Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Chia better do the right thing and keep Lucic unless it's actually a solid offer. We can't afford to lose anymore trades with his prior moves. Lucic still has some game left in the tank, and i think he can turn it around next year for Edmonton.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I think there is a lot of validity to not wanting to play in Canada, and understandably so. It might not be the most important thing for players, but hockey players don't tend to be the types that want the spotlight. They would much rather play, cash their cheques and live their lives without being hastled. Although it would be awesome to play for my hometown team I grew up cheering for, I'd have to admit that if I think more logically about it, playing in Anaheim or Tampa Bay where I can not get recognized or be hastled and just focus on my job can be a big positive. Some players in Canadian markets probably like the rock-star status they get....definitely for the single guys, but its not for everyone.

Now, if my wife was the type that is constantly on social media and gets bothered by criticism on there, you're gonna be unhappy wherever you play. That social media annoyance doesn't end at the 49th parallel.

Reactions: YP44

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Phaneuf. Leafs took on say a few bad contracts (but michalek, cowen, and greening only had an extra year after the current seasons that he was dealt in)

The counterargument is that Phaneuf played a premium position and was still logging close to top-pair minutes at the time of the trade.

That's a good one, though.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The counterargument is that Phaneuf played a premium position and was still logging close to top-pair minutes at the time of the trade.

That's a good one, though.

To the naked eye, that's true. The leafs upped his value by giving him cushy zone starts and not the hardest competition.

Subtracting Phaneuf no guarantee of successful Maple Leafs' rebuild - Sportsnet.ca
Kind of the way they talked up Phaneuf’s value in recent weeks, a classic case of the old “pump and dump.”

You are right in that it's 1000 times easier to hide a forward than it is to hide a defenseman. I only see lucic being traded for either an equally bad contract 1 for 1, or stuff like that

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Too many people counting Lucic out. The kid is a warrior and a proud man - he'll have a solid, bounce back season with around 20ish goals/45-50 points. It was just a bad year overall for a lot of Edmonton's players. While Lucic's poor play was a part of their downfall, I think he's still got something left in the tank.

I was going to say something similar. Lucic has had dips in his play before when he was battling an injury and except for that he has been a pretty steady 50 or more point player. I wouldn't write him off for a bad half a season. Maybe he will forever be that unproductive but I doubt it. I think he will have a couple more years where he is a player that is still valuable to his team.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Serious question maybe i'm blind to it but i feel like as crazy as a city Edmonton is about hockey i feel like their fans and media are somewhat respectful to struggling players and don't attempt to run them out of town like in other markets. Sure they receive their share of scrutiny but i don't feel like there was any over the top booing of Lucic or hate towards him last season. I mean i think Oilers fans are still happy to have him and willing to welcome him back despite his poor play last season and have been very supportive.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Chia better do the right thing and keep Lucic unless it's actually a solid offer. We can't afford to lose anymore trades with his prior moves. Lucic still has some game left in the tank, and i think he can turn it around next year for Edmonton.

Lucic could going to Leafs facts are really !!

Reactions: Highmarker

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I find it doubtful that Carolina would take on a $4.5 mil x 5 year contract for a 30 year old clean, let alone giving up a "high end defenseman" to do it.

Darling and/or Rask would have to go back the other way to be viable. To give credit to Oiler fans, for the most part, they've been reasonable with their expectations of a Carolina trade.

I could see Darling being involved.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he wants to go out East why would Carolina not be a good place? Sounds like Carolina wants to get tougher, they may deal Skinner so a top 6 LW spot will be open, they have boatloads of cap space and have high end defensemen to offer.

If it is a place Lucic wants to go it checks a lot of boxes IMO

Carolina should stay far away from that contract, budget team really can't afford anchors.

Anyways Aho/TT/Svec/Lindholm/Williams/Zykov (Skinner) on the wings already.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I don't understand the Kings fans saying that they'll take him back. Yes, he can score but his foot speed and defensive awareness is no good, it was embarrassing seeing him fumble on the blue line and makings turnovers after another. The roster is trying to get younger and faster, not the opposite. I'm thrilled Lombardi wasn't able to match his contract as much he wanted to. It was a blessing.
You'd get them to retain or pay enough assets for us to take him, hedge be motivated to spend time here like he has. On his birthday he was on Catalina with all Kings/former Kings and their wives. He'd be motivated to be here and make it work. If it's an injury you LTIR him go from there.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Give Chiarelli 2 more years his reputation will end up worse than Milburys.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Serious question maybe i'm blind to it but i feel like as crazy as a city Edmonton is about hockey i feel like their fans and media are somewhat respectful to struggling players and don't attempt to run them out of town like in other markets. Sure they receive their share of scrutiny but i don't feel like there was any over the top booing of Lucic or hate towards him last season. I mean i think Oilers fans are still happy to have him and willing to welcome him back despite his poor play last season and have been very supportive.

Yeah, luckily so many Oiler fans are obsessed with the Leafs they don't have time to dump on their own guys.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Would the Oilers be interested in Lucic for Eriksson? I know it’s still Canada and that may not sit well with Milan, but here’s the thing: he may not want to be in Canada, but teams aren’t exactly lining up to take him.

what's in it for the canucks? lucic has one more year on his contract than eriksson.

i can see how it would be 50/50 for lucic and wife, though. they are both from here right? still, not only are the canucks still in canada, but the market already actively dislikes him before he's even had a chance to play badly for them.

the oilers would pounce though, i think.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Almost as much as Lucics, it's one of the worst ones in the NHL. But I guess I should had kept my mouth shut, I should had known the reaction :laugh:
Lol sure he sucks but you aren’t getting the Oilers to retain AND give you a valuable asset. Just a stupid proposal on your part.

Underdogoil

Jan 17, 2018
Oilers aren't retaining and if there was zero interest as many have said, why are there Lucic threads everyday? If a decent proposal comes that helps the team be it by creating more cap space or adding another asset. A trade won't happen and he will be in Oiler silks on opening day.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Give Chiarelli 2 more years his reputation will end up worse than Milburys.

Chiarelli can be fired right now and his reputation will end up worse. In 5 years time itll be debated which trade was worse, the Hall or the Reinhart trade. One traded a sure fire stud for a middle pairing D, one traded a high pick in a good draft (that turned into a stud player) and a 2nd for a surefire bust. Add in the Lucic contract and Eberle trade. You can put those 4 up against Milbury pretty easily

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Chiarelli can be fired right now and his reputation will end up worse. In 5 years time itll be debated which trade was worse, the Hall or the Reinhart trade. One traded a sure fire stud for a middle pairing D, one traded a high pick in a good draft (that turned into a stud player) and a 2nd for a surefire bust. Add in the Lucic contract and Eberle trade. You can put those 4 up against Milbury pretty easily

i actually think milbury did some good things with new york and his horribleness gets overblown. it's really just a handful of really horrible trades and decisions that overshadow everything else.

but still, chara, spezza, heatley, luongo, jokinen, bertuzzi, mccabe.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Next time dont sign an overpaid contract, then whine about it when fans are pissed that you can't deliver.I'll bet you wouldn't hear a peep from Oilers fans if he was getting paid 4m over 5 instead of 6m over 7.
On top of that he tosses his wife into the mix so fans ease off on how terrible his performance has been over the last two years. Complete ***** move.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
i actually think milbury did some good things with new york and his horribleness gets overblown. it's really just a handful of really horrible trades and decisions that overshadow everything else.

but still, chara, spezza, heatley, luongo, jokinen, bertuzzi, mccabe.

Chiarelli did some nice things too with Talbot, Maroon, Kassian, Letestu etc so I think they are in the same boat. They just made horrible mistakes with great players. Career wise though, I think Chiarelli has Millbury beat

Seguin, Wheeler, Hall, Eberle, 16th (Barzal), Lucic contract, and he just got really lucky with Kessel that Toronto imploded. And hes still not done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad