Player Discussion Loui Eriksson Part IV: EriksSonata - A CambieKev Presentation [VIDEO]

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The contract was insane, I'll agree. Funny how nobody here mentions the Sedins...

Why mention the Sedins?

Henrik had 228 points in 320 games.
Daniel had 236 points in 327 games.

After signing their last deal. Not to mention the twins impact with the team off and on the ice. Always the hardest workers, first in physical testing etc. Not like Mr. Floater, last on for practice, first off etc.

Loui has 90 points in 252 games (and counting, but really is he going to get back into the lineup and do anything?) He'll be lucky to get to 100 points over his 6 year deal. Loui doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Sedins.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The contract was insane, I'll agree. Funny how nobody here mentions the Sedins...
What the Hell? The Sedins?

The guys that gave 100p to the end and actually were still decent top6 players if they didn't have to try and carry a crap team.

Loui is the antithesis of the Sedins........dropped from the Sedins, dropped from the 2nd line, dropped from the 3rd, dropped from the 4th. Last to show first to leave no hits no effort no pushback no tenacity no interviews no accountability. This guy must be the greatest human alive to somehow skate through this contract and not have to get blasted from the fans and media.

It honestly only makes sense in that they are trying their best to be respectful so he will just walk away because if it was me i would have had a meeting with him at the end of last year and asked him what his intentions are. If he said to contribute in any way he can for another year and then retire i would do what they have but if not i would have told him to report to Utica and enjoy 2 yrs of riding buses with kids half your age. Sorry it didn't work out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Eriksson had spent the 3 seasons prior to 15-16 as an underachieving 40-point type who Boston was trying to unload as a cap dump.

Then he had a fluke 30-goal season propped up by elite linemates and an unsustainable shooting %, and Benning fell for his hockey card stats hook, line, and sinker.

You keep ignoring the fact that he suffered two concussions over a 5 week span in his first season as a Bruin - first by John Scott and then by Brooks Orpik. He started off that season scoreless in 3 and then 2 goals and 3 points in the next 4 games then he got concussed. Returned and put up 3 goals 11 points in the next 15 games then got concussed again. So he had 5 goals 14 points in 22 games which is an 18+ goal 52+ point pace. Krejci led the team with 19 goals and 69 points that year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You keep ignoring the fact that he suffered two concussions over a 5 week span in his first season as a Bruin - first by John Scott and then by Brooks Orpik. He started off that season scoreless in 3 and then 2 goals and 3 points in the next 4 games then he got concussed. Returned and put up 3 goals 11 points in the next 15 games then got concussed again. So he had 5 goals 14 points in 22 games which is an 18+ goal 52+ point pace. Krejci led the team with 19 goals and 69 points that year.

A concussion history makes things worse, not better.

He had a 3 year stretch where he was mostly poor and Boston was desperately trying to dump him in the 2015 offseason.

Reactions: orcatown

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is this finally the summer that Eriksson mercifully gets bought out? Every year his contract is on the books is a black mark on management. You'd think they'd do something so people will just stop talking about it.

Reactions: David71

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What the Hell? The Sedins?

The guys that gave 100p to the end and actually were still decent top6 players if they didn't have to try and carry a crap team.

Loui is the antithesis of the Sedins........dropped from the Sedins, dropped from the 2nd line, dropped from the 3rd, dropped from the 4th. Last to show first to leave no hits no effort no pushback no tenacity no interviews no accountability. This guy must be the greatest human alive to somehow skate through this contract and not have to get blasted from the fans and media.

It honestly only makes sense in that they are trying their best to be respectful so he will just walk away because if it was me i would have had a meeting with him at the end of last year and asked him what his intentions are. If he said to contribute in any way he can for another year and then retire i would do what they have but if not i would have told him to report to Utica and enjoy 2 yrs of riding buses with kids half your age. Sorry it didn't work out.

My point is that his chemistry with the Sedins on Team Sweden played a part in his appeal to the Canucks. A total gamble that we lost big time...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
My point is that his chemistry with the Sedins on Team Sweden played a part in his appeal to the Canucks. A total gamble that we lost big time...
ah ok my bad.

Sedins were turning 36 when this got going how dumb was it too think 3 old guys would have great chemistry when they really needed a 26yr old Burrows type to help do leg work.

The sad part is Loui is 5yrs younger and looked 5yrs older in short order.

Reactions: rypper

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A concussion history makes things worse, not better.

He had a 3 year stretch where he was mostly poor and Boston was desperately trying to dump him in the 2015 offseason.

Umm... he suffered two concussions which clearly impacted his play in Boston. But he was Boston's second leading point producer in his second season. 2015 offseason was when they had the GM change and a lot of players were "dumped" that offseason including Dougie Hamilton.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Sedins went out as top 6 forwards Eriksson needed to be fired years ago.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Just retire already.....have some pride

36 million for 38 goals probably 10 into empty nets and one into ours.

You've made over 55 million. Do a solid for the team that has gotten nothing but pathetic results for 5 yrs

I honestly wouldn't say this if he tried. It's not his fault they were dumb enough to let him sign a buyout proof deal but you got guys like Motte and Beagle blocking shots and hitting everything that moves and then you have this clown trying as bad as he can to not break a finger nail. Just go away it's embarrassing

I like your posts.... just not this one. Would you walk away from 6M to literally not do anything ? I mean nothing.... not even play. I would show up to the press box every night and literally put my balls on the table and eat nachos and smile from ear to ear.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The biggest loser from the Demko deal is loui. Most likely he's bought out now in the offseason

They don't save much compared to simply burying his contract in the minors. Better to buy out Holtby.

I like your posts.... just not this one. Would you walk away from 6M to literally not do anything ? I mean nothing.... not even play. I would show up to the press box every night and literally put my balls on the table and eat nachos and smile from ear to ear.

He won't be walking away from $6M though. If he retires after getting his signing bonus he'll be walking away from $3M. There's also escrow and taxes. Canucks can give him a scouting or player development position next season. Or maybe he can return to Sweden and continue his hockey career? Many Swedish hockey players dream of going back to Sweden to play before they are done although I haven't Eriksson being interested in that.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I wouldn't walk away from the 3M if I were him. Last time he'll ever get that paycheque in his life, and any pride he once had has been gone for a very long time.

He might easily accept LTIR if he eats a bad hit at some point though.

Reactions: Dab

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

That image of yours is a little disturbing:)

Ok, like FAN said, it would not be 6 million he is walking from. After July 15, it is 3 million, Gross. So with taxes, call it 1.5. With escrow, etc., how about approx 1 - 1.2?

Would he be close to making that much net in Sweden and enjoying his last year or two of hockey actually playing? I am not sure placing my balls in the table in the press box would be worth the spread between the two.

Does he love Vancouver with his family or is he a Sweden is home guy? Because, after making the money he has made in his career, if it meant walking away from a couple of hundred k to live where I want to live and actually play hockey, I would go home rather than play in Utica.

Certainly not sure it is a slam dunk decision, anyway.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn't walk away from the 3M if I were him. Last time he'll ever get that paycheque in his life, and any pride he once had has been gone for a very long time.

He might easily accept LTIR if he eats a bad hit at some point though.
Yup it’s clearly not about pride this guy will sap every last dollar he can from this franchise . I also think he wants to hit 1000 games.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Believe Eriksson has been totally cynical about the whole matter.

Played hard in his last year in Boston to get a new contract. Prior to that, he was poor and Boston fans use to unload on him all the time talking about what a huge mistake it was trading Seguin for a washed up Eriksson. But Eriksson showed up that last year, at least on the scoresheet , and put himself in position for a new contract. However, given his injury history and up and down play in Boston, there was little chance on anyone giving him much term. He needed to find, or his agent needed to find, someone who had fallen off the back of a potato truck and luckily they did. And not only did he get the term but he also got big money.

Once he got to Vancouver he went back to playing like he did in his non contract years. Get to practices late , leave early. Also never put your body on the line. Like how many times has he driven the net? I don't remember a time. Sometimes he'll poke away with his stick but he never tries to get inside position. Also, never put yourself in a position to get hit. Instead, just move the puck to a safe area before you get anyone on you. (and call it puck management) And how often has Eriksson blocked a shot? Maybe by accident sometimes. Really how many times have we seen Eriksson play hard?

Over and over again, Eriksson has illustrated that he's here to pick up the money and to make sure he retires in good health. Everything demonstrates that is his priority. If the team does well fine, if not then how's it hurting him?

If Benning had any snot or ability to fess up to this colossal mistake, he would have had Eriksson down to the minors a long time ago. Letting him lounge around the press box in $3000 suits is one of the biggest travesties in Canuck history.

Reactions: moog35 and timw33

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
That image of yours is a little disturbing:)

Ok, like FAN said, it would not be 6 million he is walking from. After July 15, it is 3 million, Gross. So with taxes, call it 1.5. With escrow, etc., how about approx 1 - 1.2?

Would he be close to making that much net in Sweden and enjoying his last year or two of hockey actually playing? I am not sure placing my balls in the table in the press box would be worth the spread between the two.

Does he love Vancouver with his family or is he a Sweden is home guy? Because, after making the money he has made in his career, if it meant walking away from a couple of hundred k to live where I want to live and actually play hockey, I would go home rather than play in Utica.

Certainly not sure it is a slam dunk decision, anyway.
Eriksson was looking to turn his contract from the Canucks into a retirement nest egg. He invested heavily in restaurants in Europe before the pandemic that struggled due to liquor licencing problems and business partner issues. All that was before COVID which has not been fine dining friendly.

I have no clue what his financial situation is now but judging from a couple of years ago, I certainly wouldn't expect him to toss away any money. A million is still a million and generally the last million is probably the most valuable million to an aging player.

Reactions: Dab

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Believe Eriksson has been totally cynical about the whole matter.

Played hard in his last year in Boston to get a new contract. Prior to that, he was poor and Boston fans use to unload on him all the time talking about what a huge mistake it was trading Seguin for a washed up Eriksson. But Eriksson showed up that last year, at least on the scoresheet , and put himself in position for a new contract. However, given his injury history and up and down play in Boston, there was little chance on anyone giving him much term. He needed to find, or his agent needed to find, someone who had fallen off the back of a potato truck and luckily they did. And not only did he get the term but he also got big money.

Once he got to Vancouver he went back to playing like he did in his non contract years. Get to practices late , leave early. Also never put your body on the line. Like how many times has he driven the net? I don't remember a time. Sometimes he'll poke away with his stick but he never tries to get inside position. Also, never put yourself in a position to get hit. Instead, just move the puck to a safe area before you get anyone on you. (and call it puck management) And how often has Eriksson blocked a shot? Maybe by accident sometimes. Really how many times have we seen Eriksson play hard?

Over and over again, Eriksson has illustrated that he's here to pick up the money and to make sure he retires in good health. Everything demonstrates that is his priority. If the team does well fine, if not then how's it hurting him?

If Benning had any snot or ability to fess up to this colossal mistake, he would have had Eriksson down to the minors a long time ago. Letting him lounge around the press box in $3000 suits is one of the biggest travesties in Canuck history.

2018-19 Loui Eriksson produced one of the softest most embarrassing seasons in NHL history. He finished with 3 hits in 81 games.

Alright, any hockey player who plays 81 games in a season no matter what league it is should get a minimum of 3 registered hits just by bumping in to people unintentionally during play, so essentially, Loui Eriksson didn't willingly lay a single body check in 81 games that year.

Jokes on us though, we still call upon King Loui at least once a month to try and help us win a game, that is how out of touch and mismanaged this organization is.

Reactions: moog35 and Dab

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

This. I often marvel at the number of millionaire communists that seem to inhabit this site. Yeah I'm a gonna throw away millions of dollars that I have bargained for in good faith just to do a solid for a franchise that refuses to even play me any more and that has a fan base that completely detests me and blames pretty much every problem the team has on me. Also the video interpreting skills here are amazing; people can simple watch Loui and tell us how hard he is trying. Clearly he is a bad person and should be punished. Me I only notice that we seem to play just a bit better when he's in the lineup over rising stars as we have been cycling through the bottom 6 to no avail. I hate the contract but Loui can play in my bottom 6 anytime...

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
This. I often marvel at the number of millionaire communists that seem to inhabit this site. Yeah I'm a gonna throw away millions of dollars that I have bargained for in good faith just to do a solid for a franchise that refuses to even play me any more and that has a fan base that completely detests me and blames pretty much every problem the team has on me. Also the video interpreting skills here are amazing; people can simple watch Loui and tell us how hard he is trying. Clearly he is a bad person and should be punished. Me I only notice that we seem to play just a bit better when he's in the lineup over rising stars as we have been cycling through the bottom 6 to no avail. I hate the contract but Loui can play in my bottom 6 anytime...

Loui can play in your bottom 6 anytime? Jimbo!?!?!?

He's made 50 million throughout his career, why not hang around covid infested Vancouver, surrounded by a fanbase that hates you for another 3 mil eh?

You read my comment about Loui putting fourth the softest season in NHL history. Those 3 hits in 81 games can play in your bottom 6 anytime? Your team would suck just like this one does

Reactions: moog35

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
2018-19 Loui Eriksson produced one of the softest most embarrassing seasons in NHL history. He finished with 3 hits in 81 games.

Had to look into this as this. Gaudreau last year had 1 hit in 70 games. His hits/60 is a record I think. Tyler Arnason had 2 hits in 82 games in 06-07.

Hits stats are notoriously inaccurate though and not really a measure of toughness. Petey had more hits than Bo last season.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Had to look into this as this. Gaudreau last year had 1 hit in 70 games. His hits/60 is a record I think. Tyler Arnason had 2 hits in 82 games in 06-07.

Hits stats are notoriously inaccurate though and not really a measure of toughness. Petey had more hits than Bo last season.

Who's stats are notoriously inaccurate? How can anybody's stats be inaccurate let alone "notoriously" inaccurate?

Nobody should be surprised that Petey had more hits than Bo. Petey plays with much more Bite than Bo.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Who's stats are notoriously inaccurate? How can anybody's stats be inaccurate let alone "notoriously" inaccurate?

Nobody should be surprised that Petey had more hits than Bo. Petey plays with much more Bite than Bo.

Hits as a stat are notoriously inaccurate. This isn't new or a big secret. Some rinks are a lot more liberal with counting hits then others.

If Cal Clutterbuck even looked at an opposing player funny, they'd give him a hit in Minnesota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad