Value of: Loui Eriksson to Ottawa

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
LE is AHL level of bad. Its why Nucks fans are considering Alzner’ing him!

Sens at least get 0.5ppg production from Ryan when healthy!

Ryan was a horrific signing but Ottawa is far away from competing. So taking on bad expiring contracts within the next 2 seasons for prospects and picks is a good plan at this point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The cap hit is irrelevant since Ottawa won’t be close to the cap any time in the next two seasons — the real salary is all Melnyk would care about.
Melnyk saves a lot in real dollars with Loui. 6 mil on the cap, while paying out only 2.5 mil in real dollars. And that’s for two seasons! Loui might actually have value, because of the Covid flat cap and no fans in seats, to revenue starved teams. Melnyk would need a guarantee from Loui that he will not retire early though. :laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Eriksson 4.5M(25% retained) + 2021 conditional 3rd for Reilly + Stl 6th?

The conditions being Eriksson playing 50% of Senators games the next two seasons. If he does the pick is a 4th, if he doesn't the pick is a 3rd. So if he is in the AHL or scratch for more than 50% it's a 3rd, if he retires its a 4th.

For Ottawa they add 3M in cap this season and 4.5M next. In real cash they save 750k this season and owe Eriksson 3.25M next. So a 2.5M add over two seasons would be 1.25M a season which isn't bad for a bottom 6 player. Eriksson is still good defensively so could take heavy defensive minutes and help shelter a young C like Stutzle or Byfield or even a Logan Brown or Josh Norris. I think saving 750k this year is big with no fans or less than normal, by 2021 they should have fans back so there will be more money coming in so the 3.25M isn't as tough to swallow. The Stl 6th is because of the cash difference Reilly is owed this year.

For Vancouver they save 3M in cap this year and 4.5M next. They get a pick this year when they are missing a couple even if its late. Reilly isn't needed so they can try to trade him or send him down or trade Benn to free up an extra 500k and have Reilly as a 7th D. They add cash this year but not much and save next season. A 3rd round pick to free up 4.5M seems like a good deal, possibly just a 4th if Eriksson retires or is actually used by Ottawa.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Eriksson + 2021 2nd for Anisimov.

I don't see why Ottawa would have interest in that. Anisimov could probably be traded at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th at the deadline, not as good as a 2nd, and not have to have Eriksson with his 6M cap and 4M real cash on the roster next season. There would need to be some retention to get the cap and cash down.

Reactions: Altimus

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With this Covid crisis causing many NHL teams to struggle financially, and likely needing to seriously cut player costs dòes Loui now actually have value? He counts 6 million on the cap for two more seasons, but is only owed 5 million in total dollars. A guy like Melnyk might actually want that contract, because it saves him 7 million in actual cash over the next two years.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
With this Covid crisis causing many NHL teams to struggle financially, and likely needing to seriously cut player costs dòes Loui now actually have value? He counts 6 million on the cap for two more seasons, but is only owed 5 million in total dollars. A guy like Melnyk might actually want that contract, because it saves him 7 million in actual cash over the next two years.
This is my thinking. Some fans on here seem to be underestimating how cheap Melnyk is, especially with reduced revenue. They need to make up a minimum of 19.5-20m in cap, and Melnyk will not be willing to spend 19.5-20m real dollars to do it. Like in years passed, he will force the GM to get a player or two like LE who will help him reach that cap, but not cost. Esp this year his bonus is paid and only gets 1m further.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is my thinking. Some fans on here seem to be underestimating how cheap Melnyk is, especially with reduced revenue. They need to make up a minimum of 19.5-20m in cap, and Melnyk will not be willing to spend 19.5-20m real dollars to do it. Like in years passed, he will force the GM to get a player or two like LE who will help him reach that cap, but not cost. Esp this year his bonus is paid and only gets 1m further.
If I was a Sens fan I’d not like the sounds of getting Loui, just to save 7 million. But Melnyk owners the team, and until the league starts generating profits again he’s going to need to save dollars. I could see a trade like Loui (sweetened with a young inexpensive guy like Gaudette) for a late round pick. It’s definitely not a fair value trade, except for that 7 million dollars in savings fir Melnyk.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Eriksson 4.5M(25% retained) + 2021 conditional 3rd for Reilly + Stl 6th?

The conditions being Eriksson playing 50% of Senators games the next two seasons. If he does the pick is a 4th, if he doesn't the pick is a 3rd. So if he is in the AHL or scratch for more than 50% it's a 3rd, if he retires its a 4th.

For Ottawa they add 3M in cap this season and 4.5M next. In real cash they save 750k this season and owe Eriksson 3.25M next. So a 2.5M add over two seasons would be 1.25M a season which isn't bad for a bottom 6 player. Eriksson is still good defensively so could take heavy defensive minutes and help shelter a young C like Stutzle or Byfield or even a Logan Brown or Josh Norris. I think saving 750k this year is big with no fans or less than normal, by 2021 they should have fans back so there will be more money coming in so the 3.25M isn't as tough to swallow. The Stl 6th is because of the cash difference Reilly is owed this year.

For Vancouver they save 3M in cap this year and 4.5M next. They get a pick this year when they are missing a couple even if its late. Reilly isn't needed so they can try to trade him or send him down or trade Benn to free up an extra 500k and have Reilly as a 7th D. They add cash this year but not much and save next season. A 3rd round pick to free up 4.5M seems like a good deal, possibly just a 4th if Eriksson retires or is actually used by Ottawa.

No incentive for Ottawa to do this. A conditional third to take on Eriksson for two years? That’s a no from me dawg.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I think the Canucks would most likely get rid of easier bad contracts like Sutter, Beagle etc before they try to get rid of Eriksson while attaching a really good sweetner.

Personally Id do

Stecher, Eriksson and a 3rd

for

5th round pick

No team will take LE if that’s all they are getting.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Canucks are not trading boeser as a sweetner to get rid of eriksson! That is just ludicrous.

No of course not, but if they want to get rid of Eriksson, you have to give at least a 2nd round pick imo. Some of these offers are sad. A third? Come on, no incentive for a team to take on Eriksson if all they get is a third round pick.

Toronto gave up a first to get rid of Marleau. I don’t know how desperate the Canucks are to get rid of Eriksson. The more desperate they are, the more they will have to give up.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
No of course not, but if they want to get rid of Eriksson, you have to give at least a 2nd round pick imo. Some of these offers are sad. A third? Come on, no incentive for a team to take on Eriksson if all they get is a third round pick.

Toronto gave up a first to get rid of Marleau. I don’t know how desperate the Canucks are to get rid of Eriksson. The more desperate they are, the more they will have to give up.
I agree and understand... it would have to be some combo of:
a) Canucks retain some of eriksson’s salary
b) Canucks take back some (potentially dead weight) salary
c) pick(s)/ prospect(s) to help offset and bridge the gap

No team is going to do us any favours, has to be something in it for them. Benning has stated outright he doesn’t want to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick to move out salary. That and we don’t have many of those to just dangle either.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Canucks are going to have to hang onto him unless they are willing to give up serious futures. Can’t buy out Eriksson without huge cap penalties, can’t put him on LTIR, has two years on the contract. Guys like Virtanen and Stecher are easy to find on the trade and UFA market without having to eat 6M in cap hit.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
If I was a Sens fan I’d not like the sounds of getting Loui, just to save 7 million. But Melnyk owners the team, and until the league starts generating profits again he’s going to need to save dollars. I could see a trade like Loui (sweetened with a young inexpensive guy like Gaudette) for a late round pick. It’s definitely not a fair value trade, except for that 7 million dollars in savings fir Melnyk.
That is probably the most important thing for the Sens going in to next season. I also looked at the Kapanen trade and think JV holds more value. Same point totals with more goals in JV favor, plus JV's advanced stats were better overall.

Reactions: Luckylarry

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
In what way does he save 7 million?
6m cap hit = 12 million real dollars over 2 years. LE is owed only 5m over the next 2 seasons. Melnyk gets a 6m cap hit for 2 years(potential flat cap for 3+ years) and saves 7 million real dollars to acquire it over those years. He saves a total of 5 million real dollars this year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
EM will eventually need to convince this fanbase to come back.....Not to mention convincing a player like Tkachuk ,that we are actually serious about putting a championship team on the ice...These types of deals are exactly why the fanbase has not bothered to show up before Covid...

Reactions: Neiler

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
6m cap hit = 12 million real dollars over 2 years. LE is owed only 5m over the next 2 seasons. Melnyk gets a 6m cap hit for 2 years(potential flat cap for 3+ years) and saves 7 million real dollars to acquire it over those years. He saves a total of 5 million real dollars this year.

But he doesn’t have to pay any of that if Ottawa doesn’t acquire Eriksson. There’s no incentive for Ottawa to acquire Eriksson unless there’s a significant sweetener attached.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad