Injury Report: Loui Eriksson (Update 11/5 - In the lineup!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Oh, great, the dreaded "I" word: indefinitely.

Of course, that could mean 3 days or it could mean 3 months, who knows...

I bet will here more specifics in the coming days. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins are being vague about his recovery time in order to give Shanny something more to think about. "Indefinitely" sounds a lot worse than 2-3 weeks, for example.

I really hope this hit doesn't damage Loui's career and personal health going forward. That would be a shame.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci

Aug 7, 2004
LA, CA
Pens fan coming in peace. John Scott deserves 15-20 for that hit. There was no reason to even hit the guy.

Won't be surprised if he gets extra games for late hit as well as targeting the head, and principle point of contact being the head. He's got all three signs of a BS hit going against him here. Garbage.

Hope Loui is back relatively soon for you guys and does not suffer any lingering effects.

Whoever said Scott should be forced to suit up and play for 30 minutes a night was almost right... but you just can't have that ****er out there. He'll just make it a point to knock more skilled players out of the game.

If the NHL was serious about suspensions, he would get 15 for what was a blatantly unnecessary hit, targeting the head, which pretty much means intent to injure. As one of my old coaches said about how to hit properly (I'm sure he was quoting someone, but I forget who,) "The goal of a hit is to separate the man from the puck, not the man from the game." This hit served no tactical purpose, it was just trying to hurt someone. Finishing your check and making a guy pay for making a play is one thing. Trying to inflict injury is another.

That said, get ready for Shanny's, "since Scott has no history of supplementary discipline and has said he's sorry, the department of player safety suspends him 5 games."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Oh, great, the dreaded "I" word: indefinitely.

Of course, that could mean 3 days or it could mean 3 months, who knows...

I bet will here more specifics in the coming days. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins are being vague about his recovery time in order to give Shanny something more to think about. "Indefinitely" sounds a lot worse than 2-3 weeks, for example.

I really hope this hit doesn't damage Loui's career and personal health going forward. That would be a shame.

All I can say is that a] I'm in complete agreement with Milbury, and b] I am thoroughly disgusted with the entire issue of hits to the head.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
When is this league going to make a ****ing example out of someone in regards to hits to the head? It's sickening that we are STILL having this conversation, almost 4 years after the Cooke/Savard hit, which I really think opened a lot of eyes to the issue.

It hasn't changed, it hasn't gotten better. The league really needs to step up and ruin one of these idiot's careers, since that's what they are already doing to other players by playing.

I'm sick and ****ing tired of it.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
All I can say is that a] I'm in complete agreement with Milbury, and b] I am thoroughly disgusted with the entire issue of hits to the head.

Not defending Scott who I think has no business in this league,but a 6'8" guy hitting a 6'2 guy is guaranteed a head shot by the bigger player.

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
Man oh man.

Directly off the bench , to an opposing player and a blow to the noggin. Can it be any worse for this sport to clean that shti up.
You don't even witness that in fake raslin' anymore.

Brutal

Here is a complete list of the wounded in the NHL at this time

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
So sorry to hear about Eriksson injury due to a totally classless and unnecessary act. Thinking of all the B's careers that were short due to various injuries makes it even harder (Kluzak, Orr, Thelevin, Neely, Savard ... on and on).

Best wishes ... Avs fan.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Eerily similar. Good news is that unlike Savvy/Bergy/Horton, he didn't appear to have lost conciousness.

Crosby and Backstrom didn't lose consciousness either... both missed significant time.

The only good news I'll take is that he isn't having bad symptoms.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
We better hope we don't play Hunwick. :rant:

Hunwicks hit wasn't even bad. The thing was if Savvy couldn't handle that hit, he wasn't going to play hockey at a high level like that again. And look what happened.

Hopefully Louie will be okay and make a swift recovery. That hit was uncalled for.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Crosby and Backstrom didn't lose consciousness either... both missed significant time.

The only good news I'll take is that he isn't having bad symptoms.

Good point. Didn't they determine Sid's was a neck thing after a while rather than a concussion?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm just sick of this ****. Really, it's time. Time to start dealing out tremendous suspensions and fines to intentional hits to the head. I don't care who the player is or the team. Enough. End it.

gsr

Nov 17, 2005
Not defending Scott who I think has no business in this league,but a 6'8" guy hitting a 6'2 guy is guaranteed a head shot by the bigger player.
:help:

If that were the case, then nearly every player that Chara makes contact with would be leaving games with concussions...

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
This makes me sick. Loui would never hurt a fly. Mother******* John Scott needs out of the league asap. Here's to hoping for a speedy recover. Sorry fellas :(

Also, Rolston needs to gtfo. Nothing but an idiot coach.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If a player takes an obvious shot at someone's head then the absolute minimum should be 20 games. If the injured player is out more than 20 games then the offending player should not be allowed to play until the injured player comes back. Simple as that. If the NHL is all that serious about this crap then it needs to back up its talk with action. A 10 game suspension is nothing if a cheap shot puts a player out for dozens of games.

Alaska

40 Below
Jul 25, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
Someone mentioned that this is Louie's second concussion. He will be out a minimum of one month, maybe longer depending on current symptoms. Once symptoms have resolved, then he has to go through the return to play progression:

Baseline (Step 0): As the baseline step of the Return to Play Progression, the athlete needs to have completed physical and cognitive rest and not be experiencing concussion symptoms for a minimum of 24 hours. Keep in mind, the younger the athlete, the more conservative the treatment.

Step 1: Light Aerobic Exercise
The Goal: only to increase an athlete’s heart rate.
The Time: 5 to 10 minutes.
The Activities: exercise bike, walking, or light jogging.
Absolutely no weight lifting, jumping or hard running.

Step 2: Moderate Exercise
The Goal: limited body and head movement.
The Time: Reduced from typical routine
The Activities: moderate jogging, brief running, moderate-intensity stationary biking, and moderate-intensity weightlifting

Step 3: Non-contact Exercise
The Goal: more intense but non-contact
The Time: Close to Typical Routine
The Activities: running, high-intensity stationary biking, the player’s regular weightlifting routine, and non-contact sport-specific drills. This stage may add some cognitive component to practice in addition to the aerobic and movement components introduced in Steps 1 and 2.

Step 4: Practice
The Goal: Reintegrate in full contact practice.

Step 5: Play
The Goal: Return to competition

You can only progress to the next level IF you don't have symptoms at the lower levels.

This is why Sevard has not returned to play. At present, he is only on step 2 or 3 before his symptoms of headache return. In addition to that, he is having memory issues.

Based on what we know right now, don't look for Louie to return for at least a month.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
:help:

If that were the case, then nearly every player that Chara makes contact with would be leaving games with concussions...

If I'm 6'8 and you're 6'2 or less,your head is at my shoulder. Chara is not known for open ice hits.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Someone mentioned that this is Louie's second concussion. He will be out a minimum of one month, maybe longer depending on current symptoms. Once symptoms have resolved, then he has to go through the return to play progression:

Baseline (Step 0): As the baseline step of the Return to Play Progression, the athlete needs to have completed physical and cognitive rest and not be experiencing concussion symptoms for a minimum of 24 hours. Keep in mind, the younger the athlete, the more conservative the treatment.

The Activities: moderate jogging, brief running, moderate-intensity stationary biking, and moderate-intensity weightlifting

The Activities: running, high-intensity stationary biking, the player’s regular weightlifting routine, and non-contact sport-specific drills. This stage may add some cognitive component to practice in addition to the aerobic and movement components introduced in Steps 1 and 2.

You can only progress to the next level IF you don't have symptoms at the lower levels.

This is why Sevard has not returned to play. At present, he is only on step 2 or 3 before his symptoms of headache return. In addition to that, he is having memory issues.

Based on what we know right now, don't look for Louie to return for at least a month.

Didn't Bergeron return from a concussion rather quickly in the 2011 playoffs.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

Blanket statements are cozy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad