Friedman: Lucic on the move?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I still remember when Oiler homers were calling us trolls for saying they signed Lucic to an albatross contract.

Thankfully most of them realize now that some non-Oiler fans do know more about the Oilers than some of the "experts" posting in this thread.
Most of us actually knew the contract wasn't great. We just didn't think it would look bad this early on.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
There is really no reason to trade Lucic unless they have another deal in place for an impact player and they absolutely need the cap space.

There's a good chance he will bounce back but if not they Oilers will have options. With the players likely to opt out of the current CBA in Sept. '19, we're looking at another lockout and cab re-negotiation and I can almost guarantee you that teams will get a compliance buyout in the new CBA. It's also possible that Lucic becomes an LTIR candidate, he's got diagnosed Scheuermanns (sp?) and backs can be tricky.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
No. It's a common misconception. Wizniewski's was still in effect after his trade to Carolina so they bought him out so they wouldn't have to protect him. Clarkson's was still in effect in CLB after the trade from Tor, so they had to protect him. Rick Nash's was still in effect after the trade to NYR so they had to protect him. Phaneuf's was still in effect after being traded to Ottawa and had to be protected, etc. etc.

The CBA states that a team has a choice to honor or not honor a NMC IF the NMC was not already in effect (ie....a guy is traded before his NMC kicks in). CapFriendly says that a team has a choice either way, but it doesn't say that anywhere in the CBA so I'm not sure that's right and it isn't consistent with the trades I mentioned above.

Thanks for the information, that is something I always tought the other way.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He's been known for taking stretches off and frustrating fans, don't try to act like this is the 1st time you are hearing it, you've watched him in Edmonton.

For some the excuse was he's saving himself for playoffs, Lucic is built for playoffs hockey.

To bad he forgot to show up for the playoffs last year

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Lucic is tough as hell. Doesn't score as many goals as he is used to but doesn't let other teams bully the players, which I feel gave the Oilers a real advantage. Contract-wise, he's not worth it, but he is worth every penny in the lockerroom. He's a guy that Vegas should take a look at, I think he'd fit right in.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lucic is tough as hell. Doesn't score as many goals as he is used to but doesn't let other teams bully the players, which I feel gave the Oilers a real advantage. Contract-wise, he's not worth it, but he is worth every penny in the lockerroom. He's a guy that Vegas should take a look at, I think he'd fit right in.

McKenzie, Friedman and Dreger have all said there’s some interest in Lucic league wide - I honestly think he’s got more value than people think.

I can think of half a dozen teams with contract space and a reason to pick him up.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
McKenzie, Friedman and Dreger have all said there’s some interest in Lucic league wide - I honestly think he’s got more value than people think.

I can think of half a dozen teams with contract space and a reason to pick him up.

I feel the same way but cautiously optimistic. I think Lucic is fantastic and a must-have for a team.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Is Nurse a RHD?

I'd try to work a deal around Zaitsev+ for Lucic(retained) and Nurse.

Obviously Toronto would need to add a significant piece, but lucic is a significant anchor.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Is Nurse a RHD?

Obviously Toronto would need to add a significant piece, but lucic is a significant anchor.
Nurse is a LD, and they arent using nurse to dump lucic's contract

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is Nurse a RHD?

He’s a LHD, and also not for sale - particularly not in a package with Zaitsev as the best piece.

I can see Lucic retained.
I can see Lucic packaged with an asset.
I can see Lucic bringing back a mediocre return.

I SINCERELY doubt a deal with Lucic combines all three. If it does then there’s just no point moving him at all.

Reactions: spaghtti

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The point is, he wasn't a deterrent. Nor was he when Horton's career was effectively ended.

You're missing my point. It's hard to hit someone when you're pegged against a wall. Any NHL player who has the balls to do that kind of cowardly nonsense should not only be banned from the league, but be thrown in jail for life. It's unforgivable and should never be tolerated.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
You're missing my point. It's hard to hit someone when you're pegged against a wall. Any NHL player who has the balls to do that kind of cowardly nonsense should not only be banned from the league, but be thrown in jail for life. It's unforgivable and should never be tolerated.
You would think being a deterrent would extend past the exact moment that the hit takes places on the ice. Matt Cooke apparently wasn't afraid to face Lucic however many times he knew he would probably be facing him after that incident.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Just had a few hours of debate over this with a fellow Habs fan that I respect...

Patch+ for Lucic and the 10th pick+

I would do it but the other fan would not. How do you feel about it?

Not a chance...Patches alone could fetch a ~10th OA...why handicap that pick with a bad contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad