Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
You can’t retain for part of a contract.

Once more.

- Retention on Lucic (range depending on return)
- Sweeten the pot with pick OR prospect
- You send crap/trash/perma IR players back

Pick ONE. Not all three, not ‘retain 50% and we want 10th overall and we’re sending things we found when snaking the drain back’.

that may be what the Oilers want but I don't think that's reality. With 5 years left, a NMC, non-existent production and another expansion draft (for which you'll have to expose a good player to roster Lucic)....the Oilers are going to have to pay dearly to rid themselves of the worst contract in hockey.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Too many people counting Lucic out. The kid is a warrior and a proud man - he'll have a solid, bounce back season with around 20ish goals/45-50 points. It was just a bad year overall for a lot of Edmonton's players. While Lucic's poor play was a part of their downfall, I think he's still got something left in the tank.

Reactions: shortfuze

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Except for Montreal and LA. Who knows what other teams reached out to him and was told that he just wasn't interested

LA did not offer a contract similar to Edmonton's or else he never would have left.

If Lombardi had the cap space then he probably would have offered something similar but, thankfully, he didn't. He offered 8 years at $34MM total. Quite the difference.

Reactions: YP44

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
What an entitled loser. Get a contract, play like shit(and not just compared to the contract) then you want to move to somewhere because you essentially don't want accountability....

Chia will partially redeem himself if he doesn't get taken out back the wood shed in this deal.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After July 1st he'll make significanly less in real money than his cap hit.

this year after July 1st:
3.5M real money, 6M cap hit

then:
6M, 6M
4M, 6M
4M, 6M
5M, 6M

That could be more interesting for a budget team trying to reach the cap floor like Arizona.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I personally think that the Oilers should trade him to either Detroit or Carolina. Can't name a team that's willing to take on his contract and has space.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Too many people counting Lucic out. The kid is a warrior and a proud man - he'll have a solid, bounce back season with around 20ish goals/45-50 points. It was just a bad year overall for a lot of Edmonton's players. While Lucic's poor play was a part of their downfall, I think he's still got something left in the tank.

If he can't score with an art Ross winner, is there really much hope for him left?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
As a Kin's fan this seems to be going the Dustin Brown route. Sometimes players fit well in certain structures and not so well in others. LA changes coaches and Brown all of a sudden regains form. Not saying the Oilers need to change their coach but just an explanation as to why this may not be working out.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
As a neutral 3rd party

10th overall + Lucic for Domi

Yotes get a 10th overall and take Lucic --- Oilers get a young dynamic two-way winger.

This is awful for the Oilers. Trading our 1st just to dump him is not a good idea. That package would also get a better return than domi.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he can't score with an art Ross winner, is there really much hope for him left?

Not a lot, he got all the chances in the World to produce this past season, other teams wouldn't have given him those chances.

Even if he could have a good season it's too bad his contract doesn't have 1 year left, the team acquiring him has to hope he has 5 more years in him.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If he wants to go out East why would Carolina not be a good place? Sounds like Carolina wants to get tougher, they may deal Skinner so a top 6 LW spot will be open, they have boatloads of cap space and have high end defensemen to offer.

If it is a place Lucic wants to go it checks a lot of boxes IMO

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

More interesting to me is that Friedman's been told that the Oilers think they're going to get out of this clean (no retention/bad contract in return/trade kicker.)

I'm struggling to come up with a comp for a player that should have been a negative value asset, but wasn't. Horcoff is the closest that I can think of, but he only had 2 years left on his contract when Dallas traded for him. Anyone else?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Past his prime power forward with no hands that is slower than 99% of the league with an albatross contract. What's not to like?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He had 25 points in his first 36 games this year then 9 in the next 46. One bad 46 game stretch shouldn’t erase whats been a very consistent and solid career in the nhl.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
that may be what the Oilers want but I don't think that's reality. With 5 years left, a NMC, non-existent production and another expansion draft (for which you'll have to expose a good player to roster Lucic)....the Oilers are going to have to pay dearly to rid themselves of the worst contract in hockey.

There are worse contracts out there than Lucic, and dumping crap and getting retention and vulturing assets out of Edmonton might be what fans want but in that case we’re better off keeping him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If he wants to go out East why would Carolina not be a good place? Sounds like Carolina wants to get tougher, they may deal Skinner so a top 6 LW spot will be open, they have boatloads of cap space and have high end defensemen to offer.

If it is a place Lucic wants to go it checks a lot of boxes IMO

I find it doubtful that Carolina would take on a $4.5 mil x 5 year contract for a 30 year old clean, let alone giving up a "high end defenseman" to do it.

Darling and/or Rask would have to go back the other way to be viable. To give credit to Oiler fans, for the most part, they've been reasonable with their expectations of a Carolina trade.

Reactions: milehigh11

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
We will NOT include the 10th overall for Lucic. Rather just keep him than lose an asset that good.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I don't understand the Kings fans saying that they'll take him back. Yes, he can score but his foot speed and defensive awareness is no good, it was embarrassing seeing him fumble on the blue line and makings turnovers after another. The roster is trying to get younger and faster, not the opposite. I'm thrilled Lombardi wasn't able to match his contract as much he wanted to. It was a blessing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
More interesting to me is that Friedman's been told that the Oilers think they're going to get out of this clean (no retention/bad contract in return/trade kicker.)

I'm struggling to come up with a comp for a player that should have been a negative value asset, but wasn't. Horcoff is the closest that I can think of, but he only had 2 years left on his contract when Dallas traded for him. Anyone else?

Phaneuf. Leafs took on say a few bad contracts (but michalek, cowen, and greening only had an extra year after the current seasons that he was dealt in)

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad