Value of: Lucic plus 2019 1st at the draft

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Oilers fans please stay out of this for 48 hours. It's the only way this won't devolve into the usual **** show by post #3

Let the bidding ....war(?) begin with the following hypotheticals -
1) Lucic has waived his NMC (allowing him to be exposed in the expansion draft)
2) Pick lands between 5-8th

The oilers would be better off keeping the pick and trying to use Pulujarvi as the sweetener to get someone to take Lucic or just retain 50%.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You actually can if you want an outside opinion.
OP was valid but us Oilers fans couldnt digest it.

Many polls are created where 'homer' votes are captured in a different section to get a better neutral opinion.

I actually want to know what non Oilers fans would be willing to give up for Lucic+1st.

I recall quite clearly someone else doing the same thing about a year ago, excluding Oiler fans from commenting and asking everyone else what the value of the Oiler players were. That thread was shut down almost immediately.

Anyway posters gonna post.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Couldn't the Oilers try and get Lucic to waive his NMC to be traded to Seattle? I feel like the 1st round pick and Lucic during the expansion draft would make a lot more sense for Edmonton. A) the pick should be lower valued (in the teens) and B) Seattle would be enticed to take on the last few years of Lucic and a 1st round pick to get things started.

Reactions: Barnaby and thadd

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
OP makes no sense whatsoever for us.

On the contrary, I think the OP is one of the very few Oilers fans that does have a firm understanding of Lucic’s value.

Should have just listened to him instead of derailing another Lucic thread with your delusions of grandeur.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Couldn't the Oilers try and get Lucic to waive his NMC to be traded to Seattle? I feel like the 1st round pick and Lucic during the expansion draft would make a lot more sense for Edmonton. A) the pick should be lower valued (in the teens) and B) Seattle would be enticed to take on the last few years of Lucic and a 1st round pick to get things started.

Lucic won't accept to waive his NMC because Seattle would be able, at that point, to have him ride the bus in the AHL.

Pretty sure aguy w/ Lucic's ego won't like riding the bus in the AHL

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
The premise of the trade is faulty because it states Lucic would wave his NTC which would open himself up to be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft - so what? That doesn't mean anything because the odds are very low that Seattle would want him.

The idea is that having Lucic available to expose to the expansion draft means a team can protect more valuable assets from Seattle.

Carolina would never accept a deal involving Lucic because his NMC would require us to protect him. That means we'd potentially lose a far more valuable younger piece.

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I bet your wrong on that

Lucic is complete garbage.

You seriously believe a team is dumb enough to spend $19M in salary, lose $24M Cap Space and lose a roster spot for the expansion draft for a pick? This assumes he waives his NMC.

There is only a handful of rich teams with enough Cap Space. Keep increasing the package if you want any interest.

Reactions: LDF

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

I've got a similar opinion.
Good teams that stay good build through the draft. Edmonton's got less than a handful of players you could depend on if they were on a cup run so there's no hurry to get rid of him this off-season. If Edmonton's got a top 10 pick, that's sad considering they've got McDavid and Drai, but hey, it's exactly what they need right now.

If we wait till Seattle comes in and offer picks then the chances are the picks we'll be giving up won't be valued as high and Edmonton will most likely also be looking forward to watching Russell and Sekera's contracts expire. With Lucic that's almost 16 million in cap space and the salary cap is going to continue to go up.

Much better to wait.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Lucic is complete garbage.

You seriously believe a team is dumb enough to spend $19M in salary, lose $24M Cap Space and lose a roster spot for the expansion draft for a pick? This assumes he waives his NMC.

There is only a handful of rich teams with enough Cap Space. Keep increasing the package if you want any interest.

prepare to be surprised

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Lucic still has too much term tbh. As high as that pick is, it likely would cost more. With each year that drops off the contract will become MUCH easier to move but as of right now its a burden for just too long, Even for rebuilding teams.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm an Oiler fan who is 100% comfortable moving a 1st to get rid of the Lucic contract, not well versed enough in this draft on where in the first round I'd make the cut-off and say I don't want to move Lucic that badly, but based on average draft quality I'd say I'd be fine with a pick in the 8-10th overall range to move Lucic with no retention.

Reactions: Homesick

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Just out of interest

What would the Oilers do with 6 Mil more cap space?
It's not that they are in cap hell or something

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm an Oiler fan who is 100% comfortable moving a 1st to get rid of the Lucic contract, not well versed enough in this draft on where in the first round I'd make the cut-off and say I don't want to move Lucic that badly, but based on average draft quality I'd say I'd be fine with a pick in the 8-10th overall range to move Lucic with no retention.
you bring up a great point with this bold.

lets break it down. a 1st rounder this yr, depending on the quality of the prospect, that player will take what, that is if he makes the team without going to the minors. he will take 2-3 yrs to be a viable player at the nhl. remember i am saying a viable player and not a superstar.

now you have players, key players on salary contract. so what can you afford to loose due to them leaving your team when the contract is up....... now address the rest of your assets, players/prospects in the system, is there any real talent there ?? how bout the goalie position ???

so this is what fans needs to look at.... so what is there 4-5 yrs before anything is resembling a playoff team ??

now, how bout that owner not seeing a reason financial rtn on his investment and i am not even talking about fans, season ticket holders...... so what is the best way to fix this team, a short term, this yr pkg or wait it out ??

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Did I write this up wrong, or what...

I will try another way...…….

Vancouver wants

Edmonton's 2019 2nd
NYI 2019 3rd
Edmonton's 2020 2nd
Plus Edmonton to retain 2M per year

They will take Lucic at 4 Million
and he waves his NMC

we can decide what to do with him later

PS...………..one guy offered us Bear as well (we will take him too!)

Why would the Canucks tie up $4M for the next four years for a high second? The third is useless and that 2020 second could be anywhere. Even if Edmonton finished dead last the following season, it's still not exactly enticing for the albatross that is Lucic.

Reactions: gunnergunther

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just for a dose of reality, here are a list of #8oa draft picks since 2000;

Alexeev
P.Leclaire
P M Bouchard
Coburn
A Picard
Setoguchi
Mueller
Hamill
Bodker
Glennie
Burmistrov
S. Couterier
D. Pouliot
Risto
Werenski
A Nylander
Mittelstadt

A name or two aside, doesn't exactly seem worth it, does it?

Last edited:

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Pretty stupid premise to start a thread on. “Hey, I’m going to post an idea that I know Oilers fans won’t like and have never liked but don’t they dare come in and voice their opinion on my shit idea.”

Absolutely brilliant...

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The premise of the trade is faulty because it states Lucic would wave his NTC which would open himself up to be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft - so what? That doesn't mean anything because the odds are very low that Seattle would want him. The team that would do that trade will have Lucic's $6M cap hit for 4 more years.

Edmonton may get some nibbles on that trade proposal if they retain 50% and their 1st round pick. $3M for 4 years for a #5-8 pick might be worth it.

Means you wouldn't be wasting a protection slot on him. Doesn't matter if he's not claimed

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Lucic is owed less dollars verse his cap hit. I could actually see them taking him with an asset
i believe that the question was/is would Ott trade, let me say this in another way, TRADE for lucic ??

edit ~~~ yeah Ott has room to trade for him without Ryan moving out.... all it cost is assets, which was the whole majority of these responses.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just for a does of reality, here are a list of #8oa draft picks since 2000;

Alexeev
P.Leclaire
P M Bouchard
Coburn
A Picard
Setoguchi
Mueller
Hamill
Bodker
Glennie
Burmistrov
S. Couterier
D. Pouliot
Risto
Werenski
A Nylander
Mittelstadt

A name or two aside, doesn't exactly seem worth it, does it?

At the same time, here's a list of #9 since 2000.
2019 Boldy, Newhook, Krebs, Turcotte, Broberg (take your pick)
2018 Vitali Kravtsov
2017 Michael Rasmussen
2016 Mikhail Sergachev
2015 Timo Meier
2014 Nikolaj Ehlers
2013 Bo Horvat
2012 Jacob Trouba
2011 Dougie Hamilton
2010 Michael Granlund
2009 Jared Cowen
2008 Joshua Bailey
2007 Logan Couture
2006 James Sheppard
2005 Brian Lee
2004 Ladislav Smid
2003 Dion Phaneuf
2002 Petr Taticek
2001 Tuomo Ruutu
2000 Brent Krahn

Players are available and still on the board as of late.

Reactions: zcaptain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad