Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Simpler solution: do it as one trade after July 1st. Edmonton just has to make sure they have a player file for arbitration so they can use the 2nd buyout window.

Thanks for the feedback. I did end up mentioning that as a possibility in a follow up post. It would definitely be the simpler way to go about it for both teams.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why would u buy out rask? Why not just play him on drai lw?

Because if EDM waits one year to buy him out, he hits 26 years of age, and all of a sudden a buyout costs the team twice as much.

While Rask is not a bad player, he's not a 4M player, and his buyout at this point is very cheap on a per season basis because he is under 26. Edmonton's goal here should be absolving themselves of as much of Lucic's cap obligation as possible, which a deal centred around taking a cheap buyout like Rask back as a cap dump would accomplish.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
to be honest at 1/2 price... and motivated to give a damn... lucic would probably be one hell of a 3rd line asset to pretty much any team in the nhl… a premium guy

if oilers are willing to eat that cap hit they should get something back for him. it wont be necessary to throw in any sweetners. but the question is would they eat the cap hit with those huge contracts they are stuck with for McDavid and draisailt

an unhappy lucic is probably quite useless though... and at 6 mill that's a lot of dead cap space for anyone

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers fans chase out another player? Seems legit.

Oilers fans respect highly skilled players, and love blue collar lunch pail guys that come to the rink and do their job. All Lucic had to do was crash and bang and be strong on the boards and go to the net. Oiler fans can’t stand big guys that play lazy heartless hockey and that’s exactly what Lucic did post Christmas.

The media walked on eggshells around him all season, refusing almost to a man to call a spade a spade. McLellan made excuses for him and stapled him to the best player on the planet. Chiarelli hid from the media to not have to answer any tough questions. So, what? His wife went on Twitter and saw people being mean to him? Boo f***ing hoo. Look at what Leaf fans were saying about Matthews and Gardiner after the playoffs. Canadians love their hockey and are passionate as hell. Some guys love that and thrive on it, others wilt. Looks like Lucic wilted.

If he wants to go hide in Florida or Arizona, be my guest. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Jujhar Khaira did his job better than he did last season and Khaira makes 10% of what Lucic does.

Reactions: 204hockey

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
That’s funny Lucic. I don’t think Canada wants you to play here anymore either.

I hope for your sake you can get traded to some irrelevant team when you can continue to suck in anonymity.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It is obvious to me that he doesn't want to play in Canada anymore. Larger question is whether he wants to play anywhere anymore.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Thought he was going to train hard this summer, gain a step and come back with a better year?

Reactions: TS Quint

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers fans respect highly skilled players, and love blue collar lunch pail guys that come to the rink and do their job. All Lucic had to do was crash and bang and be strong on the boards and go to the net. Oiler fans can’t stand big guys that play lazy heartless hockey and that’s exactly what Lucic did post Christmas.

If he wants to go hide in Florida or Arizona, be my guest. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Jujhar Khaira did his job better than he did last season and Khaira makes 10% of what Lucic does.

I am an Oilers fan. As a collective, Oilers fans are jerks. This fanbase has turned on "lunchpail" types as well, Lucic's statline and salary that caused the fan to turn on him just as much as his bad play. Every damn year our fanbase makes someone a scapegoat and chases them out. No more excuses, yes, the player needs to be held accountable. But this fanbase needs to learn that they are never going to be good if we act like a lynch mob every offseason.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Because if EDM waits one year to buy him out, he hits 26 years of age, and all of a sudden a buyout costs the team twice as much.

While Rask is not a bad player, he's not a 4M player, and his buyout at this point is very cheap on a per season basis because he is under 26. Edmonton's goal here should be absolving themselves of as much of Lucic's cap obligation as possible, which a deal centred around taking a cheap buyout like Rask back as a cap dump would accomplish.

So you think rask at 25 years old is done? Oilers need wingers. what's the plan get rid of lucic then sign James Neal to a 6year 6mil deal? That'll look like garbage in a year or two. Oilers are gonna need to take some risks on players who are buy-low candidates and hope they flourish playing with McDavid or drai. Recent examples of buy low candidates are Eberle, Schultz, dubnyk, hall, petry...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I am an Oilers fan. As a collective, Oilers fans are jerks. This fanbase has turned on "lunchpail" types as well, Lucic's statline and salary that caused the fan to turn on him just as much as his bad play. Every damn year our fanbase makes someone a scapegoat and chases them out. No more excuses, yes, the player needs to be held accountable. But this fanbase needs to learn that they are never going to be good if we act like a lynch mob every offseason.

Joe Fan in this market sometimes has difficulty with the fact that these are professional athletes that make a lot of money, sure. But Lucic put the target on his own back with his play. Some of the previous scapegoats didn’t deserve it at all (Petry, Dubnyk, Schultz) but this time I have a hard time empathizing with Lucic. From Feb through April he played some of the least inspired, laziest hockey I have ever seen in my life.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Rask is a 25 year old, 6'2", 200 lbs 40-50 point middle-6 Center. What more do you want for $4 million? He played much of the year with an injured shoulder and was "shut down" to have surgery once the Canes were officially eliminated.

Some Canes fan was pushing the idea of buying Rask out a couple months ago. It was absurd then and it isn't any more logical now. There are likely a dozen teams in the league that would give up a 2nd/3rd+ for Rask right now. At one point it was speculated that a team offered a late 1st for Rask at the last Trade Deadline. I mean Ryan Reaves got a late 1st last Draft. The Canes wouldn't have a problem finding a taker for Rask. They certainly don't need to add a monstrosity like Lucic to get rid of him.

Reactions: MinJaBen

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Rask is a 25 year old, 6'2", 200 lbs 40-50 point middle-6 Center. What more do you want for $4 million? He played much of the year with an injured shoulder and was "shut down" to have surgery once the Canes were officially eliminated.

Some Canes fan was pushing the idea of buying Rask out a couple months ago. It was absurd then and it isn't any more logical now. There are likely a dozen teams in the league that would give up a 2nd/3rd+ for Rask right now. At one point it was speculated that a team offered a late 1st for Rask at the last Trade Deadline.
Yep, if we bought him out, we're out some cap hit for six years plus we're purging a middle six forward. Makes no sense.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Lucic + 10th OA + 2 years retention (or you take back Matt Martin) for Nathan Horton.

update: I've been informed you can't retain for part of a contract so would have to change this to:

Lucic + 10th OA for Nathan Horton and Matt Martin

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This is just the epitome of Lucic. Aw, come on guys, dont make fun of me and my contract or I'll leave

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lucic + 10th OA + 2 years retention (or you take back Matt Martin) for Nathan Horton.

You can’t retain for part of a contract.

Once more.

- Retention on Lucic (range depending on return)
- Sweeten the pot with pick OR prospect
- You send crap/trash/perma IR players back

Pick ONE. Not all three, not ‘retain 50% and we want 10th overall and we’re sending things we found when snaking the drain back’.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Thought he was going to train hard this summer, gain a step and come back with a better year?

His foot speed isn't really the problem, it's his head. He seems unable to process the game at a high enough level, last season especially. The amount of wall breakout passes he missed was staggering, I haven't seen a worse pass out of the D zone.

Him getting lighter won't solve much, his head isn't there to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->