Player Discussion Loui Eriksson Part IV: EriksSonata - A CambieKev Presentation [VIDEO]

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Loui Eriksson has been the basis of much of the frustration of this fanbase since 2016. His contract has handcuffed the organization, and his performance has hardly justified his salary. Outrage and mockery have rained down upon him.

From the player's perspective, there is a certain saddening notion of helplessness at the embarrassing deterioration of his own personal standards.

My latest creative project, titled EriksSonata, is an effort to bottle his strife into a six-minute presentation.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
As discussed on Rink Wide, Loui is 30 games away from 1000 in his NHL career. He'll surely crest that mark this season and will be presented with a silver stick. What a milestone for a legendary Canuck!

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Is it just me? Or do other people also hate it when you have to listen to an audiocast or watch a video just to get the info?

I tend to ignore posts that can't at least provide a summary of the audio/video clip.

Sorry, but I'm 50. I prefer to read. Text loads faster than audio or video.

Oh yeah, Loui sucks and should be sent to the minors to help the Canucks out with their Benning-inflicted cap issues.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Is it just me? Or do other people also hate it when you have to listen to an audiocast or watch a video just to get the info?

I tend to ignore posts that can't at least provide a summary of the audio/video clip.

Sorry, but I'm 50. I prefer to read. Text loads faster than audio or video.

Oh yeah, Loui sucks and should be sent to the minors to help the Canucks out with their Benning-inflicted cap issues.
You are not alone in hating when you have to go digging in a video to get info. If I don’t see it in text, I don’t bother.

Usually.

This time I took the bait. The issue is escrow. If Loui is in the ahl, he is not having his salary escrowed, since the ahl is not part of that. That seems to mean that Frankie Boy Aquilini would be stuck paying Loui all of that 6 mill if he was in the minors, but “only” 4.32 million because of what I understand to be 28% in escrow and escrow related gobbledeegook. Sooooooooooo frankie gonna want Loui in the nhl, and let’s be real- so will green.

Anyway, there ya go.

Reactions: bh53

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
You are not alone in hating when you have to go digging in a video to get info. If I don’t see it in text, I don’t bother.

Usually.

This time I took the bait. The issue is escrow. If Loui is in the ahl, he is not having his salary escrowed, since the ahl is not part of that. That seems to mean that Frankie Boy Aquilini would be stuck paying Loui all of that 6 mill if he was in the minors, but “only” 4.32 million because of what I understand to be 28% in escrow and escrow related gobbledeegook. Sooooooooooo frankie gonna want Loui in the nhl, and let’s be real- so will green.

Anyway, there ya go.

Covid giveth, and Covid taketh away.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
If they sent Loui to Utica they'd be paying his full salary plus the salary of whoever replaced him. So say for example it was Kole Lind, the owners would be on the hook for approx. 6,641,666 in salary, instead of just Loui's salary minus escrow.

Regardless of money, I fully expect Loui to be a regular in the lineup if not a regular in the top six.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Loui is not owed $6m this year. My understanding is that the bonus has been paid and his salary to which escrow applies is $1m. So they pay him $1m in the minors and $1m minus escrow one the nhl. Not a huge difference but still a difference. Could be wrong though.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Loui is not owed $6m this year. My understanding is that the bonus has been paid and his salary to which escrow applies is $1m. So they pay him $1m in the minors and $1m minus escrow one the nhl. Not a huge difference but still a difference. Could be wrong though.

I think you're right. I completely blanked on the signing bonus structuring of his deal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Loui should write a 'thank you note' to his agent every night. Might throw a few in for Benning as well.

Believe it is the worst contract in Canuck history (although Sundin's rivals it)
Didn’t Sundin retire with still one year at 10 million left? He didn’t want to embarrass himself anymore. Loui has no legacy to ruin, I guess.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Didn’t Sundin retire with still one year at 10 million left? He didn’t want to embarrass himself anymore. Loui has no legacy to ruin, I guess.
Sundin turned down a 2 year deal in favour of a one year pro rated deal. The two year deal would have almost certainly cost the team the Sedins.

Erikssons contract was always a strange fit in terms of team timeline (it was an attempt to give the Sedins one last shot), but the contract was okay compared to other big name ufas (most expected solid value for at least 3 years followed by him remaining a contributor due to his defensive reputation).

Erikssons play just immediately fell off, and it was one of the worst Ufa contracts in history in hindsight ( I don't think it's actually any worst than the other big Ufa contracts from that summer, even with hindsight).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sundin turned down a 2 year deal in favour of a one year pro rated deal. The two year deal would have almost certainly cost the team the Sedins.

Erikssons contract was always a strange fit in terms of team timeline (it was an attempt to give the Sedins one last shot), but the contract was okay compared to other big name ufas (most expected solid value for at least 3 years followed by him remaining a contributor due to his defensive reputation).

Erikssons play just immediately fell off, and it was one of the worst Ufa contracts in history in hindsight ( I don't think it's actually any worst than the other big Ufa contracts from that summer, even with hindsight).
Other GM’s jump off a bridge with terrible signings, so that excuses Benning? Loui was a terrible signing. Benning should have known the core was old, stale, and needed to be rebuilt. Gillis and Torts said this publicly years before. We, as fans with limited hockey knowledge, could see this. Yet, Benning still chose to jump off the cliff.
Too bad Loui didn’t care about his legacy like Sundin did, and retire. His name is mud now, and always will be.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

So right now what should we do? Sit his lazy bum on the bench and let him rot? I'd be down with that.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Erikssons will be buried because the team needs to bury him to make a cap compliant roster. They'll likely trade with retention or buy him out next summer.

I have no doubt that there was a conversation between ownership and Benning about the approach to this summer, and that the plan was not to pay assets to move bad contracts unless the cost was negligible, and not to commit to long-term contracts for declining assets. The plan this summer seems to have been "take your medicine rather than paying inflated prices to move bad contracts".

OEL was a bit of a special situation because it was a top tier asset that could have been acquired at a discount while simultaneously dumping bad contracts.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Usually.

Anyway, there ya go.
Cap space doesn't matter!

They'll likely trade with retention
Who is going to want a has been 4th line winger who while he can check, has nonexistant offensive ability right now; 35+ years old. And likely will get even worse given his age.

Blame Gillis!

Reactions: I am toxic

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Only because Jethro's prime target Lucic turned the Canucks down.:laugh:

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
As discussed on Rink Wide, Loui is 30 games away from 1000 in his NHL career. He'll surely crest that mark this season and will be presented with a silver stick. What a milestone for a legendary Canuck!

I could see him playing less than 30 games over the next two seasons. Dump him in the minors and only bring him up when there’s some injuries. Saves everyone involved the embarrassment of a 1000 games played ‘ceremony’.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I’m not sure he embarrassed himself. He was an old guy who took way too much time off and took a while to get into shape and get going. He ended up with 7 points in 6 games Vs a blackhawks team that was about to start winning Stanleys.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’m not sure he embarrassed himself. He was an old guy who took way too much time off and took a while to get into shape and get going. He ended up with 7 points in 6 games Vs a blackhawks team that was about to start winning Stanleys.
Yeah, if anything he was just slow rounding into form that year. He was lagging behind the play in January but after that he was solid.

Take away that first month and he produced 33 points in his last 40 games.

A 68 point pace.

He was a massive addition for the team on and off the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->