Value of: Loui Eriksson to Ottawa

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rolling through next year with both is the way to go, assuming they sign Markstrom. Having two legit goalies at the Canucks stage of development is critical, especially if one gets hurt. With average goaltending, the Canucks are a bottom third of the league team. I'd be shocked if Markstrom isn't re signed, and Demko gets dealt this season.
I think they should sign Markstrom hold on to both for this season too. I dont think they are a bottom third team without both of them though. Not giving your team enough credit! I dont think there is an argument to be made that the goalie market wont soften up when teams can only protect one next year either. Which basically brings me back to my original point, there is no reason for Ottawa to make a move for a goalie at this junction either. Especially with all the cost controlled assets they will have next season that wont be at risk of being lost in expansion.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The Canuks should just keep him. There are worse things to lose in expansion than a goalie that is only worth a 2nd round pick.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think they should sign Markstrom hold on to both for this season too. I dont think they are a bottom third team without both of them though. Not giving your team enough credit! I dont think there is an argument to be made that the goalie market wont soften up when teams can only protect one next year either. Which basically brings me back to my original point, there is no reason for Ottawa to make a move for a goalie at this junction either. Especially with all the cost controlled assets they will have next season that wont be at risk of being lost in expansion.
Fair points. My comment regarding the bottom third are if we only keep one of our goalies and they get hurt. Louie Domingue (or similar)is our guy then. If that’s the case—-bottom third.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It’s the real dollars that eriksson is actually owed that would entice cap floor teams/ cheap owners... $2.5M x 2 yrs... helps get them to cap floor and money-out is fairly low. I don’t disagree that sens could get better “assets” but they would then still owe Ryan $7.25M x 2 yrs (vs saving themselves real dollars to take on eriksson for 2yrs). Would agree that Canucks would still have to add something worthwhile more than likely.

Thats all im getting at. Im not going to say ryan is amazing but even currently at the said cap hits he is better than loui. Plus with their current ages there is a higher chance of loui declining more.

I completely agree ottawa would need to retain on ryan in order to trade him. All im saying is that Ryan at 50% would at the very least have bjustad type value (aka a late conditional pick). Which is still positive value. Now if ottawa is to take on eriksson thats a huge negative. So ottawa would want a pretty big addition to this deal for the trade to make sense from an ottawa pov

Im not saying the basis of the trade is bad, im saying a 1 for 1 deal really does not make any sense at all and thats factoring in melnyk. Because if anything melnyk would prefer us to retain 50% on ryan and trade him for a conditional pick lol

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad