Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
So instead of doing your usual of just picking posts apart, offer an alternative. I don't think it's that big of an exaggeration. Florida sent a player recently drafted 11th overall with Bolland to move him, and they knew Bolland wouldn't play.

What do you think they'd have to add...because it's tiring to read you continually calling out opinions and offering no substance of your own.

Okay. Don't say things you know probably don't make sense in order to support a narrative. Also, you're deliberately failing to mention that Bolland's contract wasn't frontloaded like Loui's and that Florida also got 2nd and 3rd round picks in exchange. Posts like yours are why I tend pick stuff apart -- you're lying through omission to advance a narrative, and it's annoying.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Okay. Don't say things you know probably don't make sense in order to support a narrative. Also, you're deliberately failing to mention that Bolland's contract wasn't frontloaded like Loui's and that Florida also got 2nd and 3rd round picks in exchange. Posts like yours is why I tend pick stuff apart -- you're lying to advance a narrative, and it's annoying.
WTF am I lying about. I didn't lie. No alternative? Just talking again? Classic.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
WTF am I lying about. I didn't lie. No alternative? Just talking again? Classic.
You're lying about the terms of Bolland's trade. Either that or you weren't aware that there were two picks coming back to Florida. You're welcome to tell us which is the case if you like.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Bolland is injured with an insured contract, so the Coyotes pay very little cash to him (about $1M a year if memory serves). Eriksson on the other hand is owed $9M (assuming he's traded after his signing bonus is paid) and will need a roster spot devoted to him, so I can certainly see the argument that he's far more unpalatable than Bolland.

Reactions: pomorick and timw33

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
whatever ends up happening btw now and training camp notwithstanding, if he’s still here in october can we send him to kalamazoo instead of utica? don’t want moneybags around anyone with an even passable shot at a future.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
at training camp next year, he'll have already received $4 million (signing bonus) of the $5 million owed to him for the 19/20 season. I can't help but wonder what he'd do if he was waived and sent to Utica. At that point he'd have earned 27 million of the 36 million contract...or at least he'd have received that money, even if he didn't earn it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just retired. If not this summer, summer after for sure.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
at training camp next year, he'll have already received $4 million (signing bonus) of the $5 million owed to him for the 19/20 season. I can't help but wonder what he'd do if he was waived and sent to Utica. At that point he'd have earned 27 million of the 36 million contract...or at least he'd have received that money, even if he didn't earn it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just retired. If not this summer, summer after for sure.
Canucks and Loui need to have a serious talk after the season. Layout all of the options for him.

Try their best to trade him but let him know that they won’t surrender good assets to move him onto another nhl team. Are willing to retain 50% or take back a contract.

Let him know that AHL is a definite possibility. So if he needs to register his kids for school somewhere other than Vancouver he needs to factor that in for his summer to do list.

Buyout is not an option. What is the point of eating $5.55 mill in dead cap over these next 2 seasons when burying him in the ahl costs them $500k less? Only in year 3 would they get any savings of $2.5 mill.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Teams taking on junk contracts without a sweetener basically doesn't exist anymore.

I wonder if the NHL would mind if the Canucks kept trading Eriksson back and forth with another team every offseason:

1) Keep him with the Canucks until July 2nd so they can pay his signing bonus
2) Trade him somewhere for the season; that team pays him $1M salary with a $6M cap hit
3) Reacquire him at the draft and keep him long enough to pay him his next signing bonus

Rinse and repeat. The Canucks cover almost all his salary while the other team (or teams) gets him for basically league minimum.

Pretty sad that we need to come up with ridiculous scenarios to get rid of a player less than 3 years into his 6 year contract, during which he has provided 69 points for $18M so far.

I've thought about that in that past as well. It is a variant of an old scheme were a wealthy team exploits its wealth to get more out of other teams. ie We sign a player another team wants and do what you say or pay a massive signing bonus for them then flick them on.

I don't think it is banned but I also don't think the NHL would be too pleased either and would probably put in a block pretty quickly. The easiest way would be to prevent players from being traded until the signing bonus money for that year was used up. IE a player with a $3m signing bonus and a $3m salary couldn't be traded until after game 42, before game 42 all the money is signing bonus and after game 42 the salary kicks in and the player becomes tradable.

I can see the NHL modifying the rules at some point regarding signing bonuses in the next CBA, obviously signing bonuses are going to get nerfed in terms of total amount able to be paid and may become reduced by buyouts.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Retire and be asked to give back the signing bonus ala Shipachyov, that'll end up in the hands of the league. Just ride out the year in the AHL. Better yet get Benning to loan you to a Swedish club for the last 3 years - he did it for Gagner when he wanted to go to the Marlies rather than Utica.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
More and more smoke here. The media is really talking about about Eriksson and his lack of performance finally. Some are saying they don't see how he will be back next year. Paterson and Kuzma suggested on 1040 today.

Great to see this being a topic the Canucks cant ignore anymore.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Canucks and Loui need to have a serious talk after the season. Layout all of the options for him.

Try their best to trade him but let him know that they won’t surrender good assets to move him onto another nhl team. Are willing to retain 50% or take back a contract.

Let him know that AHL is a definite possibility. So if he needs to register his kids for school somewhere other than Vancouver he needs to factor that in for his summer to do list.

Buyout is not an option. What is the point of eating $5.55 mill in dead cap over these next 2 seasons when burying him in the ahl costs them $500k less? Only in year 3 would they get any savings of $2.5 mill.
They plan to sit down with him, per SN 650 pre-game show last night

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006
Retire and be asked to give back the signing bonus ala Shipachyov, that'll end up in the hands of the league. Just ride out the year in the AHL. Better yet get Benning to loan you to a Swedish club for the last 3 years - he did it for Gagner when he wanted to go to the Marlies rather than Utica.
you'd think that the canucks would be ecstatic if he retired and would happily eat the signing bonus to get out from under the cap hit and remaining $9mm of cash owed. Gagner situation is completely different, i cannot see the canucks eating the cap hit to see Loui playing in Europe. IMO, they should put him in an uncomfortable situation (Utica) and force his hand. He certainly hasn't earned anything more.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
you'd think that the canucks would be ecstatic if he retired and would happily eat the signing bonus to get out from under the cap hit and remaining $9mm of cash owed. Gagner situation is completely different, i cannot see the canucks eating the cap hit to see Loui playing in Europe. IMO, they should put him in an uncomfortable situation (Utica) and force his hand. He certainly hasn't earned anything more.

We all know about the recapture penalty for contracts signed before the current CBA for the 12-13 shortened season (ala Lu, Hossa, Weber, etc.). Is there anything in the current CBA regarding front loading contracts and the player not fulfilling the end of it? If the Canucks do pay his SB and he balks at going to Utica, they will have paid him $27 million but taken only $18 million cap hit. So, what happens to that $9 million?

Berglund had a cap hit of $3.85 million on a contract that started last season in 17-18 which paid him $4.7 mill last year. This year he was set to make $4.7 million in salary. Cap friendly doesn't list him anywhere on Buffalo's team page for their cap hit. But, he made an extra $850K last season and was due a prorated amount above his cap hit this season.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Isn't this all just a bit too theatrical?

What's so special right about right for this to happen?

Maybe #firebenning?

lol

No way....

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We all know about the recapture penalty for contracts signed before the current CBA for the 12-13 shortened season (ala Lu, Hossa, Weber, etc.). Is there anything in the current CBA regarding front loading contracts and the player not fulfilling the end of it? If the Canucks do pay his SB and he balks at going to Utica, they will have paid him $27 million but taken only $18 million cap hit. So, what happens to that $9 million?

Berglund had a cap hit of $3.85 million on a contract that started last season in 17-18 which paid him $4.7 mill last year. This year he was set to make $4.7 million in salary. Cap friendly doesn't list him anywhere on Buffalo's team page for their cap hit. But, he made an extra $850K last season and was due a prorated amount above his cap hit this season.

6 years is exempt from recapture. I think it only applies to 7 or longer.

Why the NHL made the arbitrary and IMHO stupid decision to limit recapture to only 7+ year contracts rather than all contracts as it should have. Dodging a few million in cap hit is still is dodging a few million whether it is long or shot. How is a 6 year deal substantially different than a 7?

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
6 years is exempt from recapture.

The NHL made the stupid decision (IMHO) to limit recapture to longer contracts only rather than all contracts as it should have. Dodging a few million in cap hit is still is dodging a few million whether it is long or shot.
I know the current CBA said for any deals signed prior to the current CBA that are greater than 6 years are subject to recapture. which is why when Mikka Kipprusoff retired before the final year of his 6 year deal when he was set to make $1 million, the Flames took no cap hit for that.

But, this is a deal signed under the current CBA. Current CBA did an 8 year contract limit and was tighter of the difference between yearly compensation and cap hit. No more $6 million cap and $1 million in compensation for the year. You had to be within like 35% of the cap on your yearly compensation. Which his why Loui can't be paid less than $4 million per year.

I agree that the NHL dropped the ball again on this part. Be like the NFL where all money paid to a player has to hit the salary cap at some point in time.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
you'd think that the canucks would be ecstatic if he retired and would happily eat the signing bonus to get out from under the cap hit and remaining $9mm of cash owed.

If the Canucks and Loui discuss taking his signing bonus with no intention of ever playing *wink wink* and then retiring in order to get evade his cap hit that flies pretty close to violating cap evasion rules. If they are smart and run it past the NHL first, and the NHL approves then no problems, if the NHL does not then they need to find another way. If they don't run it past the NHL and the NHL classifies it as cap evasion, well who needed a 1st round pick in 2020 pick anyway.

Gagner situation is completely different, i cannot see the canucks eating the cap hit to see Loui playing in Europe. IMO, they should put him in an uncomfortable situation (Utica) and force his hand. He certainly hasn't earned anything more.

As Benning's fans made a big point of defending Benning when sending down Gagner - it pays to be nice to UFAs if you want to attract more. Any decent UFA will take a look at this and be asking for NMC because you can't trust Benning.

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006
If the Canucks and Loui discuss taking his signing bonus with no intention of ever playing *wink wink* and then retiring in order to get evade his cap hit that flies pretty close to violating cap evasion rules. If they are smart and run it past the NHL first, and the NHL approves then no problems, if the NHL does not then they need to find another way. If they don't run it past the NHL and the NHL classifies it as cap evasion, well who needed a 1st round pick in 2020 pick anyway.

As Benning's fans made a big point of defending Benning when sending down Gagner - it pays to be nice to UFAs if you want to attract more. Any decent UFA will take a look at this and be asking for NMC because you can't trust Benning.
I wasn't suggesting they talk to Louie (or the league) about this, just that they put him in a position where retirement may be preferable to playing a year in Utica (this guy has earned more than $50mm usd over his career...he may be willing to leave some on the table).... waivers in tc, see what he wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad