Player Discussion Loui Eriksson Part IV: EriksSonata - A CambieKev Presentation [VIDEO]

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Cashed in on his 40 goal season (and he did hit 37 goals two seasons before that season). But yeah, his current deal is UGLY.
The summer before he signed that contract I told a friend of mine who is a huge Sabres fan that they have to re-sign Skinner. So, yeah, I remember his season and probably would have made a similar mistake if I were GM...ugly is right.

That team is a hot *

Good on Reinhart for chugging along.

Agreed on Reinhart

Reactions: Hit the post

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Terrible performance and did not come close to earning his contract...but he's anything but alone...

example: Jeff Skinner

View attachment 419225

View attachment 419224

To be fair, he signed that deal after a 40 goal 63 point season. But yeah it was a heck of a commitment to a player who generally averages around 50 points a season.

annnnnnnnd I just looked and Loui parlayed a 30 goal 63 point season into his current deal. Skinner deal makes slightly more sense because at least he was 27 instead of 31. bad contracts all around.

Reactions: iceburg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
To be fair, he signed that deal after a 40 goal 63 point season. But yeah it was a heck of a commitment to a player who generally averages around 50 points a season.

annnnnnnnd I just looked and Loui parlayed a 30 goal 63 point season into his current deal. Skinner deal makes slightly more sense because at least he was 27 instead of 31. bad contracts all around.
It just shows how risky those late 20s UFA contracts are....be interesting to go back for the last decade and do a probability analysis of working out...my guess is it's less than 50/50.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yep and it was an extension too so he was a proven fit. But ya the contract Skinner signed was huge! I'm not sure if he should be seen as a player who generally averages around 50 points a season as much as he's a guy who scored 30+ goals four out of his 9 NHL seasons. I think he'll bounce back though.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Any ideas of how this guy regressed so hard?

The contract was bad from day 1 but watching this guy gives NO indication he was ever a top talent in the league.

I kinda get after his concussion that he would play "soft" but where is the skill?

In all his time here I have never seen this guy make a nice play, pass, shot, etc. Tyler Motte has a better highlight reel than this guy as a Canuck.

Edit: Also, I understand he is making millions so he likely DNGAF but is it not kinda WEIRD to be in the dressing room with the guys knowing that they KNOW that you are trash and holding the team back? Imagine being some of the other younger guys looking at Eriksson thinking "how the hell does this idiot make 6m a year?". There HAS to be some animosity in the room when there are situations like Eriksson. He is worse than Lucic. At least Lucic is out there standing up for the boys and TRYING.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any ideas of how this guy regressed so hard?

The contract was bad from day 1 but watching this guy gives NO indication he was ever a top talent in the league.

I kinda get after his concussion that he would play "soft" but where is the skill?

In all his time here I have never seen this guy make a nice play, pass, shot, etc. Tyler Motte has a better highlight reel than this guy as a Canuck.

Edit: Also, I understand he is making millions so he likely DNGAF but is it not kinda WEIRD to be in the dressing room with the guys knowing that they KNOW that you are trash and holding the team back? Imagine being some of the other younger guys looking at Eriksson thinking "how the hell does this idiot make 6m a year?". There HAS to be some animosity in the room when there are situations like Eriksson. He is worse than Lucic. At least Lucic is out there standing up for the boys and TRYING.

He had been regressing hard for several years already with Dallas/Boston and then had an outlier year playing with elite players on Boston's top line/top PP unit. And then resumed his regression.

When you look at his ES scoring in his first couple years here, it really isn't much different that what he did 2012-2015.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
He had been regressing hard for several years already with Dallas/Boston and then had an outlier year playing with elite players on Boston's top line/top PP unit. And then resumed his regression.

When you look at his ES scoring in his first couple years here, it really isn't much different that what he did 2012-2015.

Yea. But how is it possible to be so invisible? He was a legit player in Dallas. Like I said previously, I understand how taking a big hit may change the way you play slightly, but how is it possible that he has never ONCE even made a nice pass? I have never even seen the guy take the puck into the o-zone with even an intention to make a creative play. Skill does not just vanish.

Remember Naslunds last year? He was invisible a lot but he still had many flashes of his great skill - a nice shot, pass or deke..... Eriksson cannot even shoot..?

Edit: It is as if he goes into every game intentionally not caring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad