Value of: Lucic plus 2019 1st at the draft

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
See this, this is reasonable. Not the ****ing horrible idea that is OP.

I accept and would even add a guy like Bear if you wanted.

Would you do
2nd in 2019
Pujuljarvi
Lucic (2m retained)

I think Greene might be able to get Poolparty back on track

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think it can only be negated after a trade if the NMC has not kicked in yet -- such as when Montreal traded P.K. Subban to Nashville before his clause kicked in.

This is from capfriendly:
  • The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
    • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified
I've read on a few other sites that this was the case, which is what I was basing my info off of.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You called it - ****show started at Post 3 !

Hahahaha

Shitshow you call it . Edmonton isn't going to move that first . Not saying it isn't fair value . What I am saying is there are easier and less costly ways to open cap space . Look at it logically . If we move Lucic and the first it opens up 6 million and we have to dip into UFA which teams always over pay for these guys

ELC Prospect in the 5 to 10 range + Lucic >>>> Then another over paid UFA

Reactions: 780il

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Oilers probably won't spend assets to get rid of Lucic until they find out for sure that there isn't a compliance buyout with the new CBA negotiations and/or the expansion draft has settled.

This is pretty much it. I believe a compliance buyout is a very real possibility, it's beneficial for both the PA and teams. Teams get cap space that would otherwise be pretty much dead space, which they can use to sign other players. The player in question being bought out gets all or the majority of his contract and then is free to sign another deal with someone else that better reflects his contributions.

If there is no compliance buyouts I'd bet they give him the Toronto treatment. Show up every day, practice, travel with the team but you are spending the next 4 years in the press box, or your back hurts and you get to stay home with your family and collect a check.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
This is from capfriendly:
  • The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
    • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified
I've read on a few other sites that this was the case, which is what I was basing my info off of.

So, based on that, it sounds like the player could insist on the NMC follows him to the new team, or he could then refuse to waive the NMC for the initial trade in the first place. In this case, the trick would be to get Lucic to waive the current NMC and not insist that the clause follow him to the new team. I'm not sure why he would ever agree to that -- it doesn't seem to be in his best interest.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Oilers probably won't spend assets to get rid of Lucic until they find out for sure that there isn't a compliance buyout with the new CBA negotiations and/or the expansion draft has settled.
This. I believe this is how the Oilers will get out of the Lucic deal. No need to spend assets to move him when there will almost assuredly be a compliance buyout.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So, based on that, it sounds like the player could insist on the NMC follows him to the new team, or he could then refuse to waive the NMC for the initial trade in the first place. In this case, the trick would be to get Lucic to waive the current NMC and not insist that the clause follow him to the new team. I'm not sure why he would ever agree to that -- it doesn't seem to be in his best interest.

Absolutely true. Unfortunately, I don't see Lucic being moved till after the expansion draft. I could see this scenario playing out though:

• Oilers ask Lucic to waive his NMC so he can be left unprotected in the expansion draft with the condition that they can guarantee he won't be claimed
  • Considering his contract and play, he probably isn't a candidate to be claimed
  • To be safe, the Oilers give a mid to late round draft pick to Seattle to NOT pick Lucic
  • Oilers protect whoever they need to and Lucic continues to ruin our cap space and suck

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
No way I'd take Lucic even if Poolparty and Yamamoto were included because at least Eriksson's NMC is over. Lucic has to be protected from Seattle...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I would be interested in Lucic.
Not really as a player but for the Kings rebuild to keep us away from success for 2-3 years
and limits the GM's room to get new players in. We don't have any players worth protecting from Seattle anyways.

So I would take your offer Lucic + 1st 2019. If necessary something can go back to Edmonton.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Oilers fans please stay out of this for 48 hours. It's the only way this won't devolve into the usual **** show by post #3

Let the bidding ....war(?) begin with the following hypotheticals -
1) Lucic has waived his NMC (allowing him to be exposed in the expansion draft)
2) Pick lands between 5-8th
Montreal would like the pick and we have tons of cap space. But basically buying the pick. At 24 million that is a lot of cash! Plus, losing 6 million a year in capspace for next 4 years. Not like we are talking a Hughes or Cozens. Be a player a notch down and a couple of years away. Probably be a Byram type, a #2-3 defenseman.

I see it as too much. Just can't do it. Be different if we could buy Lucic out or send him down but can't even do that. If Cozens still on the board when Oilers draft I would probably do it though. I been known to gamble too much at times. lol Probably be a bad trade for Montreal but I really like Cozens.

Oilers may be forced into such a deal I'd imagine. At some point McDavid wants to play for a winner. Oilers also pissing away his best years. Lucic contract keeping them from adding a top player. A Byram or Dach will not help them until 2021 or 22.

Most likely a moot point though, highly Lucic be nuts to waive that NMC.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No way I'd take Lucic even if Poolparty and Yamamoto were included because at least Eriksson's NMC is over. Lucic has to be protected from Seattle...

Lucic's NMC and his contract not being buy out friendly is big problem. Oilers are likely stuck with him.

Reactions: LDF

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal would like the pick and we have tons of cap space. But basically buying the pick. At 24 million that is a lot of cash! Plus, losing 6 million a year in capspace for next 4 years. Not like we are talking a Hughes or Cozens. Be a player a notch down and a couple of years away. Probably be a Byram type, a #2-3 defenseman.

I see it as too much. Just can't do it. Be different if we could buy Lucic out or send him down but can't even do that. If Cozens still on the board when Oilers draft I would probably do it though. I been known to gamble too much at times. lol Probably be a bad trade for Montreal but I really like Cozens.

Oilers may be forced into such a deal I'd imagine. At some point McDavid wants to play for a winner. Oilers also pissing away his best years. Lucic contract keeping them from adding a top player. A Byram or Dach will not help them until 2021 or 22.

Most likely a moot point though, highly Lucic be nuts to waive that NMC.

I'm not desperate to work a trade to get Lucic to the Habs but I do think he waives his NMC to come to the Habs to play with Weber and Gallagher. The only thing that works is Alzner+ for Lucic+ but the Habs are not the ones who need to make a deal to get rid of Alzner. Alzner's contract is way more buy out friendly after next season.

With Alzner, Oilers would save $1.4M for next season and then buy out Alzner after the season. Cap hits with Lucic vs Alzner would be as follows...

19/20: $6M vs $4.6
20/21: (Alzner bought out): $6M vs $3.96M
21/22: $6M vs $1.96M
22/23: $6M vs $833k
23/24: $0M vs $833k

$11.8M in cap space savings over the next 5 seasons. If you want to compare another situation with buying out Lucic at the same time as Alzner, the cap savings drops to $10.3M in total but spread out over 2 more years

19/20: $6M vs $4.6
20/21: (Lucic vs Alzner buy out differences): $5.5M vs $3.96M
21/22: $4M vs $1.96M
22/23: $5.5M vs $833k
23/24: $500kM vs $833k
24/25: $500kM vs $0k
25/26: $500kM vs $0k

Comes down to how much does it cost the Oilers for the Habs to help them save $12M in cap space over the next 5 seasons while the Habs also take on the NMC where they have to protect him in the next expansion draft

Last edited:

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Oilers fans please stay out of this for 48 hours. It's the only way this won't devolve into the usual **** show by post #3

Let the bidding ....war(?) begin with the following hypotheticals -
1) Lucic has waived his NMC (allowing him to be exposed in the expansion draft)
2) Pick lands between 5-8th

Now Oilers fans don't want to give up the 1st with Lucic to get rid of him for the most part...

but perhaps if there was a team that could offer VALUE back and have it make sense for them..

I think of the Ottawa Senators here.

They could give up a good prospect imo:

White, Brown... Duclair.. prob others would be on the table for sure. Oilers can take their pick other then obviously Tkachuk or their new shiny toy defenseman.

So now the Oilers can at least get a player ready to play NOW and contribute to their line up for losing their 1st round pick 5-8 and they get to get rid of Lucic.

Ottawa does this IMO because Lucic at 2M retained can play on their team during the rebuild and they are essentially swapping White* or whomever Oilers choose straight across for a top 10 first round pick.

If the Oilers are giving up their first in the deal then they need some value back here.. pref. a young player who can contribute now in the 20G and 50 points mold with upside.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
It actually says in OP - "Lucic waives NMC - allowing him to be left exposed in expansion draft".

Again, reading, you should do it sometime...

Hypothetically speaking if we attached Lucic to the first in a situation like this we should be able to get some value back. Look at a team like Ottawa.. they have lots of prospects and players we would be interested in.

I would target Colin White.
2018-2019 63 13 22 35
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rookie year, plays center. Will be a 20G + 50 points+ type guy.

So yeah we lose our first but we get a player who can play NOW and who is cheap and bye bye Lucic

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
If we add Pulj…

1st (5-8) + Pulj + Lucic

and go to Ottawa and tell them we want 2 players of our choice other then the obvious list of Tkachuk, Chabot and whats his face the new defenseman they just picked up there.. brannstrom
So we could pick up like a top tier asset off them like say

Colin White

and then go after a winger with upside:

Drake Batherson or maybe someone like Duclair who can play now.

Oilers get two players who can contribute right now (White essentially replaces our first rounder as he is developing well, its prob a down grade on whatever we would have picked up in 5-8 but hes going to be a top 6 player)

Draisaitl - Mcdavid - White (can also play C)
Duclair / Bath - RNH - ???

Anyways.. its a start.. plus we clear some cap space in this deal.

Ottawa makes out like bandits here IMO.. their fans may not agree :laugh:

I don't think the phone gets hung up..

Pulj + whomever they get at 5-8 in the first round are two very marketable assets for Ottawa. Brown can start next year and fill White's spot in the line up. Maybe they draft a C

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If we add Pulj…

1st (5-8) + Pulj + Lucic

and go to Ottawa and tell them we want 2 players of our choice other then the obvious list of Tkachuk, Chabot and whats his face the new defenseman they just picked up there.. brannstrom
So we could pick up like a top tier asset off them like say

Colin White

and then go after a winger with upside:

Drake Batherson or maybe someone like Duclair who can play now.

Oilers get two players who can contribute right now (White essentially replaces our first rounder as he is developing well, its prob a down grade on whatever we would have picked up in 5-8 but hes going to be a top 6 player)

Draisaitl - Mcdavid - White (can also play C)
Duclair / Bath - RNH - ???

Anyways.. its a start.. plus we clear some cap space in this deal.

Ottawa makes out like bandits here IMO.. their fans may not agree :laugh:

I don't think the phone gets hung up..
It wouldn't mind it if it was 1st + Lucic + Pulju for White + Batherson...

X - Mcdavid - Batherson/White
Nuge - Drai - White/Batherson

...Looks pretty good

Reactions: Chabot84

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Vancouver will take him for

2 Million retained per year
2019 2nd
2019 NYI's 3rd
2020 2nd

Very reasonable proposal, I’d even add the option to flip 1sts if we end up picking earlier than the Nucks (but not top 3).

I think Looch would waive for VAN, which should also negate the protection slot for the Seattle expansion draft. They could even work out something with Seattle at that point where Seattle takes him for a 2nd. Could mean VAN nets a 2nd + 3rd for taking on one year of Looch (or would it be 2??? when does Seattle come in???).

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
How about the following from the

Rangers get:

Lucic with .5 Million retained per year and must waive NMC after trade so must not be protected in expansion draft
Manning
2019 2nd
2019 NYI's 3rd
2020 2nd
Rights to swap their 1sr round pick with Edm if Edm has better pick

EDM gets:
Marc Staal (must waive NMC)

Rangers should have the cap space to bury Manning in the minors for the chance to move up a few spots in the draft. EDM frees up Mannings contract and loses years off of the contract with the swap of Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad