Value of: Loui Eriksson to Ottawa

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I think that the Canucks should try and look for a three team trade if they can make it work.

Trade Eriksson and a 2nd for Ryan (50% cap retained) - Ottawa pays a total of $4 million in cash for $9.25 million in cap.

Canucks then trade Ryan (who would be at $3.625 million) for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Though I think the best option for the Canucks is persuade Eriksson to retire and then hire him as an amateur scout based in Dallas so he can be with his family.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You realize someone has to play defense and get paid, Reilly makes 1.5m so I don’t see the enormous savings you’re offering there.

On the left I see Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin and Lajoie as options. You can probably find a bottom pair RD like Luke Schenn for 1M or less, could bring back Ceci for cheap as well. There might be some RFA's who don't get qualified you could target. Reilly makes 1.5M cash and if you get Eriksson with 25% retained he makes just 750k next year, so bring in a 6/7 at 750k and it's even money.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
On the left I see Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin and Lajoie as options. You can probably find a bottom pair RD like Luke Schenn for 1M or less, could bring back Ceci for cheap as well. There might be some RFA's who don't get qualified you could target. Reilly makes 1.5M cash and if you get Eriksson with 25% retained he makes just 750k next year, so bring in a 6/7 at 750k and it's even money.
We signed Zub and have Zaitsev as RHD players,to go along with Reilly..Ottawa likely isnt going to make the plaoffs again next season ..But we need to start seeing what we have

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa has middle/bottom six forwards...Either on the team or going to make the jump...Add in both top 5 picks this season and we are getting pretty crowded with young forwards...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Here’s a thought. Why don’t the Canucks just keep Eriksson? Ottawa doesn’t want him and they don’t need him. Try making a fair offer and maybe someone will be interested. We don’t want your third round pick to take on this player.

I'm not a Canucks fan or Ottawa fan. Just like making trades and trying to work the cap. I don't think Ottawa would want him at 6M, at 4.5M it's possible. His real cash for this season is 1M so if 25% retained just 750k, that's 4th line money so he isn't overpaid next season. The following year his real cash is 4M, 1M bonus 3M salary but if retained 2.25M salary. So yes he would be overpaid next season. There's a possibility he doesn't even report to Ottawa and just retires so you get a 2021 3rd for Reilly + 6th.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I'm not a Canucks fan or Ottawa fan. Just like making trades and trying to work the cap. I don't think Ottawa would want him at 6M, at 4.5M it's possible. His real cash for this season is 1M so if 25% retained just 750k, that's 4th line money so he isn't overpaid next season. The following year his real cash is 4M, 1M bonus 3M salary but if retained 2.25M salary. So yes he would be overpaid next season. There's a possibility he doesn't even report to Ottawa and just retires so you get a 2021 3rd for Reilly + 6th.
he has a M-NTC, so it's his call... if he "thinks" that he can play top 6 minutes in OTT well that's his call... so if his 15 no trade list looks like this, well, VAN is pretty much stuck with him (Montreal, Minnesota, San Jose, NY Rangers, Boston, Winnipeg, Dallas, Calgary, Los Angeles, Florida, Colorado, NewJersey, Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That's interesting. Do you a team with cap space like Ottawa would be getting a lot of offers this offseason?

Sure but they might not be offers they want. Teams will call to try to dump players on them but it has to be a deal that makes sense. There's players much better than Eriksson that Ottawa could get but what is the salary of that player? I don't think they'll take on a lot of actual cash so some names won't make sense. I also don't think teams will be paying big to shed cap either. Pittsburgh ate 50% to just give away Blujstad, they didn't have to attach anything to him. So I see more retained salary dumps out there to move cap.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
As a Sens fan,Iam pretty sick of us trading away cap space for peanuts....But with EM you likely will get your wish Vancouver

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
As a Sens fan,Iam pretty sick of us trading away cap space for peanuts....But with EM you likely will get your wish Vancouver
I am a fan of Ottawa after Van and Detroit. Melnyk's cheapness annoys me to no end. That is why my thinking of sending JV(essentially a 1st in value) was what I thought a good deal would be. Canucks gain much needed cap space, and Ottawa gains a cheap way to make the floor(real cash) and gets a guy who is guaranteed to play top 9, and could even play in Ottawa's top 6.

Reactions: topshelf15

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I am a fan of Ottawa after Van and Detroit. Melnyk's cheapness annoys me to no end. That is why my thinking of sending JV(essentially a 1st in value) was what I thought a good deal would be. Canucks gain much needed cap space, and Ottawa gains a cheap way to make the floor(real cash) and gets a guy who is guaranteed to play top 9, and could even play in Ottawa's top 6.
So what does an eriksson + Virtanen deal look like? Assuming senators would want us taking back anisimov?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
So what does an eriksson + Virtanen deal look like? Assuming senators would want us taking back anisimov?
I don't see why they would want us to take him. His bonus is paid and he is only owed 1.5m real dollars going forward. That would just be extra cap they need to make back and spend real dollars on. If it was a must though:

LE + Virtanen for Anisimov + 2020 2nd (Probably Ottawa's, if not CBJs)

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I don't see why they would want us to take him. His bonus is paid and he is only owed 1.5m real dollars going forward. That would just be extra cap they need to make back and spend real dollars on. If it was a must though:

We need the cap space, especially to resign Hughes and petey next off season. Our owners don’t mind paying more real dollars too.

I’d be down for this deal from a Canucks perspective.

Reactions: David71

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
1. Sure but they might not be offers they want.

2. Teams will call to try to dump players on them but it has to be a deal that makes sense.

3. There's players much better than Eriksson that Ottawa could get but what is the salary of that player? I

1. I would agree, they will get plenty of offers. That should put them in a pretty good position to sort through them and pick something good i.e., extra beneficial given how many teams have cap woes.

2. The fans seem to want to dump their team's baggage and cap dumps on them as well it seems which is what most of this thread (and others) are all about.

3. They acquired several veterans during last year's off season as well. If they are short duration contracts, they can move them for additional assets and the trade deadline which they last year also.

Summary - Teams with lots of cap space (e.g., Ottawa) will have plenty of options and there will be no need for them to take other's team (garbage) cap dumps unless there's big incentive for them to do so.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Pretty weak return for Ottawa, especially in this market for a cap dump (LE). I doubt if that deal would draw any interest at all.

Reactions: Altimus

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
1. I would agree, they will get plenty of offers. That should put them in a pretty good position to sort through them and pick something good i.e., extra beneficial given how many teams have cap woes.

2. The fans seem to want to dump their team's baggage and cap dumps on them as well it seems which is what most of this thread (and others) are all about.

3. They acquired several veterans during last year's off season as well. If they are short duration contracts, they can move them for additional assets and the trade deadline which they last year also.

Summary - Teams with lots of cap space (e.g., Ottawa) will have plenty of options and there will be no need for them to take other's team (garbage) cap dumps unless there's big incentive for them to do so.

What good offers do you think you'll get? Most teams looking to shed cap aren't looking to offload any players that seem too desirable. I also don't see any Marleau situations either.

Vegas is looking to offload Fleury, he makes too much. Arizona probably Stepan and Goligoski, neither is needed Goligoski makes too much and Stepan isn't much better than Anisimov. St. Louis has Steen and Bozak, Steen isn't very good anymore and Bozak is but makes 4M plus will take a spot from a kid that Ottawa wants to play. Toronto has Kerfoot and Johnsson which aren't upgrades and take a spot. Eriksson isn't better than any of those names but he's the cheapest for next season at 1M and would be a 4th liner so not blocking one of the good kids.

The paid Hainsey 3.5M, Namestnikov was paid probably 2M+ his time there. With Covid I don't see them looking to spend that kind of money again on depth players. Guys making 2M or less would be the most interesting for them and there's not a lot of cap dumps making that little in real cash for next season.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

What good offers do you think you'll get?

The paid Hainsey 3.5M, Namestnikov was paid probably 2M+ his time there. With Covid I don't see them looking to spend that kind of money again on depth players. Guys making 2M or less would be the most interesting for them and there's not a lot of cap dumps making that little in real cash for next season.

I already answered that question - see #3 above. You identified some of the vet players they acquired last off season under similar circumstances. With a flat cap, there will be even more players looking for contracts, and they will be even cheaper.

I would also expect a lot more short duration contracts being signed as well (e.g., 1 or 2 years) - after all, better to have a contract than no contract at all.

I won't waste my time going through each teams roster, but look at teams like TBL or my team (Leafs). These teams, along with others, will have some decent players that become cap casualties. You could also go to CapFriendly and take a look.

You seem to be locked on to the cap dump subject because that's what your team needs to do. Doesn't mean that's the only option available to a team with cap space no matter how much pretending you want to do.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I already answered that question - see #3 above. You identified some of the vet players they acquired last off season under similar circumstances. With a flat cap, there will be even more players looking for contracts, and they will be even cheaper.

I would also expect a lot more short duration contracts being signed as well (e.g., 1 or 2 years) - after all, better to have a contract than no contract at all.

I won't waste my time going through each teams roster, but look at teams like TBL or my team (Leafs). These teams, along with others, will have some decent players that become cap casualties. You could also go to CapFriendly and take a look.

You seem to be locked on to the cap dump subject because that's what your team needs to do. Doesn't mean that's the only option available to a team with cap space no matter how much pretending you want to do.

Ok so your a Leaf fan, I'm a lightning fan. Is Toronto willing to pay to get rid of Kerfoot or Johnsson? No you guys are going to want some value back for them. I can't see Ottawa being that interested in them in the first place let alone willing to pay for them. Kerfoot and Johnsson just clog up the forward spots for Ottawa and aren't a big enough upgrade to make them interested. Same with Tampa we aren't looking to give away any of our forwards, we would want some value back. I also don't think Ottawa would want the older vets of ours who will take a top 9 spot. Someone like Eriksson is a 4th liner or he's sent to Binghamton, not taking a spot from an Ottawa prospect. He also makes just 1M next year which no Toronto or Tampa forward does.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ok so your a Leaf fan, I'm a lightning fan. Is Toronto willing to pay to get rid of Kerfoot or Johnsson? No you guys are going to want some value back for them. I can't see Ottawa being that interested in them in the first place let alone willing to pay for them. Kerfoot and Johnsson just clog up the forward spots for Ottawa and aren't a big enough upgrade to make them interested. Same with Tampa we aren't looking to give away any of our forwards, we would want some value back. I also don't think Ottawa would want the older vets of ours who will take a top 9 spot. Someone like Eriksson is a 4th liner or he's sent to Binghamton, not taking a spot from an Ottawa prospect. He also makes just 1M next year which no Toronto or Tampa forward does.
Pay to move Kerfoot or AJ, probably not. But that's comparing an apple and a razor blade. Kerfoot & AJ aren't stellar, but they are decent, legit middle of the lineup NHL players. Their salaries aren't out of whack either. We might not get much back compared to normal times assuming there's much interest in the 1st place. I'm guessing there will be other free agency options that could be roughly/nearly equivalent that could be acquired on bargain basement type deals. I'm probably not your typical Leaf fan (stereotype image I'm referring to) anyhow, so I'm not expecting the big return like others probably are.

Speaking of TBL, given that Killorn has a modified no-trade (a 16 team no trade list), I can see a team squeezing Tampa for a less desirable (compared to normal markets) return, so it might cost an asset, etc., or it might just be a surprising low return (e.g., late pick). That would be a more desirable & useful alternative for a team with lots of cap space to get than LE. And, Tampa is going to have to find a way of meeting cap, so some tough decisions (and player movement) will have to be made.

If I'm a team with cap space, I'd put some feelers out there with some lowball initial offers. Then I'd just wait until reality hits home and the mad scramble begins.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Does Ottawa have a high end goalie prospect? If not it seems like Demko would be a guy who could be a valuable addition.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
LE is AHL level of bad. Its why Nucks fans are considering Alzner’ing him!

Sens at least get 0.5ppg production from Ryan when healthy!
Louie is not ahl bad and the coach plays him because hes an nhl caliber player and if you dont realise this then I'm not gonna waste time trying to convince someone whose already made up their minds on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad