Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
In his D+3 year, he'll be 20 years old the entire season. I'm not worried if he's still at Michigan then.

There's no way that someone drafted this high should be in college in a D+3 year. Last guy I can think of who did that was Blake Wheeler drafted 15 years ago and he wanted to go UFA. A 20 year old drafted in the 1st round should be playing pro hockey in his D+3 year.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
There's no way that someone drafted this high should be in college in a D+3 year. Last guy I can think of who did that was Blake Wheeler drafted 15 years ago and he wanted to go UFA. A 20 year old drafted in the 1st round should be playing pro hockey in his D+3 year.
Michigan/AHL, whatever, I don't care. If he's not in the NHL at age 20, it's not going to bother me one bit.

Reactions: The Wumpus

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Pretty sure the plan is for him to play 2 years at Michigan then play in Utica. That’s attainable. Not saying he’ll be NHL ready in his D+3 at 20 years old, but pro hockey (AHL), is definitely attainable.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Pretty sure the plan is for him to play 2 years at Michigan then play in Utica. That’s attainable. Not saying he’ll be NHL ready in his D+3 at 20 years old, but pro hockey (AHL), is definitely attainable.

I have a hard time believing the plan isn’t the NHL. It’s the NHL and if he isn’t ready then the AHL. Quinn debuted at the end of his D+1 at 19 and his rookie year was his D+2 at 20. For Luke that’s his D+2 at 19 after the college season is over if he’s ready or his D+3 at 20. I gotta believe that’s what they’re looking at

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Strengths of roster, goalies among topics in U.S. WJC general manager Q&A

What impresses you about defenseman Luke Hughes (New Jersey Devils), who will attend the University of Michigan in 2021-22?

"I see a lot more steadiness than any kind of flash. I think he's a very consistent skater. He can maintain his speed for a long shift, period of time, and it's hard to keep your energy up like that. I think that he's extremely smart and he's got his eyes up the ice all the time. [Vancouver Canucks defenseman] Quinn [Hughes] is a lot like that, he's got his eyes up and makes good first outlets, looking for a guy in a stretch play. He's in a tough family to jockey for position but I see him with his head and eyes up all the time. And as a guy playing with him, you want to receive a puck from Luke because he's going to find you. I also see him as a top guy on the power play. I think he can play the point. Wherever he goes next he's going to have to adapt to their game, but at the World Juniors he's going to have to defend first, and I think he wants to do that. He adapts quickly, just like brothers [New Jersey Devils forward] Jack [Hughes] and Quinn. At the top level you have to be a quick adapter. You look at the top defensemen in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and one of the guys that jumped out to me that really adjusted well was Ryan McDonagh (Tampa Bay Lightning). Luke's got a lot of McDonagh in him because he loves winning puck battles, battling a little bit more than you think. To me, Luke's a really good competitor and he's going to be a top guy."

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If he’s still in college in year three we’ll get paranoid he’d rather play with Quinn than Jack lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm more concerned/interested in how he performs this year than where he'll be in two or three years.

I am actually looking for a package that'll allow to see every Wolverine game...So if anybody knows of one please let me know.

Reactions: Guadana

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If he’s still in college in year three we’ll get paranoid he’d rather play with Quinn than Jack lol
Nahhh Luke and Jack are staying put here ;) If something happens, it’s way more likely that Quinn wants to come here than anything else lol.

2 years at Michigan and then he'll come to camp. He should be good enough to earn an NHL spot out of camp but starting in the AHL at the beginning of his D+3 year is not the end of the world. He should absolutely not stay in college for a 3rd year.
100% on this. 2 years at college and after he goes pro (If it’s not the NHL, then the AHL) to keep on developing his game forward.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Quick question for anyone who knows, can you play in the NCAA and be signed to an ELC? If not, I’d imagine he’ll sign to come play with the team and big bro/Utica after his two years in Michigan, as Quinn did with Vancouver before the seasons’ end in 2019 I believe.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Quick question for anyone who knows, can you play in the NCAA and be signed to an ELC? If not, I’d imagine he’ll sign to come play with the team and big bro/Utica after his two years in Michigan, as Quinn did with Vancouver before the seasons’ end in 2019 I believe.

no.

Once he signs, he cannot go back to college

Reactions: Devs3cups

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think NCAA rules forbid that. They are ostensibly amateurs (even though they probably work 40 hours per week on their sport and earn money for their university).

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think NCAA rules forbid that. They are ostensibly amateurs (even though they probably work 40 hours per week on their sport and earn money for their university).
Exactly, see post above, but yeah, players sign their ELC’s after their 1-2 years in college and come play pro. Can’t be signed to an ELC and play in college.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Quick question. Didn't the NCAA just change some of their rules (at least for some other sports)? I don't really follow any other sports, but I vaguely remember hearing that they relaxed some of their rules about signing contracts and still being eligible.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Quick question. Didn't the NCAA just change some of their rules (at least for some other sports)? I don't really follow any other sports, but I vaguely remember hearing that they relaxed some of their rules about signing contracts and still being eligible.

NCAA players are now able to sign endorsement deals and make money off of their likeness, which was previously prohibited

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

Nah the only thing that was changed is that NCAA players can sign advertisement deals and such now. Before hand they couldn't make any money from anything

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
221119535_10108495123176884_9190704224850851638_n.jpg

Late to the party after traveling last week. I adopted Michigan as my college hockey team back in 1996 due to Brendan Morrison. Santa brought me a new Michigan jersey last Christmas, so now I can be hipster and have it customized with Luke.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
lukes already made it clear he’s gonna go Quinn’s route and plan to go to
Michigan for 2 years, though he will obviously listen to what the devils suggest.

he will also be in the NHL after he finishes up at Michigan. If we are a playoff team next season when he finishes at Michigan he very well could be coming right into that like Makar.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Quinn jumped to the NHL right after his second Michigan season

I dont see why his bigger body brother would need AHL time if Quinn didnt

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
2 years at Michigan and then he'll come to camp. He should be good enough to earn an NHL spot out of camp but starting in the AHL at the beginning of his D+3 year is not the end of the world. He should absolutely not stay in college for a 3rd year.
Itd be disappointing, if Luke needed AHL time in his third year post-draft

not many top-5 dman picks spend more than two seasons developing before the jump to the NHL. And wed be competitive by then so hed be insulated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->