Lucic will have likely have hearing for hit on Joseph (upd: fined $10,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This whole idea that players - and not the NHL and the refs - ought to enforce rules and safety is beyond stupid. It has never worked, and will never work.

Has never worked and will never work? Except every former player and GM says it’s a needed and inherent part of the game. The refs look at penalties and they rarely rarely catch all the infractions tha that happen in a game. Only the players know what is and isn’t a bullshit play, and only players can determine if that situation could have been avoided or not. And only players can police the shit that happens in games.

Reactions: McRpro and Talonted

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

I missed the game last night so I am only just getting caught up now, but I got to agree with Tim here. The optics of the stalking look bad, but the trying to hold each other accountable is fine in my opinion. For years before we signed Lucic the Oilers were constantly questioned about why they were not standing up for their team mates and especially young players when questionable hits came in. This is Lucic doing one of the things we brought him in to do.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Another 15 or 20 games without a point and I see Lucic going full-on Jeff Kugel

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I missed the game last night so I am only just getting caught up now, but I got to agree with Tim here. The optics of the stalking look bad, but the trying to hold each other accountable is fine in my opinion. For years before we signed Lucic the Oilers were constantly questioned about why they were not standing up for their team mates and especially young players when questionable hits came in. This is Lucic doing one of the things we brought him in to do.

But what is he holding him accountable for? A soft rub out that guys like Lucic do all the time?

Lucic was mad that Russell was hurt and decided to exact some revenge for it. To suggest in any way that what he did was hold Joseph accountable for a nothing play is pure bullshit.

Reactions: Corby78

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
But what is he holding him accountable for? A soft rub out that guys like Lucic do all the time?

Lucic was mad that Russell was hurt and decided to exact some revenge for it. To suggest in any way that what he did was hold Joseph accountable for a nothing play is pure bull****.

Hit from behind, interfering with Nuge, and side swiping McDavid. Yeh those all happened in 1 game, and the refs didn’t do shit. Then Khaira AND Kassian invited him to dance and then Joseph didn’t do shit.

So now we’re in a situation where a dumb nut is running around taking liberties with THREE of our players. So either this dumb nut leaves the game feeling like he got away with all that bull crap sending a message to all the other dumb nuts in the league that they can do these things OR Lucic goes and roughs him up a bit and embarrasses him a bit.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McNobody was a -2 and had no points. That's funny. Joseph got rocked and so did the Oilers.

Oilers sucked and they lost. What does that have to do with the Lucic-Joseph incident where Joseph acted like and was treated like a B*TCH.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
For every poster who ever makes the lame argument: Players can't sue the league for concussions because they agree to fights and assume the risk ..... well there you go. Mathieu on the ice didn't agree to anything.

Lucic is, and always has been, a hot head who can't take it when other players play better than him and embarrass him... which happens with ever increasing frequency as his skating erodes more each day.

Gutless punk of a player. Tough /= hitting players who are defenseless or giving them a nutshot from behind.

Hope he gets a long suspension.

Reactions: berlin and ultra63

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Hit from behind, interfering with Nuge, and side swiping McDavid. Yeh those all happened in 1 game, and the refs didn’t do ****. Then Khaira AND Kassian invited him to dance and then Joseph didn’t do ****.

As I already said, and as anyone can see by watching the video I posted, the hit from behind was nothing. Lucic probably throws hits like that in practice. No one's talking about any other play by Joseph, so what am I to assume but it being your own bias as well?

Reactions: berlin

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Atta boy Lucic! Some policing and on top of that upsetting the sensitive NHL fanbase. Love it!

I mean emotions in a hockey game? Heaven forbid...#plug #uselessgoon #suspensionforlifeinwithasofteuroinstead

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Has never worked and will never work? Except every former player and GM says it’s a needed and inherent part of the game. The refs look at penalties and they rarely rarely catch all the infractions tha that happen in a game. Only the players know what is and isn’t a bull**** play, and only players can determine if that situation could have been avoided or not. And only players can police the **** that happens in games.

Lots of people believe in things. That doens't make it real.

Cheap shots happened in the days of fighting and no instigator penalties. "Policing" never worked and never did.

Other leagues have no fighting and there aren't any more cheapshots than leagues that have it. Myth. Next thing you'll tell me is that we have 4 seasons because Persephone ate a pomegranate.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Maybe just admit that you didn’t watch the game (which is obvious), don’t have any context, and your opinion therefore should be taken with a grain of salt. Its okay, you don’t have to be right all the time.

I didn't watch the game. I don't need to.

No one is talking about any other hit. No one, including the players, have mentioned any impression that there was any other hit. That, in and of itself, makes me call bullshit.

You're more than free to prove me wrong. Provide me clips of the game that I didn't watch that show questionable hits that required "accountability". I'm more than happy to see them and acknowledge my being wrong, but my expectation is that they were as weak as the hit on Russell (the hit that Lucic and the media do mention, repeatedly) and therefore not of any relevance.

I await with baited breath.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Funny when Lucic was on the Bruins and even the kings to an extent he was the Cam Neely of are era. BIG fan favourite but now that he is an Oiler he is the running joke of the league.

Go figure

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
For every poster who ever makes the lame argument: Players can't sue the league for concussions because they agree to fights and assume the risk ..... well there you go. Mathieu on the ice didn't agree to anything.

Lucic is, and always has been, a hot head who can't take it when other players play better than him and embarrass him... which happens with ever increasing frequency as his skating erodes more each day.

Gutless punk of a player. Tough /= hitting players who are defenseless or giving them a nutshot from behind.

Hope he gets a long suspension.
Oh boy...

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Remember when Dale f***ing Weise has Lucic damn near in tears a couple years ago.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Funny when Lucic was on the Bruins and even the kings to an extent he was the Cam Neely of are era. BIG fan favourite but now that he is an Oiler he is the running joke of the league.

Go figure
i'm sure that has more to do with his production over the last ~60 games with a big contract than anything oiler related

Reactions: Mez

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Love it. Proud to see them stick up for their teammates. The team really respects Kris Russell and when someone nearly injures him there's going to be a problem with the rest of the team.

This is essentially why Lucic was signed to begin with whether you agree or not

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Watching other teams in the playoffs is a time honoured Oilers tradition, glad you enjoyed it

Ah yes.

Playoff rounds won by leafs in last 5 years: 0.

Playoff rounds won by Oilers in last 5 years: 1.

See you on the golf course, along with your pal Matthew's... you know, assuming his rotator cuff can handle a good swing. Maybe he can just play off your drive?

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Ah yes.

Playoff rounds won by leafs in last 5 years: 0.

Playoff rounds won by Oilers in last 5 years: 1.

See you on the golf course, along with your pal Matthew's... you know, assuming his rotator cuff can handle a good swing. Maybe he can just play off your drive?

This seems pretty petty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad