Value of: Lucic to Anaheim

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Multiple organizations have been trying to get a hold of Valimaki for years. His cap hit when he's in the minors is $425k, and he's wavier exempt. The Flames have Gudbranson and Zadarov playing way above expectations, so can't move him up, but you're statement that Valimaki would just be dead weight on the Ducks is BS.
I never said he would be dead weight. I'm saying he would blend in with the other guys in the same position:

Vaakanainen
Benoit
Mahura
Larsson
Guhle

Also, it is not like he would be involved for free.
I would rather take Lucic alone for a 2nd then pay to get Lucic and Valimaki .

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
I never said he would be dead weight. I'm saying he would blend in with the other guys in the same position:

Vaakanainen
Benoit
Mahura
Larsson
Guhle

I don't see the Flames having to give up a 2nd for Lucic. On a non cap limit team Lucic actually has positive value. If Valimaki doesn't interest the Ducks I'm sure the Flames will find a home for him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Vaakanainen
Benoit
Mahura
Larsson
Guhle

And of those guys will be guaranteed to be top 4 d-men in the NHL? Best of luck with your strategy. I doubt management would see it the same way.

This is all a moot point anyways. The Flames organization is absolutely not adding a prospect like Valimaki as part of a Lucic dump deal.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
And of those guys will be guaranteed to be top 4 d-men in the NHL? Best of luck with your strategy. I doubt management would see it the same way.

This is all a moot point anyways. The Flames organization is absolutely not adding a prospect like Valimaki as part of a Lucic dump deal.
They may need that extra cap space though. If they sign Kylington and assuming Mackey is ahead on the depth chart. Where does that leave Jusso?

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see him waiving tbh. And I don't see him retiring. He loves playing hockey, and he absolutely loves it here in Calgary. And while some fans might not like him much, if you ever gone to the Dome and seen the crowd going nuts for him, he's a fan favorite of the people actually going to games

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I could see him waiving to Arizona for the purposes of a buyout, toss in a 3rd rounder or a B prospect. Costs the Coyotes very little cash and the cap hit goes away almost entirely the first year. Helps them get to the floor while saving 5M. Looch is free then to sign anywhere but Arizona or Calgary for more money than he would have gotten or retire if he prefers.
He would be eligible to sign back in calgary if that happened.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Is Valimaki guaranteed to be a top 4 guy? I said he falls right into that group with them, which is unproven to be anything more then a bottom pairing guy.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
I don't see him waiving tbh. And I don't see him retiring. He loves playing hockey, and he absolutely loves it here in Calgary. And while some fans might not like him much, if you ever gone to the Dome and seen the crowd going nuts for him, he's a fan favorite of the people actually going to games
Say goodbye to one of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane or Kylington then.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
This is such a bad take, Lucic is 100% an NHLer on nearly every team in the league. He is certainly overpaid but like Deslauriers and Reeves he has a role and he plays it very well
One of those guys makes $1.0 and the other $1.75 - big difference from $5.25 (yes I know the actual dollars is less, but to any team with cap constraints thats a big difference)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Is Valimaki guaranteed to be a top 4 guy? I said he falls right into that group with them, which is unproven to be anything more then a bottom pairing guy.

Exactly. That's why you want multiple defensive prospects in the system.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They may need that extra cap space though. If they sign Kylington and assuming Mackey is ahead on the depth chart. Where does that leave Jusso?

The Flames likely won't have the luxury of signing guys like Gudbranson, Zadarov, and Stone next year, so having a guys like Valimaki, who is wavier exempt, and can potentially play in the 5-7 role himself is a big win. The Flames aren't going to move Valimaki just for cap space. Especially as his cap hit, while he's in the minors, is only $440k.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Vaakanainen
Benoit
Mahura
Larsson
Guhle
Thrun
LaCombe
Zellweger
Helleson

Pretty sure the Ducks have LHD prospect depth covered.
You're now listing a bunch of 2nd-4th round picks. Every organization has that many LHD d-men of some kind in their system. About 2/3rds of all d-men shoot left, so every organization has lots of LHD, and that's not an especially impressive list.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
You're now listing a bunch of 2nd-4th round picks. Every organization has that many LHD d-men of some kind in their system. About 2/3rds of all d-men shoot left, so every organization has lots of LHD, and that's not an especially impressive list.
What does the round they were drafted matter?

And I wasn't saying it some amazing feet, just that your argument that the Ducks should value Valimaki because the more prospects the merrier is kind of covered already.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
The Flames likely won't have the luxury of signing guys like Gudbranson, Zadarov, and Stone next year, so having a guys like Valimaki, who is wavier exempt, and can potentially play in the 5-7 role himself is a big win. The Flames aren't going to move Valimaki just for cap space. Especially as his cap hit, while he's in the minors, is only $440k.
I don't know... I think the Flames will be scraping for every penny next summer

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Fans focus too much on cap hit . There a few teams that like a high cap hit with lower real money being paid out of course cap teams wouldn't touch it .
lol sure I guess we can just offload Keith in the summer no problem and barely have to pay a cost for that to happen.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
lol sure I guess we can just offload Keith in the summer no problem and barely have to pay a cost for that to happen.

Keith has more actual cash owing, but it's honestly a possibility. With one year of Keith's contract left and only $1.5 million actual cash owing, if a non-cap team thinks that Keith can play in their 3-5 role, then he starts to look pretty good.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Keith would be easily movable if not for his full NMC. Him only wanting to play in Western Canada makes it basically impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad