Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
What an entitled little *****. Signs a big contract he knows he could never live up to, and now he wants the Oilers to arrange a trade for him. Bury his ass in the minors, let him ride the buses. Someone should tell him the world doesn't revolve around him, and to quit being a spoiled little *****. Players like him don't live in the real world because they've never had to - they need to learn that this is their job; criticism and attention and media pressure comes with the territory. Guys like him just expect everyone to cater to their every temper tantrum and whim because they've 'worked hard' and they're Mr. Big Shot NHLer to everyone in their lives. What a joke.

Did you even read what was said? He doesn't say Lucic said anything at all, he said he thinks Lucic' wife doesn't like the negative attention and because of that speculates that Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Did you even read what was said? He doesn't say Lucic said anything at all, he said he thinks Lucic' wife doesn't like the negative attention and because of that speculates that Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada.
He doesn't have to outright say anything; these types of prima donnas always have people around them 'leak' information to people like Friedman. If he didn't want to play in Canada, then he shouldn't have signed the contract. He's a canadian hockey player; he knew what he was getting into when he signed. It now looks like his plan was to sign the contract for the money and term, and then try to force a trade later. He sure didn't wait long. It's sneaky and gutless. This is all based on what Elliot said, but if he wants out, what I said applies. If he asks for a trade, what I said applies. If he's 'leaking' information to the media, what I said applies. You think Elliot is just making all this up, 'speculating'? He's basing this on something.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
He doesn't have to outright say anything; these types of prima donnas always have people around them 'leak' information to people like Friedman. If he didn't want to play in Canada, then he shouldn't have signed the contract. He's a canadian hockey player; he knew what he was getting into when he signed. It now looks like his plan was to sign the contract for the money and term, and then try to force a trade later. He sure didn't wait long. It's sneaky and gutless. This is all based on what Elliot said, but if he wants out, what I said applies. If he asks for a trade, what I said applies. If he's 'leaking' information to the media, what I said applies. You think Elliot is just making all this up, 'speculating'? He's basing this on something.

Did you read the article? From my take the Oilers put feelers out, got interest from other teams, and then approached Lucic to see if he'd waive his NTC. And from there he said, yes, but not to a Canadian team. Which is reasonable.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Did you read the article? From my take the Oilers put feelers out, got interest from other teams, and then approached Lucic to see if he'd waive his NTC. And from there he said, yes, but not to a Canadian team. Which is reasonable.
If that is indeed how it went, then that's obviously different, but the snippet in the OP makes it seem like it's just Lucic wanting out.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The most frustrating thing about the whole Lucic thing to me is he stated he wanted to play with McDavid.. and we still gave him max term, a huge cap hit, and a NMC. We had the leverage and still ended up on the wrong end of it. Chia man..

And for those smart asses out there who are saying "I knew this would happen, but didn't think this quickly"... everyone assumed Lucic would eventually "break down" physically, which he hasn't. This isn't a physical issue or a skating issue, it was purely confidence and he even stated this himself at the end of the year. Anyone who watches the Oilers would know that his problems were making dumb decisions with the puck and not handling it properly. He very clearly had no confidence last season and a change in scenery would benefit.. simple as that. Pretty annoyed with the amount of ignorance I've seen on here regarding Lucic.

Dustin Brown turned it around this year at 33, I might be one of the biggest Lucic haters on the Oil board but I still think he has 20-25G and 50-55 point seasons left, just probably not with the Oilers. I actually think Lucic is capable of producing throughout the remaining 5 years of his contract. He's very durable and in great shape. Just was never a fit with the Oilers.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Now that I've read the full article: That's not at all how it sounds. It sounds like Lucic wants out of EDM, and that's the reason EDM is exploring options/possibilities. The OP had it right.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The most frustrating thing about the whole Lucic thing to me is he stated he wanted to play with McDavid.. and we still gave him max term, a huge cap hit, and a NMC. We had the leverage and still ended up on the wrong end of it. Chia man..

And for those smart asses out there who are saying "I knew this would happen, but didn't think this quickly"... everyone assumed Lucic would eventually "break down" physically, which he hasn't. This isn't a physical issue or a skating issue, it was purely confidence and he even stated this himself at the end of the year. Anyone who watches the Oilers would know that his problems were making dumb decisions with the puck and not handling it properly. He very clearly had no confidence last season and a change in scenery would benefit.. simple as that. Pretty annoyed with the amount of ignorance I've seen on here regarding Lucic.

Dustin Brown turned it around this year at 33, I might be one of the biggest Lucic haters on the Oil board but I still think he has 20-25G and 50-55 point seasons left, just probably not with the Oilers. I actually think Lucic is capable of producing throughout the remaining 5 years of his contract. He's very durable and in great shape. Just was never a fit with the Oilers.

Boo hoo. He's a millionaire hockey player who's never worked a day in his life. Poor him :whine:

Reactions: Red and Devonator

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I wonder if it has anythint to do with Edmonton the city itself.

-40 with nothing to do or see could be tough on the family on those long Edmonton winters.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

You were going on and on about him for something that he did not do. You were saying all kinds of things and attributing them to him. None of what you said is what this situation is.

All you are doing is taking your words and putting them in Lucic' mouth. Speculating isn't making anything up, speculating is when he says that he doesn't think Lucic wants to play in Canada anymore because his wife is having a hard time dealing with the negativity. Speculating is basically taking a guess.

You were calling Lucic all kinds of names, "entitled little ****","spoiled little ****", but the best is this "Players like him don't live in the real world because they've never had to - they need to learn that this is their job; criticism and attention and media pressure comes with the territory. Guys like him just expect everyone to cater to their every temper tantrum and whim because they've 'worked hard' and they're Mr. Big Shot NHLer to everyone in their lives. What a joke."

Lucic said nothing like that and you saying that isn't going to make it true.

Lucic may not be the player he once was but he definitely did not do what you said he did.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You were going on and on about him for something that he did not do. You were saying all kinds of things and attributing them to him. None of what you said is what this situation is.

All you are doing is taking your words and putting them in Lucic' mouth. Speculating isn't making anything up, speculating is when he says that he doesn't think Lucic wants to play in Canada anymore because his wife is having a hard time dealing with the negativity. Speculating is basically taking a guess.

You were calling Lucic all kinds of names, "entitled little ****","spoiled little ****", but the best is this "Players like him don't live in the real world because they've never had to - they need to learn that this is their job; criticism and attention and media pressure comes with the territory. Guys like him just expect everyone to cater to their every temper tantrum and whim because they've 'worked hard' and they're Mr. Big Shot NHLer to everyone in their lives. What a joke."

Lucic said nothing like that and you saying that isn't going to make it true.

Lucic may not be the player he once was but he definitely did not do what you said he did.

Man, you don't know anything either - how do you know he hasn't asked for a trade? But we do know Friedman is basing this on something - he is not going to make this up out of thin air. Someone told him something. Of course he is going to play it coy as to who and exactly what; he would never name who told him what. My comments are based on wether or not Lucic is forcing/pushing this, and it sounds like he is - Friedman says his wife is unhappy in EDM. Like I said, he knew what he was getting into. Again, he doesn't have to explicitly say anything. Read between the lines.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Man, you don't know anything either - how do you know he hasn't asked for a trade? But we do know Friedman is basing this on something - he is not going to make this up out of thin air. Someone told him something. Of course he is going to play it coy as to who and exactly what; he would never name who told him what. My comments are based on wether or not Lucic is forcing/pushing this, and it sounds like he is - Friedman says his wife is unhappy in EDM. Like I said, he knew what he was getting into. Again, he doesn't have to explicitly say anything. Read between the lines.

I don't but I am not going to go around spouting a bunch of garbage saying all kinds of lies about it. You are just making up garbage. Your comments are not based on "whether or not Lucic is forcing/pushing this" it is based on something that you are just making up.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't but I am not going to go around spouting a bunch of garbage saying all kinds of lies about it. You are just making up garbage. Your comments are not based on "whether or not Lucic is forcing/pushing this" it is based on something that you are just making up.
I guess I'm just 'speculating' then, just like Elliot or anyone else. My approach is just a little more rough around the edges, and I call it how I see it. I don't have to play nice about it like Elliot does though, that's the difference. Why are you lashing out at me? If you get bothered that easily then don't read my comments.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I really want to know how almost every fan on a message can know the second something happens it is a bad bad thing but a GM of an NHL cannot?

Being a GM in the NHL really doesn't seem like a very hard job to me.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I guess I'm just 'speculating' then, just like Elliot or anyone else. My approach is just a little more rough around the edges, and I call it how I see it. I don't have to play nice about it like Elliot does though, that's the difference. Why are you lashing out at me? If you get bothered that easily then don't read my comments.

Why are you lashing out at Lucic for something that nobody even speculated was happening? Friedman in no way shape or form said Lucic is acting like he is entitled to special treatment or he can't handle it or that he has done anything wrong in any way shape or form, he said he thinks he doesn't want to play in Canada anymore because his wife is having a hard time dealing with the negativity. If you can't see what the difference is then I don't know what to tell you.

We do not know if that is true, he is speculating that it is what is going on. According to Friedman this has nothing to do with anything that Milan Lucic wants other than for his family to be happy.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Why are you lashing out at Lucic for something that nobody even speculated was happening? Friedman in no way shape or form said Lucic is acting like he is entitled to special treatment or he can't handle it or that he has done anything wrong in any way shape or form, he said he thinks he doesn't want to play in Canada anymore because his wife is having a hard time dealing with the negativity. If you can't see what the difference is then I don't know what to tell you.

We do not know if that is true, he is speculating that it is what is going on. According to Friedman this has nothing to do with anything that Milan Lucic wants other than for his family to be happy.
Lol. Is Lucic going to be reading this? :laugh:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
"Suck it up"..."Comes with the contract!"..."If it were me..."

- Likely gets traded to non-Canadian city /continues to play pro hockey as both a happier individual & family unit...making tons of money in the process.

Hmm..

Anyway, the only thing Oil fans should be upset about is this somehow lowering his perceived value...though with that contract, not like this statement even matters.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

Dustin did turn it around, but that was more due to a coaching / opportunities change (minutes/linemates etc) than a major change to his game. He had been working very hard in the offseason but was just sour on Sutter from the look of things.

Lucic could improve again, but he looked a bit slow even in LA (and used to constantly fumble the puck getting out of our zone). Hopefully he can get back into his groove so that everyone will be happy, but man that contract has some term to it if he doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad