Friedman: Lucic on the move?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
22. We’re dealing with some verbal semantics when it comes to Milan Lucic in Edmonton. I’d heard rumours he’d asked for a trade, but that was denied. However, it’s clear he and the Oilers are working together to gauge interest. It doesn’t look like an easy trade to make without taking back a big contract, but the team seems confident there will be a fit.

This is speculation, but it seems like the oilers are looking for a similar version of Clarkson for Horton when dealing lucic IMO

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am not a Lucic fan since he’s been in Edmonton. He’s honestly been inconsistent and not all that effective. He did put up 25 goals 2 years ago though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has more value than expected. I think most ppl on hfboards think he has negative value, which I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with. I could see a few dinosaur gm’s biting on him though.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Ladd for Lucic could be a fit.
My thinking is that Ladd is a bit further along in his decline, so I am not sure if the oilers benefit from that one, contract lengths are the same, and only 500k in savings. If there was an add by the isles, maybe, but I am not sure what would bridge the value gap on that one.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
If the oil retained 1/3 and didn’t have to take back a garbage contract what would teams pay for a $4 million dollar winger who has consistently been good for 50 points(just not this last season)?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I am not a Lucic fan since he’s been in Edmonton. He’s honestly been inconsistent and not all that effective. He did put up 25 goals 2 years ago though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has more value than expected. I think most ppl on hfboards think he has negative value, which I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with. I could see a few dinosaur gm’s biting on him though.

Maybe back when LA was winning cups. NHL is moving towards speed and skill now, away from players like Lucic

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
My thinking is that Ladd is a bit further along in his decline, so I am not sure if the oilers benefit from that one, contract lengths are the same, and only 500k in savings. If there was an add by the isles, maybe, but I am not sure what would bridge the value gap on that one.
He is better defensively though. Ladd isn't as bad as people portray just like Lucic probably isn't as bad as people portray. If it were a small add I could do it but I'd also be fine having Ladd for a few more years.

But he was brought in due to his relationship with Weight who got relieved of his duties and hasn't found his role on the team yet so I'm expecting a move.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Lucic was bad last year for the oilers and has a bad contract but imo it will be a big mistake for the oilers to get rid of him if they are getting a likewise bad contract and softer player coming back.

I watched he oilers get bullied and their best players get their asses kicked for 10 years. Lucic is still a bit of a factor in the deterrent area.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This is speculation, but it seems like the oilers are looking for a similar version of Clarkson for Horton when dealing lucic IMO

I doesn't really seem like that at all, to be honest. For starters, Lucic still plays in the NHL.

Reactions: Dave Karp

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And five years ago most teams wouldn’t look at a player under 5’11 unless he had elite numbers. These things swing back and forth.
They don't swing back and forth. The game itself has changed and has changed fast in the last 2-3 years.

This isn't a phase where speed and skill is popular now and soon big and strong will be popular again. We aren't talking about fashion. It's an evolving game.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

He does not look like an NHL quality skater right now. He has very negative value right now.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Oilers should just keep him. He could regain his form back and they aren't gonna get anything that isn't a cap dump is return.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They don't swing back and forth. The game itself has changed and has changed fast in the last 2-3 years.

This isn't a phase where speed and skill is popular now and soon big and strong will be popular again. We aren't talking about fashion. It's an evolving game.

... that’s exactly what we’re talking about, though. The minute the league swings too far to ‘fast and skilled’ while ignoring size and physicality a team like the Jets that can do both will steamroll everyone.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
... that’s exactly what we’re talking about, though. The minute the league swings too far to ‘fast and skilled’ while ignoring size and physicality a team like the Jets that can do both will steamroll everyone.
Oh I absolutely agree. But Lucic can't do both.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd propose Looch for Bobby Ryan (10% retention). Ryan has one less year on his contract and - while equally inconsistent - provides a considerably higher level of skill than Looch. For the Sens, even with the retention they end up paying less actual money vs keeping Ryan (over the course of the 4 years of Ryan's contract). The trade would take place after July 1st (where both players are paid out their bonus, Lucic being the larger bonus.

Looch remaining contract (after bonus paid this year): 3.5, 6, 4, 5, 4 totalling 22.5 mil + 2.8 mil total retention on Ryan for 25.3 mil but have Looch for an extra year (essentially like paying Looch 100k for the last year).

Oilers end up paying 25.2 mil for Ryan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad