Rumor: Lucic has permission to talk to teams

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Lucic isn't in it for the money. He's earned $6 million/year for the last ten years, with questionable production through most of that. He knows he's already cashed in big time and likely just wants to play. I don't think $225k is going to be a deciding factor for him.
He was a bust for my Oilers but he was miscast. I blame Chia. I generally liked him on the team but always thought he was bottom 6 and a 2 million dollar player as his physical style clearly caught up to him. Glad he has cups, World's and a full career. Hope he ekes out another year on a contender tbh.

But, even in Calgary, I'd rather that spot go to one of their 2 young AHL studs (sorry, forgot their names, one was short and Suter didn't like him) or Klapka!

Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Fig

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Agreed.

If Calgary didn't have a backlog of about six forward prospects that need playing time, I'd be all for that. Calgary needs the roster spot in the bottom six at this point.

Lucic can definitely contribute though.

He can contribute off the ice, sure, but just about the only thing he can do effectively on the ice nowadays is hit people.

He's has been outscored 57-80 at five on five over the last two years
He's dead last in nearly every analytical category
He's certainly not a deterrent anymore (only 3 fights last year)
He can't contribute on special teams

The game has passed him by and he's trying desperately to hang on. All the respect to him and his career but he can do that elsewhere. There are, and have been far more deserving players of a roster spot here.

Reactions: AustonMarner

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Rick Dhaliwal on the Donnie and Dhal show is reporting that the Flames have given Lucic permission to talk to interested teams prior to July 1st.

We all know it happens anyway how else would You get signings announced 10 minutes after free agency opens?

But Lucic has permission so where do You think he goes?

I think Treliving brings hum to Toronto to add size to the 4th line we already know he's been talking to Muzzin about the Leafs he admitted to that in an interview he didn't on the Leafs nation youtube channel.

Where do you see Lucic going?

This would be a terrible move for Toronto.

He's way too slow. The Leafs do not improve, or get any more difficult to play against, but having this absolute slug on their fourth line.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Bitter sweet about it but I do think it’ll be Toronto. On 1 hand he’s useless. On the other, I doubt anyone would have any appetite in roughing up our soft core 4 with him in the lineup.

Are you serious?

You think tough, physical players in the league today fear Milan Lucic?

Get real. It's 2023.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He was a bust for my Oilers but he was miscast. I blame Chia. I generally liked him on the team but always thought he was bottom 6 and a 2 million dollar player as his physical style clearly caught up to him. Glad he has cups, World's and a full career. Hope he ekes out another year on a contender tbh.

But, even in Calgary, I'd rather that spot go to one of their 2 young AHL studs (sorry, forgot their names, one was short and Suter didn't like him) or Klapka!
Despite all the doom and gloom about Calgary's lack of future, they actually have at least half a dozen guys who are at least ready for a shot in the NHL: Ruzika, Duehr, Pelletier, Zary, Corronato, Phillips (he is the short one who was top 5 in AHL scoring), and maybe Klapka and Pettersen. I obviously don't think that all of these guys will work out, but they are all at the stage where they should be getting some kind of playing time in the NHL, with a few guys ready for secondary roles.

For example, playing Lucic in the bottom six instead of Duehr and Ruzicka makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
He could have great chemistry with Auston Matthews. He got promoted to a top-6 role with calgary at one point and made some nice plays with Kadri.

Put him on the 4th line, but then occasionally elevate him to the top line when you need an offensive boost.

Last edited:

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
For league minimum and a 13th forward role, why not sign Lucic? Not a terrible option for games when you need extra toughness.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He's okay as a bottom of the roster player, I'd take him back at <1M.

The biggest problem was how he was deployed. Sutter would throw him out there when the Flames were down a goal with 2min left, that's not a recipe for success.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Yeah, a shorter term by 1-2 seasons / something like a 5x5 and it's not as bad.

Klapka? Did you mean Ruzika? I think the other one you're thinking of is Pelletier.

He's okay as a bottom of the roster player, I'd take him back at <1M.

The biggest problem was how he was deployed. Sutter would throw him out there when the Flames were down a goal with 2min left, that's not a recipe for success.

Agreed. He still has a bunch of value as a 1.5 million dollar bottom 6th or a league minimum 13th forward. He can still contribute somewhat. Just not as a top 6 player. I'd take him back on the Flames at 1 mil AAV for the 4th line.

Agreed his deployment was annoying and his durability (which blocked the prospects) was also annoying. But sort those out and he's a great guy to have around.

Are you serious?

You think tough, physical players in the league today fear Milan Lucic?

Get real. It's 2023.

It keeps slower and fringe enforcers from dicking around if teams have them on their team. But I agree with you if you have a faster dude playing physical on your forwards, Lucic ain't a deterrent. You probably won't see guys like Nurse, Myers or Jones crosscheck him a ton of times in front of the net though and in most scenarios, if Lucic pulls off an offsetting penalty, your team wins that exchange. Lucic is still useful for stuff like that.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Yeah, a shorter term by 1-2 seasons / something like a 5x5 and it's not as bad.

Klapka? Did you mean Ruzika? I think the other one you're thinking of is Pelletier.

Agreed. He still has a bunch of value as a 1.5 million dollar bottom 6th or a league minimum 13th forward. He can still contribute somewhat. Just not as a top 6 player. I'd take him back on the Flames at 1 mil AAV for the 4th line.

Agreed his deployment was annoying and his durability (which blocked the prospects) was also annoying. But sort those out and he's a great guy to have around.

It keeps slower and fringe enforcers from dicking around if teams have them on their team. But I agree with you if you have a faster dude playing physical on your forwards, Lucic ain't a deterrent. You probably won't see guys like Nurse, Myers or Jones crosscheck him a ton of times in front of the net though and in most scenarios, if Lucic pulls off an offsetting penalty, your team wins that exchange. Lucic is still useful for stuff like that.

...So he's useful in the scenario where he doesn't get crosschecked much and when involved in offsetting minor penalties, where inevitably the opposing team will lose better player... 😆

Sounds about right ✅

Please retire already Lucic 😪
It's getting embarrassing

Leafs fans who agreed Lucic would be a good option or that Brodie should be bought out for examples actually exemplify just how "media influenced" their "opinions" truly are... perhaps they're not critical enough thinkers or viewer's of nhl hockey but media tends to create a "hive mind" of sorts either accidentally or otherwise...

Sorry but it's true 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
...So he's useful in the scenario where he doesn't get crosschecked much and when involved in offsetting minor penalties, where inevitably the opposing team will lose better player... 😆

Sounds about right ✅

Please retire already 😪
It's getting embarrassing

Leafs fans who agreed Lucic would be a good option or that Brodie should be bought out for examples actually exemplify just how "media influenced" their "opinions" truly are... perhaps they're not critical enough thinkers or viewer's of nhl hockey but media tends to create a "hive mind" of sorts either accidentally or otherwise...

Sorry but it's true 🤷🏻‍♂️

In its own funny twist, I'd ask how much more than a Flames fan did you watch Lucic last season. Most Flames fans are saying Lucic would still likely have interest at $1.5 AAV or less. He's still good for around 20 points if he plays around 70 games. No one is saying give Lucic term. But for a one year contract that is easily buried if required, he's worth often worth considering vs giving a prospect low TOI on the 4th line.

You're entitled to your opinion and there's nothing wrong with saying no to Lucic on your team, but you resorting to saying others are not critical thinkers or viewers of NHL hockey... ironically, your use of emoticons reads like non-critical thinking MLM comment.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
In its own funny twist, I'd ask how much more than a Flames fan did you watch Lucic last season. Most Flames fans are saying Lucic would still likely have interest at $1.5 AAV or less. He's still good for around 20 points if he plays around 70 games. No one is saying give Lucic term. But for a one year contract that is easily buried if required, he's worth often worth considering vs giving a prospect low TOI on the 4th line.

You're entitled to your opinion and there's nothing wrong with saying no to Lucic on your team, but you resorting to saying others are not critical thinkers or viewers of NHL hockey... ironically, your use of emoticons reads like non-critical thinking MLM comment.

Think about it... there's no articles of teams giving permission to other soon to be UFAs to talk to teams ahead of July 1 or other soon to be UFAs going on radio shows seemingly trying to drum up interest in a teams fan base... it absolutely reeks of desperation...
The point is, most people who are now suggesting Lucic as good option for their team, wouldn't be unless it was presented to them by the media or "expert" otherwise... same with Brodie, some pundit looking for hits makes baseless borderline idiotic claim and so many people just go along with because again, it was presented to them by the media or "expert" first

You can disagree with me that's fine

You can believe what you wish... or can you??

PS emojis equal satire
PSS I have a masters in media literacy fwiw

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Think about it... there's no articles of teams giving permission to other soon to be UFAs to talk to teams ahead of July 1 or other soon to be UFAs going on radio shows seemingly trying to drum up interest in a teams fan base... it absolutely reeks of desperation...
The point is, most people who are now suggesting Lucic as good option for their team, wouldn't be unless it was presented to them by the media or "expert" otherwise... same with Brodie, some pundit looking for hits makes baseless borderline idiotic claim and so many people just go along with because again, it was presented to them by the media or " expert" first

You can disagree with me but that's fine
You can believe what you wish... or can you??

PS emojis equal satire and I have a masters in media literacy fwiw

OP's post is from Rick Dhaliwal who is a media guy for Vancouver. For a wider bit of that piece of media, Dhaliwal was basically saying that Canucks had internally discussed Lucic but little beyond that.

OP's as a HF poster, took the small tidbit and wondered if the Leafs were a fit and used Treliving as a portion of the supporting reason for the concept. It IMO was a personal opinion and discussion by the OP.

Unless you think OP is a media person for TML, then relating to your concept of media people drumming up the idea + lack of critical thinking and NHL viewing... it doesn't match. If you're a masters in media literacy... then the literacy irony and the unlikelihood that OP is the media you're saying that's influencing fans... too funny. Add in the your hyperbole about Lucic's NHL capabilities, you know if you point a finger, two point forward and three point back at you, right?

The emoticons equaling satire, certainly. I saw bits and piece of the sarcasm in your post. Doesn't change the fact there's irony in using satire to critique TML fans and media about critical thinking and NHL viewership by using that form of prose for your opinion.

Your posts are seemingly conflating a few things together that I don't believe anyone else has been doing. Assuming media literacy has a significant component of communications, then someone with a masters I would expect wouldn't communicate in a way that is so seemingly misconstrued.

I am not saying your comments about Lucic not being a good fit is an opinion you can't have. I am saying there is just too much coincidental irony when you complain about the media, but do essentially the same think you're complaining about. If some of the media names are pulling Lucic's name out as a UFA consideration, I'm quite certain it wasn't a novel idea. It's likely an idea being revisited from a past conversation from weeks or months ago.

I'll put more weight some of the Flames and Boston fans commentary where they've kept tabs on Lucic during the 2022-2023 NHL season. A few of those fans concluded he's still a great option for them at a low AAV in the coming seasons.

No to Lucic on the Leafs opinion. Fair.
Lucic is embarrassing, retire already, everyone doesn't watch NHL or have critical thinking if they think otherwise opinion. Hilariously ironic. Lots of Boston fans would be elated to have him back at league minimum or $1 mil x 1 year, and not just sitting in the press box either.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
The leafs could really use a leader in the locker room who will stick up for teammates and crash and bang. If I were them, I’d try to get him for a 4th line role.
problem is he only sticks up for players when he feels like sticking up for players, which isn't that often anymore.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
OP's post is from Rick Dhaliwal who is a media guy for Vancouver. For a wider bit of that piece of media, Dhaliwal was basically saying that Canucks had internally discussed Lucic but little beyond that.

OP's as a HF poster, took the small tidbit and wondered if the Leafs were a fit and used Treliving as a portion of the supporting reason for the concept. It IMO was a personal opinion and discussion by the OP.

Unless you think OP is a media person for TML, then relating to your concept of media people drumming up the idea + lack of critical thinking and NHL viewing... it doesn't match. If you're a masters in media literacy... then the literacy irony and the unlikelihood that OP is the media you're saying that's influencing fans... too funny. Add in the your hyperbole about Lucic's NHL capabilities, you know if you point a finger, two point forward and three point back at you, right?

The emoticons equaling satire, certainly. I saw bits and piece of the sarcasm in your post. Doesn't change the fact there's irony in using satire to critique TML fans and media about critical thinking and NHL viewership by using that form of prose for your opinion.

Your posts are seemingly conflating a few things together that I don't believe anyone else has been doing. Assuming media literacy has a significant component of communications, then someone with a masters I would expect wouldn't communicate in a way that is so seemingly misconstrued.

I am not saying your comments about Lucic not being a good fit is an opinion you can't have. I am saying there is just too much coincidental irony when you complain about the media, but do essentially the same think you're complaining about. If some of the media names are pulling Lucic's name out as a UFA consideration, I'm quite certain it wasn't a novel idea. It's likely an idea being revisited from a past conversation from weeks or months ago.

I'll put more weight some of the Flames and Boston fans commentary where they've kept tabs on Lucic during the 2022-2023 NHL season. A few of those fans concluded he's still a great option for them at a low AAV in the coming seasons.

No to Lucic on the Leafs opinion. Fair.
Lucic is embarrassing, retire already, everyone doesn't watch NHL or have critical thinking if they think otherwise opinion. Hilariously ironic. Lots of Boston fans would be elated to have him back at league minimum or $1 mil x 1 year, and not just sitting in the press box either.

Let's see if any GMs would be as elated as Bruins fans to have Lucic at 1 x 1 or any price for that matter... it seems to be counterintuitive to the reality of the situation... why doesn't Lucic's agent just talk to teams July 1st if there's so much interest from Vancouver and around the league in having Lucic continuing in the NHL?

I guess we shall find out soon enough either way

Hope the Flames win the bidding war to sign him so you'll be happy : )

Reactions: Fig

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
He will find a few teams willing to pay him under 1M to play some 4th line minutes and blocking the goalies view on the PP for a few shifts

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00