Value of: Loui Eriksson to Ottawa

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
We all know LE is a player that the Canucks would like to offload. He is still effective as a defensive forward(making 3m more than he should), and would actually slightly improve Ottawa(thats how bad they are). He definitely has negative value, but he can help Ottawa(really Melnyk) in a big way. With his bonus paid, he is making only a million in salary this year while carrying a 6m hit. Ottawa needs to make up nearly 20m in cap to hit the floor, and their current RFA's will not get them there. Melnyk is notorious for wanting players that make less than their cap hit due to being so cheap.

My question is this:

What would it take for Ottawa to help Van lower cap hit, and Van to help Ottawa reach floor using LE?

Personally I think something around JV or Stetchers rights with LE for ?

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Eriksson + 1st* + Virtannen/Gaudette/Demko is something i'll bite on. I think we can absorb Erikssons contract since he is still somewhat decent when it comes to PK and his own end.

*) The 1st pick would gain protection depending on what player comes along with Eriksson, i'm not sure if Vancouver see higher value in Demko or Gaudette so i'm thinking something like:
Virtannen = Top 3 protection
Gaudette = Top 5 protection
Demko = Top 10 protection.

I might be off base on this one in terms of the value but we could probably hammer something out with lower picks to smoothen it out. Eriksson is pretty bad, but at least he isn't locked up until 2027 .:deadhorse

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think the Canucks would most likely get rid of easier bad contracts like Sutter, Beagle etc before they try to get rid of Eriksson while attaching a really good sweetner.

Personally Id do

Stecher, Eriksson and a 3rd

for

5th round pick

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If the ask to move LE is a 1st + the Canucks send him to Utica, hope he retires, but even if he doesn't he can do all the little things right in the AHL and save the Canucks about $900k in cap a season. Canucks should be looking at other deals anyway. I would attach Virtanen to Beagle for a pick, retain on Sutter and try to trade Stetcher with Roussel for a pick. With Loui in the AHL, that would be $10million in cap space as well as not needing to pay Virtanen and Stetcher's RFA asks. Rafferty can fill in as #3 RHD, he just had a great season in the AHL and makes $700K, MacEwen can fill in for Jake and will be less than $1million cap. Maybe Lind makes the jump, or a free agent is willing to accept a 1 year deal to play on an up and coming team. I know this is a lot of moving parts but losing a 1st and other asset to jettison Eriksson isn't worth it.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ottawa will hit the cap floor just fine with the players they have.

No reason to add Loui.

Also, Ottawa doesn't "buy" draft picks. So even the people suggesting Loui + a pick doesn't make sense either.

About the only way I can see something happening is if it is Bobby Ryan for Loui Erikson because that is the only way to significantly reduce Ottawa's payroll.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa have zero capacity to increase payroll by even a single dollar. So any deal sending Eriksson to the Senators would have to save them money.

Ryan at 34.49% retained for Eriksson. No other assets on either side.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Eriksson and a 4th for Bobby Ryan at %50 retention gets Ottawa a pick and saves them about 2.5M in real salary.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Van is not going to give up a 1st round pick to get rid of contracts - already been stated by the GM. They are just going to have to ride it out...

Reactions: Luckylarry

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Eriksson and a 4th for Bobby Ryan at %50 retention gets Ottawa a pick and saves them about 2.5M in real salary.
Why does Ottawa need to retain the Canucks are going to buyout him out any way and it saves them 2.5 million on the cap. Also, they could probably get a good return of assets for taking on Ryan's money owed.

PenderB

Jun 9, 2019
So Ott carries a combined 9.6M caphit for a 4th? LOL
As a fan perspective yes but with Ottawas owner he is more concerned about actual dollars. There’s rumours that vancouvers owner is as well as other are too due to the loss of revenue

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
The cap hit is irrelevant since Ottawa won’t be close to the cap any time in the next two seasons — the real salary is all Melnyk would care about.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Bec
Why does Ottawa need to retain the Canucks are going to buyout him out any way and it saves them 2.5 million on the cap. Also, they could probably get a good return of assets for taking on Ryan's money owed.
Without retention an Eriksson/Ryan trade followed by a buyout would save the Sens a whopping 8.5M in real salary without giving the Canucks significant cap relief. The trade simply doesn’t make sense. It might if a couple of 2nds came from the Sens.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Id consider something like Eriksson Virtanen 2022 3rd and 2020 5th to Ottawa for a 2020 4th round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad