Value of: Loui Eriksson to Ottawa

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Does Ottawa have a high end goalie prospect? If not it seems like Demko would be a guy who could be a valuable addition.
Yes.

They don’t have a guy in the same situation as Demko right now, but they have multiple guys in their system who are where Demko was at 19, 20, 21, 22...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yes.

They don’t have a guy in the same situation as Demko right now, but they have multiple guys in their system who are where Demko was at 19, 20, 21, 22...
6 goalies to be exact....Yeah Demko is for sure ahead of them all,but we really need to start looking at what we have,before we just commit to trading for one

Reactions: Altimus

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
6 goalies to be exact....Yeah Demko is for sure ahead of them all,but we really need to start looking at what we have,before we just commit to trading for one
In fairness its a pretty small commitment for a non cap team. Eriksson's actual salary is 2.5 mil per for two more and the 6 mil cap hit would actually help you get to the cap floor. Melnyk may see this a way to save a few million dollars.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Does Ottawa have a high end goalie prospect? If not it seems like Demko would be a guy who could be a valuable addition.
They have a bunch of goalie prospects, but none who have Demko's pedigree, or are ready to be a starter. Demko is well ahead of any goalies in the Sens system.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
These dump Loui trades are crazy. We will not get out from under his deal, that has 2 years left, without giving up one of Demko, Podkolzin, Hoglander, 2021 1st and adding. Every team will comfortably be at the cap floor----Ottawa has 10 players signed, and only need to add $20 mil to get tp the floor.

If we can move Sutter and Baertschi, we are good on cap next year with a few smaller moves, assuming Ferland is on LTIR (which is likely). The cost to move those 2 will be far less that LE, and open up more money. Move LE the following year when he has 1 year left.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Yes.

So you have a goalie prospect that was taken as the first goalie in his draft, who won best goalie rhe NCAA and who was an all star in the AHL? That's what Demko was doing at those ages. While i fully admit to being ignorant about Ottawa goalie prospects i think i would have heard of a prospect who was as highly regarded as Demko - who was consistenly on lists of the top 5 goalie prospects outside the NHL with guys like Carter Hart and the NY goalies.

Reactions: nergish

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Louie is not ahl bad and the coach plays him because hes an nhl caliber player and if you dont realise this then I'm not gonna waste time trying to convince someone whose already made up their minds on him
And why are the Sens taking him when the have a more productive capdump in Ryan?

why would LE, an nhl level forward, waive to go to Ottawa?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
And why are the Sens taking him when the have a more productive capdump in Ryan?

Because in the real world, money matters too.
To us fans, it's just a cap hit. But to owners, the cap hit is separate from the actual money owed.

And in Ottawa's case, team performance has never been a concern when cutting real money expenses.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
To us fans, it's just a cap hit. But to owners, the cap hit is separate from the actual money owed.

And in Ottawa's case, team performance has never been a concern when cutting real money expenses.

Performance always trumps real dollars.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not if the owner cares more about his wallet.

I think the owner understands that he breaks even or makes money when his team performs and fans are in the seats. Trading for LE is the opposite of that endeavor.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think the owner understands that he breaks even or makes money when his team performs and fans are in the seats. Trading for LE is the opposite of that endeavor.

Hi, welcome to 2020. No fans are in the seats.

Thank you.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They have a bunch of goalie prospects, but none who have Demko's pedigree, or are ready to be a starter. Demko is well ahead of any goalies in the Sens system.
Ahead in age, but Ottawa is in no rush.

Why spend money and assets on a goalie we don't need? Find another team to offload him on that is in a hurry.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ok well next year when you are about to lose one for nothing you will hear from the sens, assuming Hogberg doesnt continue to progress or one of the other goalies has made a big push.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
maybe im losing my mind but im pretty sure Ryan at 50% retained would net some positive value considering he is a 30-40 pt forward. At the very least 30 especially if he gets more offensive talent surrounding him. Im not saying a lot of positive value and im sure the flat cap makes it difficult but he could probably net a 5th to 7th.

So why is ottawa retaining, getting a significantly worse asset for no real benefit. Ottawa can just retain and find a more impactful dump for the same price if it is a situation of real dollars driving said deal. Add something to eriksson and it makes more sense otherwise...

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
maybe im losing my mind but im pretty sure Ryan at 50% retained would net some positive value considering he is a 30-40 pt forward. At the very least 30 especially if he gets more offensive talent surrounding him. Im not saying a lot of positive value and im sure the flat cap makes it difficult but he could probably net a 5th to 7th.

So why is ottawa retaining, getting a significantly worse asset for no real benefit. Ottawa can just retain and find a more impactful dump for the same price if it is a situation of real dollars driving said deal. Add something to eriksson and it makes more sense otherwise...
It’s the real dollars that eriksson is actually owed that would entice cap floor teams/ cheap owners... $2.5M x 2 yrs... helps get them to cap floor and money-out is fairly low. I don’t disagree that sens could get better “assets” but they would then still owe Ryan $7.25M x 2 yrs (vs saving themselves real dollars to take on eriksson for 2yrs). Would agree that Canucks would still have to add something worthwhile more than likely.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It’s the real dollars that eriksson is actually owed that would entice cap floor teams/ cheap owners... $2.5M x 2 yrs... helps get them to cap floor and money-out is fairly low. I don’t disagree that sens could get better “assets” but they would then still owe Ryan $7.25M x 2 yrs (vs saving themselves real dollars to take on eriksson for 2yrs). Would agree that Canucks would still have to add something worthwhile more than likely.

If they traded Ryan at 50% retained they would owe him 5.5M the next two years. If they trade for Eriksson they would owe him 5M the next two years. They can get something for Ryan at 50%. So unless something good comes with Eriksson there's no point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If they traded Ryan at 50% retained they would owe him 5.5M the next two years. If they trade for Eriksson they would owe him 5M the next two years. They can get something for Ryan at 50%. So unless something good comes with Eriksson there's no point.
Dumping these crappy toxic contracts (Loui and Ryan for example) will require HUGE sweetener or taking back an equally smelling contract. It’s basically just switching smelly garbage, but believing the new pile of stink will serve a useful purpose.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Dumping these crappy toxic contracts (Loui and Ryan for example) will require HUGE sweetener or taking back an equally smelling contract. It’s basically just switching smelly garbage, but believing the new pile of stink will serve a useful purpose.

At 50% retained Ryan with a caphit of just 3.6 is not a toxic contract and won't require a sweetener. He's roughly a 35 point player which is right in line with what he will make.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm hoping Ryan has a good bounce back (45 pts) now that he has dealt with his substance abuse.

No point in trading him for a guy who looks ready to retire.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

I'd love to hear which real money expenses Ottawa cut in favour of saving money that impacted the on-ice performance.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Ok well next year when you are about to lose one for nothing you will hear from the sens, assuming Hogberg doesnt continue to progress or one of the other goalies has made a big push.

Why are we losing one for nothing? We will only have 1 of Markstrom /Demko at the ED- Eitheer Markstrom is re signed, or Dekmo is dealt before the draft. Not a chance that we lose one to Seattlle, especially when you look at the list of guys we will have exposed.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Ahead in age, but Ottawa is in no rush.

Why spend money and assets on a goalie we don't need? Find another team to offload him on that is in a hurry.[/QUOTE

Ottawa does not have anyone in the same breath as Demko at any level of his development. He was regarded as a top3-5 prospect from when he was drafted to when he graduated to the Canucks, and is still on that path. Sens don't have anyone even remotely close to the top 10. Having a bunch of lottery tickets is not the same thing as having an 24 YO NHL ready goalie with high end starting potential.

If the Sens don't want him, cool, many other teams will.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why are we losing one for nothing? We will only have 1 of Markstrom /Demko at the ED- Eitheer Markstrom is re signed, or Dekmo is dealt before the draft. Not a chance that we lose one to Seattlle, especially when you look at the list of guys we will have exposed.
Either way they will be more vulnarable next year than now and the price is going to go down due to expansion. There is absolutely no point in Ottawa making a move for a goaltender now.

If I am the Canucks I probalby look to move one of them now, but with all the potential free agents and goalies available the market is already soft and will only get softer.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Either way they will be more vulnarable next year than now and the price is going to go down due to expansion. There is absolutely no point in Ottawa making a move for a goaltender now.

If I am the Canucks I probalby look to move one of them now, but with all the potential free agents and goalies available the market is already soft and will only get softer.
Rolling through next year with both is the way to go, assuming they sign Markstrom. Having two legit goalies at the Canucks stage of development is critical, especially if one gets hurt. With average goaltending, the Canucks are a bottom third of the league team. I'd be shocked if Markstrom isn't re signed, and Demko gets dealt this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad