Value of: Lucic to Anaheim

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He loved his time in Socal I could see him wanting to come back.

Not like many playoff teams can afford his cap hit
If he doesn't want to move, he puts the 10 teams with the most cap space on his no trade list. I'm not saying he doesn't want to move, he did waive it for the expansion draft after all, but Calgary looks like a contender, so why wouldn't he want to be a part of that?

All he would really need to do to stay in Calgary is to submit his 10 team list as Buffalo, Anaheim, Detroit, Columbus, Ottawa, Nashville, Seattle, New Jersey, Arizona and Montreal. That leaves only one team in the bottom 10 in salary (Rangers) on his list, and they're close to contending too so they likely wouldn't be open to taking him, and I guess Pittburgh could if they let Malkin, Letang, etc walk away, but why would they ever do that and replace that cap with Lucic, ha ha.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Again ...
If they are trading him for the purpose of a buyout why would Lucic not waive?
He gets his 3M bonus, gets 2/3 of his base salary (without escrow) and then becomes a UFA.
Calgary is not paying 1st round picks and top prospects to trade a contract that costs less than 700K to buyout and saves a cap floor team millions in real dollars.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Thank the lord the Senators won’t be having any difficulties reaching the cap floor this upcoming season, otherwise I’d actually be scared of sending an asset to Calgary to take on Lucic.

I’m sure teams are just lining up to bail Calgary out of their cap problems with a fourth or fifth to gain from it.

I wager you’re going to have troubles finding a suitor for him that doesn’t have cap implications, within his trade restrictions and all for the hefty price of a 4th/5th.

I see a lot of points saying that no team is going to spite another team at the cost of making their team better. I think the little bit that they may make their team better (4th or 5th round pick like a poster suggested) is heavily outweighed by letting another team completely off the hook. You can make more valuable trades from their predicament and the fall out of it as opposed to bailing them out of it. Not that this pertains to Calgary, but just in general.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Again ...
If they are trading him for the purpose of a buyout why would Lucic not waive?
He gets his 3M bonus, gets 2/3 of his base salary (without escrow) and then becomes a UFA.
Calgary is not paying 1st round picks and top prospects to trade a contract that costs less than 700K to buyout and saves a cap floor team millions in real dollars.
Calgary would need to give up at least a 2nd to rid that contract. No team will do the Flames a favor for minimal return.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Ducks pay to take 2 cap dumps? lol

Valimaki remains a very solid defensive prospect. He's 23 and demonstrated top end offensive ability. He's been set back by the Flames depth and injuries, but still holds lots of value. I don't see the Flames providing him as a throw in on a Lucic deal, so you don't have to worry about his cap hit.

Reactions: YP44

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This thread needs to be marked, I think people are gonna be shocked that Lucic actually has some value in a trade. I see the Flames trading him for a 6th round pick somewhere.

If Lucic plays in the playoffs, even once a series, the way he did against Nashville, his value will be solid. Nashville attempted to turn up the intensity, and Lucic single handedly shut them down, and the Flames ended up winning the game.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
In what world is Valimaki a cap dump? The guy still has top 4 upside in my opinion. Could be a steal of a deal if he turns it around with the ducks.
I get what you are saying, but he currently is buried in the AHL and effecting the flames cap.
He would be in the logjam of bottom pairing LHD that the Ducks already have. No way the Ducks pay for him and Lucic.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I get what you are saying, but he currently is buried in the AHL and effecting the flames cap.
He would be in the logjam of bottom pairing LHD that the Ducks already have. No way the Ducks pay for him and Lucic.

Multiple organizations have been trying to get a hold of Valimaki for years. His cap hit when he's in the minors is $425k, and he's wavier exempt. The Flames have Gudbranson and Zadarov playing way above expectations, so can't move him up, but you're statement that Valimaki would just be dead weight on the Ducks is BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad