Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What about this?
-Lucic is buyout proof for EDM due to his signing bonus. CAR apparently wants more toughness.
-CAR sends Rask to EDM for a late round pick+Future considerations @ the draft
-EDM buys out Victor Rask (4M AAV x 4 years/25 years old) prior to June 30th, they take a cap penalty of roughly 666k for the next eight seasons.
-After July 1st (or whenever Lucic is paid his 3.5M signing bonus), Lucic waives his NTC to be sent to CAR. CAR gives EDM a late pick. EDM retains roughly 1.33M which is roughly 22.7 percent of Lucic's cap hit.
-After his bonus is paid, Lucic is owed 22.5M spread out over the next five years. EDM retaining covers almost 5M of this remaining salary, meaning CAR only owes Lucic 17.5M over the next 5 seasons, which is a real money AAV of 3.5M. CAR effectively pays Lucic a lower salary than they were paying Rask, with the only caveat being Lucic is signed 1 year longer.
-EDM walks away with roughly 2M on the books for the next five seasons, and then roughly 666k on the books for three more seasons after that. A financial obligation that is LESS than what a Lucic buyout would have been if he had no signing bonuses. In turn, EDM frees up about 4M worth of cap for the next five seasons, a significant amount considering Lucic is buyout proof and has a full NMC.
How about we just let Lucic wear Hossa’s old equipment. Why make it so complicated?;)

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
A lot of Kings fans are saying this, but it might be possible to get Lucid back on the Kings in exchange for trading up in the draft. Something like Martinez + 20 for Lucic 2 mil retained + 10. Martinez is already paid 4 mil a year, so with the retention your paying the same amount but for a possibly more productive player. The Kings take the chance that Lucic thrives on a slower team (and slower line with Brown Kopitar) and upgrade in the draft. As mentioned, Lucic already loves the core players in LA, that might be enough to get him out of his funk/get him training up to speed. Brown recently pulled out of a similiar rut himself, he might be able to help in that regard.

I don't think it's an amazing idea for the Kings, but id think about it. It might require some tweaking though, but the base is interesting.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Oilers fans are gonna say no but from Avs perspective:

Lucic @ 4.5M cap hit + 10th ov + 2019 2nd for 2018 3rd.

the amount of money going out for Lucic after July 1st is 4.5M/year, not 6M
I'm pretty sure Oilers can find a team willing to take the full 6M cap hit if
they're sending the 10 OA pick with it.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
So the Oilers lose almost another million in cap space, and downgrade from 10 to 20? Lol, no thanks. If the 10 was ever involved in a trade with Lucic (and it won't be) there wouldn't be any retention or salary coming back.

LA is taking on a lot more term. I'll be shocked if the Oilers don't include a nice asset or high pick and retain to move Lucic.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lucic + 2019 first that downgrades to 3rd if he scores 60 plus points + 2020 2nd that downgrades to nothing if he scores 60+ in 2020 for future considerations.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
What an entitled little bitch. Signs a big contract he knows he could never live up to, and now he wants the Oilers to arrange a trade for him. Bury his ass in the minors, let him ride the buses. Someone should tell him the world doesn't revolve around him, and to quit being a spoiled little bitch. Players like him don't live in the real world because they've never had to - they need to learn that this is their job; criticism and attention and media pressure comes with the territory. Guys like him just expect everyone to cater to their every temper tantrum and whim because they've 'worked hard' and they're Mr. Big Shot NHLer to everyone in their lives. What a joke.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I like Lucic and thought he should of stayed in LA.

Not for that contract tho.

Wouldn’t touch it unless half his salary was retained. Even then, the term is bad.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What an entitled little *****. Signs a big contract he knows he could never live up to, and now he wants the Oilers to arrange a trade for him. Bury his ass in the minors, let him ride the buses. Someone should tell him the world doesn't revolve around him, and to quit being a spoiled little *****. Players like him don't live in the real world because they've never had to - they need to learn that this is their job; criticism and attention and media pressure comes with the territory. Guys like him just expect everyone to cater to their every temper tantrum and whim because they've 'worked hard' and they're Mr. Big Shot NHLer to everyone in their lives. What a joke.
He has a nmc which prevents him from being demoted.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like Lucic and thought he should of stayed in LA.

Not for that contract tho.

Wouldn’t touch it unless half his salary was retained. Even then, the term is bad.
And that’s why he signed in Edm for the term and dollars. Now he wants out?

Lifestyle matters. But, sometimes you have to take less to get that lifestyle. No sympathy from me. Can’t have it both way man.

If you struggle as a yankee the fans will be on you, same as if you are a Dallas cowboy and Boston Celtic.

Reactions: LAKings88

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if he was going to be useless at playing, the least he could do is provide leadership and set a good example for the rest of the team. Instead he's really doing the exact opposite. yeah he's terrible and the team is disappointing and he's getting heat for it, but that's no reason to give up

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Not gonna cost the 10th overall or Pulujarvi to move Lucic. It’ll probably look a lot like the Phaneuf trade.

I would bet a decent amount of money that Lucic scores 20+ goals next year, and I bet many GMs feel similarly. They don’t have the one season memory that most fans do.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not gonna cost the 10th overall or Pulujarvi to move Lucic. It’ll probably look a lot like the Phaneuf trade.

I would bet a decent amount of money that Lucic scores 20+ goals next year, and I bet many GMs feel similarly. They don’t have the one season memory that most fans do.
It’s more than just next season a gm should be thinking about. It’s the 4th & 5th year that should concern them as well. A guy who was never fast aging in a game where all players can skate isn’t a good long term investment. Plus, he’s not going to waive unless his nmc is maintained which makes him a burden when it comes to the Seattle ED and you have to waste a spot for him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It’s more than just next season a gm should be thinking about. It’s the 4th & 5th year that should concern them as well. A guy who was never fast aging in a game where all players can skate isn’t a good long term investment. Plus, he’s not going to waive unless his nmc is maintained which makes him a burden when it comes to the Seattle ED and you have to waste a spot for him.

People overlook that ED issue.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
If it makes looch feel any better, I'm sure most people in Edmonton don't want him there either. Add to that, I suspect that most other Canadian markets don't want him either.

It's a match made in heaven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->