Value of: Lucic to Anaheim

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
The Flames need to offload salary. Seems like the Ducks have space and could use some beef to protect their young stars. What would a deal look like? Lucic has one year left with a cap hit of $5.25m but he is only owed $875,000 in actual money. If the Ducks aren't worried about being a cap team this seems like a bargain for what he has brought this year. Assuming Lucic agrees to waive of course.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I’ve been for this idea (or kassian) since the tdl. I’m horrible at trade values so I won’t touch that, but as a ducks fan I’d be good with this. The key is waiving.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Arizona is the team.

Really, I think he retires. He already is a legend in Calgary, that would only cement his legacy as a true beauty.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Because of the low salary he won't cost much to move. Probably a 4th or 5th attached. The only real issue is what teams are on his no trade list.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
The Flames need to offload salary. Seems like the Ducks have space and could use some beef to protect their young stars. What would a deal look like? Lucic has one year left with a cap hit of $5.25m but he is only owed $875,000 in actual money. If the Ducks aren't worried about being a cap team this seems like a bargain for what he has brought this year. Assuming Lucic agrees to waive of course.
Depends what goodies you'd staple to him. Otherwise, I'd rather just re-sign Deslauries.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Because of the low salary he won't cost much to move. Probably a 4th or 5th attached. The only real issue is what teams are on his no trade list.
It's probably more than that, because I doubt they'd just bury him like he probably should be.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
So another team is just going to do the Flames a solid by clearing out 5M in cap off their books, freeing them up to allocate that cap space elsewhere and improve their team for basically nothing in return?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
So another team is just going to do the Flames a solid by clearing out 5M in cap off their books, freeing them up to allocate that cap space elsewhere and improve their team for basically nothing in return?

Lucic with his low salary relative to cap hit would be extremely helpful for the teams that hover just above the cap floor like Ottawa or Arizona. Anaheim has oodles of space and need toughness and vet leadership in their lineup. Lucic would be beneficial to all 3 of those teams at the bare minimum, so no it wouldn't just be helping the Flames.

The cap hit means nothing to teams that A. Will be nowhere near the cap and B. Will not be competing with the Flames for a playoff spot. The only number that will matter to those teams is 875k.

Last edited:

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
This is such a bad take, Lucic is 100% an NHLer on nearly every team in the league. He is certainly overpaid but like Deslauriers and Reeves he has a role and he plays it very well
He's not spent, but he'd be relegated to simply protecting young guys on a hopeless team. I guess it's his own fault though for signing that long of a deal.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I could see him waiving to Arizona for the purposes of a buyout, toss in a 3rd rounder or a B prospect. Costs the Coyotes very little cash and the cap hit goes away almost entirely the first year. Helps them get to the floor while saving 5M. Looch is free then to sign anywhere but Arizona or Calgary for more money than he would have gotten or retire if he prefers.

Reactions: turnagainoutlaw

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I could see him waiving to Arizona for the purposes of a buyout, toss in a 3rd rounder or a B prospect. Costs the Coyotes very little cash and the cap hit goes away almost entirely the first year. Helps them get to the floor while saving 5M. Looch is free then to sign anywhere but Arizona or Calgary for more money than he would have gotten or retire if he prefers.
What you said, then retire makes the most sense. He's no spring chicken, and if his role is going to be enforcer, then probably best he let a younger buck do it.

Ledge And Dairy

He's not spent, but he'd be relegated to simply protecting young guys on a hopeless team. I guess it's his own fault though for signing that long of a deal.
You say that like it's irrelevant. He has quite an effect on the game. The amount of slashing to the hands that Gaudreau takes has gone down drastically since Looch was traded to the flames. Go watch last nights game vs the Predators for example, Lucic was a complete force out there.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
You say that like it's irrelevant. He has quite an effect on the game. The amount of slashing to the hands that Gaudreau takes has gone down drastically since Looch was traded to the flames. Go watch last nights game vs the Predators for example, Lucic was a complete force out there.
I'm also thinking from his perspective. Does he really want to be a sheriff at 34 on a trash team? I guess Chara still kinda does, but I don't think he would on a bottom feeder. He'd retire instead.

Ledge And Dairy

I'm also thinking from his perspective. Does he really want to be a sheriff at 34 on a trash team? I guess Chara still kinda does, but I don't think he would on a bottom feeder. He'd retire instead.
There's a couple ways to look at it. Personally I could see him definitely waiving to Seattle since it's close to home and then be perfectly fine being flipped at the deadline to a contender

Reactions: Daz28

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Lucic with his low salary relative to cap hit would be extremely helpful for the teams that hover just above the cap floor like Ottawa or Arizona. Anaheim has oodles of space and need toughness and vet leadership in their lineup. Lucic would be beneficial to all 3 of those teams at the bare minimum, so no it wouldn't just be helping the Flames.

The cap hit means nothing to teams that A. Will be nowhere near the cap and B. Will not be competing with the Flames for a playoff spot. The only number that will matter to those teams is 875k.
Teams still need an incentive to help Calgary with their cap issues. You have leverage with Calgary wanting to shed his cap and only a handful of teams at most that would be willing to eat the cap. You can find tough guys pretty easily without helping your division rival out for nothing

Reactions: Ragdoll

Ledge And Dairy

So another team is just going to do the Flames a solid by clearing out 5M in cap off their books, freeing them up to spend the money elsewhere and improve their team for basically nothing in return?
Teams still need an incentive to help Calgary with their cap issues. You have leverage with Calgary wanting to shed his cap and only a handful of teams at most that would be willing to eat the cap. You can find tough guys pretty easily without helping your division rival out for nothing
This isn't how that works and it was proven last summer with the Tyler Johnson trade, and the summer before that with the Nate Schmidt trade. Teams don't go out of their way to collectively screw over 1 team, they look to improve themselves and then look to get bargains. I'm not arguing it will only cost a 4th/5th to move Lucic but if multiple teams want what he brings (which makes sense) then Calgary will take the best deal available (assuming he waives)

Reactions: The Duck Knight

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If he's paid a couple million, why not? He might not make much next year but if he can show that he can be a good veteran depth player then he will still get work for a few more years.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Lucic has a 10 team trade list, Pretty sure Non-Playoff Anaheim isn't one of those 10 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00