those areas they weren't expecting that improvement days after being drafted, in his 2nd game back after months off. Give him at least a bit of time lol
It’s not like I called him a bust just said he really needs to work on that

Reactions: Guadana

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Not to be a downer but plays like this are what worry some people about Luke Hughes. That is absolutely terrible D. Others teams forwards get by him too often off the rush and in other situations. Really needs to work on that.

image.jpg

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Yea I mean, that play just confirms what most of us already understand about Luke. He is plain and simple a very bad defensive player.

It's not like he can't improve, but it takes time. There is absolutely no chance in hell I bring him into the NHL after one year at Michigan, as there is no way his defensive game will be anywhere near NHL ready after only one year at college. The kids got a lot he needs to work on on both the defensive and offensive side of things. He wasn't selected 4th because of what he is right now. He was selected 4th because of what he can become. Be patient and we will be happy.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm not sure what being hurt before has to do with him handling that play terribly. It's a known thing he is not good defensively right now.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Damn that play was pretty tough to watch

Vancouver could use the cap space, quick lets trade him for Quinn

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Completely irrelevant. I wasn’t talking about this one play this was an example of a problem he has and needs to work on.

well i'm glad you posted that because there's been some ridiculous expectations from people (just like there was with Jack). I would not be surprised if it took 3 years for Luke to be up full-time (but i'm being hopeful for 2, definitely not less than 2).

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
well i'm glad you posted that because there's been some ridiculous expectations from people (just like there was with Jack). I would not be surprised if it took 3 years for Luke to be up full-time (but i'm being hopeful for 2, definitely not less than 2).

Most people have been very clear that they're expecting 2 years.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Most people have been very clear that they're expecting 2 years.

Check out my Draft Day One Recap thread for more detailed report on Luke Hughes' ETA. He's young, and two years at Michigan would really benefit him. Especially considering his draft-eligible season was derailed by injury. No need to rush the kid, his upside is immense.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Check out my Draft Day One Recap thread for more detailed report on Luke Hughes' ETA. He's young, and two years at Michigan would really benefit him. Especially considering his draft-eligible season was derailed by injury. No need to rush the kid, his upside is immense.

I was debating if I should bring it up or not but now that you're here, there were definitely people who were thinking Luke would be ready in 1 year. Only after you posted to expect 2 years did people lower their expectations.

I personally would be absolutely floored if he was ready in 1 year.

Reactions: StevenToddIves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad