New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hardly - even as one of Lou's absolute backers, it must be noted that there were clear weaknesses on this team, they were not addressed from the outside in any way while the opportunity was there, and now placing the onus on the present group of players to somehow figure out or solve those weaknesses from within has backfired.

This development must be added into any objective assessment one makes of Lou's work to date with the Isles.

No-one's calling for his head here.

Any supporter needs to be able to see this situation dryly.

MY TAKE AT THE TIME, since you ask:
I posted quite a bit heading up to the Trade Deadline.

Without losing valuable futures or bringing in guys "just for the sake of not being idle" (i.e. like Snow did with Davidson last spring), I thought Lou would have been able to add a guy with a poorer contract for whom we may not pay much of anything in trade currency, but would have been an attempt at directly addressing both issues (example: Kovalchuk).

Or he could have decided to part with certain players who he doesn't already plan with next season for currency to then pick up someone who could help more than said player (i.e. moving Eberle, then bringing in a Nyquist with the return).

Naturally, none of us can say we know what he was in on or what prices were bandied about.

We can judge by some other deals that a couple of fairly reasonable logical shots at attempting to address those needs were on the market and could have been deemed worth getting for the price they went for.

But I'M not the GM. I can only theorize.

But I and everyone else in Islanderville can see the following:
The GM has a construction site. Everyone can see what's missing on the construction site. No-one sees the GM bringing in a solution for dealing with what's missing on the construction site. The GM claims the solution will have to come from within. What's missing at the construction is not answered from within and leads to a worsening of the situation at the construction site.

Ipso facto, it's more than fair to place the construction site woes on the person responsible for the construction site.

Like duhhh... :naughty:
Like duhhh, is right. Like what duhhh hell is this nonsense?

LL is a GM, not a conjurer. "He did not address......................". What the hell was he going to use to address those issues with? The same marginal offensive players we're watching now? Perhaps you think every other GM in the league is an idiot, ready and willing to take dead weight off of our hands and return something more valuable because we ask them to. He's been on the job less than a year, if by this time next year some offensive improvement hasn't been realized, then you can start grousing. I'll be right there with you. But until then, give the man a chance.

Btw, I'm not expecting the moon. While we have cap room, what we have to deal is limited and we are not an attractive market to FAs. Need Belmont underway, and the Coli full time would be nice too (yeah, yeah, Barclays/Coli 2019/20 is a done deal so stop talking about it. Twelve games at the Coli was all we were getting this year. Somehow that changed mid-course. It can be done).

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Like duhhh, is right. Like what duhhh hell is this nonsense?

LL is a GM, not a conjurer. "He did not address......................". What the hell was he going to use to address those issues with?
The same marginal offensive players we're watching now? Perhaps you think every other GM in the league is an idiot, ready and willing to take dead weight off of our hands and return something more valuable because we ask them to. He's been on the job less than a year, if by this time next year some offensive improvement hasn't been realized, then you can start grousing. I'll be right there with you. But until then, give the man a chance.

Btw, I'm not expecting the moon. While we have cap room, what we have to deal is limited and we are not an attractive market to FAs. Need Belmont underway, and the Coli full time would be nice too (yeah, yeah, Barclays/Coli 2019/20 is a done deal so stop talking about it. Twelve games at the Coli was all we were getting this year. Somehow that changed mid-course. It can be done).

Was ANYTHING measurable done to address
- an inefficient PP?
- supply a viable Top 6 forward option better than what we've already got?

Anything?

I'm not buying this shtick that nothing could be done without sacrificing the master plan or that Lou's hands were tied by an overpriced market or insinuate that he's not good enough a GM to find something to adequately address those needs to some degree larger than 0%.

Because he addressed them 0%.

Raise the bar, people!

PS) Since the deadline, the PP has gotten WORSE and no less than one of those 5 Top 6 forwards we actually had has fallen off the planet (yes, Bailey, here's looking at you!).

I'd gander that Lou sits up in that press box, watching what's happening, and wondering a whole lot if he shouldn't have actually pulled off move X/Y/Z for this team while he had the chance.

PPS) As established above, this is all about discussing Lou Lamoriello's work as the Isles' GM. Naturally, I'd not trade him for the world right now. I love the overall plan and believe in shooting for long-term success. Alas, we can all see what's happening at this vital juncture of the season and see the struggles that have come right after Lou chose - for whatever is ultimately the reason - to be silent at the trade deadline. So that trend hasn't been boding well for him as part of this analysis/discussion.

Last edited:

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Was ANYTHING measurable done to address
- an inefficient PP?
- supply a viable Top 6 forward option better than what we've already got?

Anything?

I not buying this shtick that nothing could be done without sacrificing the master plan or that Lou's hands were tied by an overpriced market or insinuate that he's not good enough a GM to find something to adequately address those needs to some degree larger than 0%.

Because he addressed them 0%.

Raise the bar, people!

PS) Since the deadline, the PP has gotten WORSE and no less than one of those 5 Top 6 forwards we actually had has fallen off the planet (yes, Bailey, here's looking at you!).

I'd gander that Lou sits up in that press box, watching what's happening, and wondering a whole lot if he shouldn't have actually pulled off move X/Y/Z for this team while he had the chance.

PPS) As established above, this is all about discussing Lou Lamoriello's work as the Isles' GM. Naturally, I'd not trade him for the world right now. We can all see what's happening at this vital juncture and see the struggles that have come right after he chose to be silent at the trade deadline. So that doesn't bode well for him as part of this analysis/discussion.

What assets were you willing to give up to obtain who?
Losing assets to acquire a rental, and have that rental walk? That’s moves a team that thinks it can make a run makes. This season will be a huge success if they win a round.
I thought Lou should have sold, at least Eberle
How’s Columbus looking now? You want to be in Columbus’ shoes this summer?

Reactions: Newsworthy

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Losing assets to acquire a rental, and have that rental walk? That’s moves a team that thinks it can make a run makes. This season will be a huge success if they win a round.
I thought Lou should have sold
, at least Eberle
If Lou sold there's a good chance this team misses the playoffs, much less wins a round...

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
This team has a lot more hockey in front of them over the next 3+ weeks.
I refuse to speculate whether they will make or miss the playoffs or win or lose a round.

I think the guys in the lockeroom will decide that and prove who is worth signing or trading.

This is what you want. A test to see who is going to step up or fold when it comes to future decisions.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
If Lou sold there's a good chance this team misses the playoffs, much less wins a round...

You think Eberle is the difference in making the playoffs?!
If that’s the case he def should’ve traded him, because this team clearly was not in a position to make a long playoff run.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You think Eberle is the difference in making the playoffs?!
If that’s the case he def should’ve traded him, because this team clearly was not in a position to make a long playoff run.
You're all over the place so I'm not even sure what your point is.

Like it or not , Eberle is a big part of this team. He plays 17 minutes a game and is a top 6 forward on the team. It is clear we are very thin on offense. An injury to freaking Valteri Filppula is significant. If Lou sold our top forwards (such as Eberle) for picks/prospects we'd be much worse off, short term. And I'd argue be in danger of missing the playoffs altogether.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
You're all over the place so I'm not even sure what your point is.

Like it or not , Eberle is a big part of this team. He plays 17 minutes a game and is a top 6 forward on the team. It is clear we are very thin on offense. An injury to freaking Valteri Filppula is significant. If Lou sold our top forwards (such as Eberle) for picks/prospects we'd be much worse off, short term. And I'd argue be in danger of missing the playoffs altogether.

Lou didn’t want to pay the price for rentals
The only potential ufa who extended was Stone, and it looks like he would only sign with Vegas

That being said, this roster is not going to go that deep in the playoffs, therefore, if Eberle could’ve fetched a late first or a second and a prospect, that would’ve given Lou more ammunition to fill his needs this summer.

And you honestly think Eberle is the difference between making and missing the playoffs? His production hasn’t exactly been stellar. Has 7 goals since before Christmas.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Lou didn’t want to pay the price for rentals
The only potential ufa who extended was Stone, and it looks like he would only sign with Vegas

That being said, this roster is not going to go that deep in the playoffs, therefore, if Eberle could’ve fetched a late first or a second and a prospect, that would’ve given Lou more ammunition to fill his needs this summer.

And you honestly think Eberle is the difference between making and missing the playoffs? His production hasn’t exactly been stellar. Has 7 goals since before Christmas.
No I don't think that Eberle, per se is the difference. However, subtract Filppula AND Eberle and this team is SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

I any case, it would've been idiotic to trade Eberle (or any other top 6 forward) this trade deadline. Which is why Lou didn't do do it.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I used to think they could - I’m not sure anymore. Who are they beating over 7 games? We are an avg hockey team right now living off past success.
Quite the myopic take.

They are what they are. Short on talent but well coached and great defense keeps most games close. Should bode well for the playoffs. If they finish 1st or 2nd in the division, I like their chances against anyone.

Reactions: dood

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Quite the myopic take.

They are what they are. Short on talent but well coached and great defense keeps most games close. Should bode well for the playoffs. If they finish 1st or 2nd in the division, I like their chances against anyone.

1st in the division? Do you really think we are playing well enough to catch the caps? The caps are flying. They just put 55 shots on TB last night.

The underlying numbers that made this team successful have fallen off a cliff the last 15-20 games. I just hope they don’t fall to the WC. I don’t see any matchup that looks good for us. I think teams are starting to look at us as the best matchup.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
After tonight, what deal was out there that 1) would’ve changed the swoon, 2) wouldn’t have required mortgaging the future?
Lou was right
Prices were too high
Roster isn’t close to being ready for a run

Give the man a little while to cut the dead wood, add some skill and grit

Reactions: dood

islesjuncky

Jun 15, 2014
new york
After tonight, what deal was out there that 1) would’ve changed the swoon, 2) wouldn’t have required mortgaging the future?
Lou was right
Prices were too high
Roster isn’t close to being ready for a run

Give the man a little while to cut the dead wood, add some skill and grit

If we live with the mindset trade prices are too high we'll never win. You gotta give to get. We were in a position we havent been in a long time with a golden opportunity to make noise and lou messed up

Reactions: Satan'sIsland81

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
If we live with the mindset trade prices are too high we'll never win. You gotta give to get. We were in a position we havent been in a long time with a golden opportunity to make noise and lou messed up

But you don’t sacrifice the next 6 years when you know you’re team isn’t good enough to make a serious run
Trading first round picks, Bellows, Wahlstrom etc would have been foolish
This team isn’t good enough
They played above their heads, all out playoff hockey for too many games. Can’t play 1 goal games all season, catches up with you. The talent is not there.
Trading away assets to not get swept is asinine. Lou and Trotz knew this was a 2-4 year “rebuild”
The early success, especially after Tavares leaving clouded too many people’s vision.
Let Lou build, let him build a deep run playoff team
Got a feeling some of the fan favorites, Leddy and Bailey in particular should be nervous

Evaluation time will be over, for Lou, it starts this summer

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
In a bubble, the deadline may be a failure, but we don't live in a bubble. What is the point in addressing our center depth with a mediocre move if we're not winning the cup anyway?
What's the point of competing at all for that matter?
Why not just tank the season and draft a young stud Center?

Reactions: Satan'sIsland81

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The Trade Deadline was probably not a fail for you IF you feel that getting through it without losing any current assets defines a win. I know many here feel that way.

And on the whole, the season has been a huge success thus far. No doubt!

Putting aside the beggars can't be choosers attitude, we've got to wonder if it could have been a "huger" success? I mean we had two very clear-cut weaknesses that simply haven't been addressed and they're making life extremely hard at a very crucial time.

Tell me this: How successful will this first season end up being if the Isles crumble now and end up MISSING the playoffs after everything they did over the first 55 games?

'Cause one way or the other, the real work starts this summer... starting with 5 of the key reasons we've even had the season we've had.

Agreed. This team was not winning the cup with or without a tweak.

Then again, the suggested tweak was to make sure they'd even make the playoffs, where then anything is possible.

We've got a lot to look forward to this summer, which will be crucial.

I know what we're suspecting. But we won't know what happens until it happens.

I sure know this... By July 5th, I pretty much want to know what this team is going to look like heading into next season, and I want to feel DAMN GOOD about it!
If the Isles are looking to attract premier free agents than winning helps. If the Islanders are looking for playoff revenue than making the playoffs is required.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
1st in the division? Do you really think we are playing well enough to catch the caps? The caps are flying. They just put 55 shots on TB last night.

The underlying numbers that made this team successful have fallen off a cliff the last 15-20 games. I just hope they don’t fall to the WC. I don’t see any matchup that looks good for us. I think teams are starting to look at us as the best matchup.
The team stopped doing what made them successful the first 55 games-being hard to play against, fighting for the inches, winning board battles. It sounds cliche but it’s true. They just rolled over for 2 teams. This isn’t a case of no puck luck or the other goalie standing on his head. The Isles stopped doing what Trotz preached all season and they’ve gone back to over-stickhandling, bad passing and bad puck management. It’s up to them to self-correct.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
The team stopped doing what made them successful the first 55 games-being hard to play against, fighting for the inches, winning board battles. It sounds cliche but it’s true. They just rolled over for 2 teams. This isn’t a case of no puck luck or the other goalie standing on his head. The Isles stopped doing what Trotz preached all season and they’ve gone back to over-stickhandling, bad passing and bad puck management. It’s up to them to self-correct.
Bingo.

I've been saying this all year...as Lou said, this is an evaluation year. There are a lot of players playing for jobs/contracts next year. There is still games to be played and Lou is taking notes. If this group keeps f***ing up the rest of the way, there will be plenty of changes, which will be fine by me...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Losing assets to acquire a rental, and have that rental walk?

I answered these questions (addressed these issues) in prior posts yesterday.

Generally, I feel a savvy, long-standing GM like Lou should have been able to do more than 0% by the Trade Deadline, and that while only paying a minimal price.

We do have assets in the system that likely will not play a role for us moving forward. We could have moved a future 2nd/3rd/4th now and then recouped those picks later by moving other assets we're not planning with. Theoretically. Plenty of GMs do that kind of thing.

We ended up seeing that players who would have been tweaks directly addressing the key issues on this team were obtained for a couple of mid-rounders. Gotta think the signal sent to the team and the fans and the possible success moving towards the postseason would have worth such mid-rounders, well knowing that there may be other ways to recoup them down the line.

That’s moves a team that thinks it can make a run makes. This season will be a huge success if they win a round.
I thought Lou should have sold, at least Eberle.

Win a round?

This season goes from success to failure if this team ends up out of the playoffs.

Using the last 15+ games to go from 1st in the Metro to out of the playoffs will be a form of failure that would weigh much heavier than the success gained mid-season.

I.e. a Trade Deadline acquisition would not have been about making a cup run (as much as some fans think it would have been), but more about ensuring playoff participation and reaffirming the foundation that this season is supposed to be. It would have been about sending a message to the locker room and the fanbase while hopefully addressing the issues at hand sufficiently enough to prevent imploding down the stretch.

I think that if you've read my posts here, then making this connection is disingenuous.

I am a Lou and Trotz supporter. I am madly in love with our new management, so to speak. I am all for the establishment of long-term stability and being able to compete year-in and year-out. That doesn't come overnight.

I in no way supported "selling the farm" at the Trade Deadline. Quite the opposite.

I in no way felt the go all-in moves had any relevance for us at this juncture. I've never felt this team was going to contend this year.

I DID think adding a player who can be a better Top 6 option than Beau/Ladd/Kuhnhackl while also having a solid line of work on the PP (thus, being out there instead of a Clutterbuck or Ladd) without moving a piece of value to our long-term plan to competitiveness was not only doable, but necessary, and admittedly for the reasons above.

I wish soooo much that the boys in that locker room would be giving me, and anyone who thinks like me, the middle finger for having doubted them.

But I saw what I saw over 55-60 games and felt that these two issues could NOT and would NOT be addressed from within over the last 20 games.

Now we're seeing what we're seeing.

And it eats me up, because just making the playoffs will make this season a resounding success.

Do those boys get it done over the last 8 games???

They've lost 3 of 4 games and have exactly 4 goals in that span, 13 against.

COLUMBUS:
That team is going to be fine. Trust me. Kekalainen is a solid GM, one who has proven that he has major cajones, and he's got the financial backing to make things happen, even if and when all of Bobrovsky, Panarin, Duchene, and Dzingel walk.

With a young core that includes the likes of Jones, Werenka, Dubois, and Atkinson, this team is NOT going away. The summer is filled with building blocks on the market and as much as the pundits will say they've moved futures from a prospect and draft pick bin that was already thin, the organization does have some pieces that will be helping very quickly.

Don't be surprised to see Kekalainen go the San Jose route and add some older European UFAs along the way who end up helping out.

As for the results that team has had after going ALL IN at the Trade Deadline while knowing its two biggest UFAs are walking this summer, we can just count our lucky numbers, because their failures to date may be the only thing that allows us to stay in the playoff picture. And honestly, Jarmo was pretty much DAMNED to make use of this window of opportunity, one that Tortorella has the onus of making work. They have major abilities on that team and they shouldn't have anything stopping them from getting back into the playoff picture.

The may still with a big end spurt.

But don't worry about Columbus moving forward. Kekalainen will have them back in a healthy asset status in no time flat. They've got plenty to work with.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Generally, I feel a savvy, long-standing GM like Lou should have been able to do more than 0% by the Trade Deadline, and that while only paying a minimal price.

We do have assets in the system that likely will not play a role for us moving forward. We could have moved a future 2nd/3rd/4th now and then recouped those picks later by moving other assets we're not planning with. Theoretically. Plenty of GMs do that kind of thing.

We ended up seeing that players who would have been tweaks directly addressing the key issues on this team were obtained for a couple of mid-rounders. Gotta think the signal sent to the team and the fans and the possible success moving towards the postseason would have worth such mid-rounders, well knowing that there may be other ways to recoup them down the line.

Win a round?

This season goes from success to failure if this team ends up out of the playoffs.

Using the last 15+ games to go from 1st in the Metro to out of the playoffs will be a form of failure that would weigh much heavier than the success gained mid-season.

I.e. a Trade Deadline acquisition would not have been about making a cup run (as much as some fans think it would have been), but more about ensuring playoff participation and reaffirming the foundation that this season is supposed to be. It would have been about sending a message to the locker room and the fanbase while hopefully addressing the issues at hand sufficiently enough to prevent imploding down the stretch.

I think that if you've read my posts here, then making this connection is disingenuous.

I am a Lou and Trotz supporter. I am madly in love with our new management, so to speak. I am all for the establishment of long-term stability and being able to compete year-in and year-out. That doesn't come overnight.

I in no way supported "selling the farm" at the Trade Deadline. Quite the opposite.

I in no way felt the go all-in moves had any relevance for us at this juncture. I've never felt this team was going to contend this year.

I DID think adding a player who can be a better Top 6 option than Beau/Ladd/Kuhnhackl while also having a solid line of work on the PP (thus, being out there instead of a Clutterbuck or Ladd) without moving a piece of value to our long-term plan to competitiveness was not only doable, but necessary, and admittedly for the reasons above.

I wish soooo much that the boys in that locker room would be giving me, and anyone who thinks like me, the middle finger for having doubted them.

But I saw what I saw over 55-60 games and felt that these two issues could NOT and would NOT be addressed from within over the last 20 games.

And it eats me up, because just making the playoffs will make this season a resounding success.

COLUMBUS:
That team is going to be fine. Trust me. Kekalainen is a solid GM, one who has proven that he has major cajones, and he's got the financial backing to make things happen, even if and when all of Bobrovsky, Panarin, Duchene, and Dzingel walk.

With a young core that includes the likes of Jones, Werenka, Dubois, and Atkinson, this team is NOT going away. The summer is filled with building blocks on the market and as much as the pundits will say they've moved futures from a prospect and draft pick bin that was already thin, the organization does have some pieces that will be helping very quickly.

Don't be surprised to see Kekalainen go the San Jose route and add some older European UFAs along the way who end up helping out.

As for the results that team has had after going ALL IN at the Trade Deadline while knowing its two biggest UFAs are walking this summer, we can just count our lucky numbers, because their failures to date may be the only thing that allows us to stay in the playoff picture. And honestly, Jarmo was pretty much DAMNED to make use of this window of opportunity, one that Tortorella has the onus of making work. They have major abilities on that team and they shouldn't have anything stopping them from getting back into the playoff picture.

But don't worry about Columbus moving forward. Kekalainen will have them back in a healthy asset status in no time flat. They've got plenty to work with.
You’re assuming Kekalainen and John Davidson don’t lose their jobs if they miss the playoffs. Owners sometimes get pissy about things like that, especially when the GM showed some “balls” and went all-in.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

Win a round?

COLUMBUS:

Getting a better top six option without giving up a piece of value to our future?
Good luck, teams give away good players for junk all the time

And I’m completely against trading away futures to ensure that this roster got into the playoffs. Build to ensure deep playoff runs and a real chance to win a championship. Trading futures just to get in ensures the cycle of mediocrity. I’m glad Lou agreed with that.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You’re assuming Kekalainen and John Davidson don’t lose their jobs if they miss the playoffs. Owners sometimes get pissy about things like that, especially when the GM showed some “balls” and went all-in.

Yes, I guess I am assuming that, in that I don't see Kekalainen losing his job this offseason.

Sure, could happen. Heck, maybe he even had a directive from above "Go all-in and hope it works, 'cause otherwise you're outta here".

But I almost gotta think that alone the balls to pick Dubois over Puljujarvi a few summers back has bought him a good bit of good faith.

The guy who may be under more pressure is Tortorella, who already had plenty of material to compete with and now has all that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad