Post-Game Talk: | Loss | Series 3-2 Pens | Tough one, hope Sid is okay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Actually, quick question about last night’s game because I was stream watching and it was muted: did the puck enter the net on the play where malkin got penalized for the cross check in the 3rd?
Sportsnet didn't show a replay but made a comment that IF it has gone in Malkin would have costed them the goal.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm no moralist, but I just find it really boring to watch a team that gets perennially injured, even if it's not their fault. I'd rather us be doing the injuring.

Me too. But unfortunately Sullivan, Mario, and co. seem to really it. I pray the new management team doesn't, and finally does something about it

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
For the record, the Pens have won 3 games with a fringe NHL goalie against the vezina winner with their 3rd best winger out playing their hockey vs. 2 for the Rangers playing goon hockey.

Reactions: ncm7772

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For the record, the Pens have won 3 games with a fringe NHL goalie against the vezina winner with their 3rd best winger out playing their hockey vs. 2 for the Rangers playing goon hockey.
It's still been a great series for us, but if NYR pulls it out because they injured our star center, it's a predictable finish that everyone in the world could have seen coming. :dunno: I get the frustration.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

You're completely correct of course.

But we're a sour bunch and this is some bullshit.

Reactions: ncm7772

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Best case scenario, we're up 6-0 with 2 minutes left. Sullivan discovers a hint of masculinity, and sends Boyle out to break Trouba's jaw with his stick. Instead of golfing, Trouba spends the next 6 weeks eating from a straw, and Boyle gets suspended for the next series.
Win win

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, how many times has it happened to this franchise and then every time it does happen, Pittsburgh media, the organization, and the players are shocked that it has happened, yet again. Who would have thought that people would target your best player?

It is a mystery.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid or no, a team blowing a 3-1 lead is pretty embarrassing. No one player should be that important, outside of maaaaybe a goalie. Speaks pretty poorly of the makeup of the team if they can't win one game of these last three--well, two now.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm good with that...I've got a LOT of hate built up over 15 years and wouldn't mind them exercising some of it for me when 'we' suck again. it starts with the f***ing islanders...

That's a good team to have at the top of the ol list.

Mine starts with the Capitals. But the way Rangers faithful have acted in this series has me wondering a bit.

Reactions: BillPrep

metalan2

May 30, 2008
The Pens we're always going to get screwed in game 5 because the NHL needed this series at least 6. It was going to be very hard for them to win.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I mean, how many times has it happened to this franchise and then every time it does happen, Pittsburgh media, the organization, and the players are shocked that it has happened, yet again. Who would have thought that people would target your best player?

It is a mystery.

To his credit, Rutherford recognized this, and tried like hell to address it. Sullivan simply refused to integrate those guys whatsoever. So nothing will ever change until Sullivan is replaced. And until then, I could really give a shit what happens. I'll always root for the team, and for Sid and Geno, but at the end of the day I know how this movie ends. No use getting worked up about it

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sid or no, a team blowing a 3-1 lead is pretty embarrassing. No one player should be that important, outside of maaaaybe a goalie. Speaks pretty poorly of the makeup of the team if they can't win one game of these last three--well, two now.
Did you forget who we have in net? :P

I don't think it's embarrassing if we lose this series. Disappointing, certainly.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

It is a mystery.
My problem, and the big reason when this core moves on I’ll be done with sports in general (I don’t watch any sports outside of pens hockey now) is because of the headshots and how they’re not only not punished, but go to the mainboards, they’re applauded. It’s just disgusting. The human in me cant continue to be a part of me in anyway.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Did you forget who we have in net? :P

I don't think it's embarrassing if we lose this series. Disappointing, certainly.
Yeah, the guy who held the fort enough to get to a 3-1 lead. Domingue ain't the problem. :laugh:

I don't care what the circumstances are; if a team loses a series they were up 3-1 (-edit- and they were up 2-0 in the second period of game 5 to boot!), they didn't deserve to move on anyway. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
My problem, and the big reason when this core moves on I’ll be done with sports in general (I don’t watch any sports outside of pens hockey now) is because of the headshots and how they’re not only not punished, but go to the mainboards, they’re applauded. It’s just disgusting. The human in me cant continue to be a part of me in anyway.

I'm basically down to Penguins hockey, too. After this core... I mean... old habits are hard to break but man I've had a lot of the joy sucked out of me watching this shit go on for years and years.

To piggyback your point it's doubly frustrating because when it comes to these headshots the sympathy seems to depend on... well... I haven't figured that part out yet. But like Crosby gets brained and everyone cooks up these Charlie-from-Always-Sunny-meme-level explanations to not only dismiss it but downright applaud it as "good hardnosed playoff hockey" or whatever horseshit. But then someone like Aho tonight gets run and the tissues rain from the heavens.

I just don't get it. I'm not trying to sound like a whiner here but I can't remember ONE time that the league at large shared in our frustration when this shit goes down. It's always either handwaved or flat-out "lol Crosby's a baby and Malkin is dirty anyway Penguins fans are so soft."

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, the guy who held the fort enough to get to a 3-1 lead. Domingue ain't the problem. :laugh:

I don't care what the circumstances are; if a team loses a series they were up 3-1 (-edit- and they were up 2-0 in the second period of game 5 to boot!), they didn't deserve to move on anyway. :laugh:
I just hope we win it, even if we get swept in the next round.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The same shit happens now. Last spring, the Jets literally tackled McDavid all series long and gave the dude the Staal/Dubinsky treatment with their sticks, people just trundled to their keyboards, dragging knuckles the whole way, and talked about how McDavid's some playoff loser or whatever.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm basically down to Penguins hockey, too. After this core... I mean... old habits are hard to break but man I've had a lot of the joy sucked out of me watching this shit go on for years and years.

To piggyback your point it's doubly frustrating because when it comes to these headshots the sympathy seems to depend on... well... I haven't figured that part out yet. But like Crosby gets brained and everyone cooks up these Charlie-from-Always-Sunny-meme-level explanations to not only dismiss it but downright applaud it as "good hardnosed playoff hockey" or whatever horseshit. But then someone like Aho tonight gets run and the tissues rain from the heavens.

I just don't get it. I'm not trying to sound like a whiner here but I can't remember ONE time that the league at large shared in our frustration when this shit goes down. It's always either handwaved or flat-out "lol Crosby's a baby and Malkin is dirty anyway Penguins fans are so soft."
Yes, this is what I was trying to say. Injuries will happen in sports. You have big, strong, fast humans going all out, shit will go wrong. I don’t care about injuries, generally. They suck, I feel bad, but they happen.

But people are getting their brains caved in and not only is there no penalty. No discipline. Not only can the announces not even say it was a headshot. Not only is there no sympathy or remorse from literally anyone, there are excuses, there are claims of intent, and there are cheers. It’s disgusting. If that’s what sports is, it’s not for me.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're completely correct of course.

But we're a sour bunch and this is some bullshit.
PhSZclh.png

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

I've heard noted Pen haters like Keith Jones and others applaud the Pens when they brought in Reaves and Gudbranson. The media is an extension of the league. So if the media believes in the 'old school' way of players policing themselves, you can bet your ass the league and DOPS feel the same. Sullivan just refuses to admit it.

I'm to the point where I'd be fine with letting Geno, Letang, Rust, and practically everyone else go. Try to get as many prospects and draft picks as possible and try to have a contender 5 years from now. But, in those 5 years, I'd sign every maniac goon possible, and mandate that they deliberately injure someone every game of the year. If they get suspended who cares? Just sign another one. Send a message to the league once and for all

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yes, this is what I was trying to say. Injuries will happen in sports. You have big, strong, fast humans going all out, shit will go wrong. I don’t care about injuries, generally. They suck, I feel bad, but they happen.

But people are getting their brains caved in and not only is there no penalty. No discipline. Not only can the announces not even say it was a headshot. Not only is there no sympathy or remorse from literally anyone, there are excuses, there are claims of intent, and there are cheers. It’s disgusting. If that’s what sports is, it’s not for me.
No league caters to the worthless plugs like the NHL. They'll simultaneously crank off to Dubinsky trying to break Sid's neck with crosschecks or some dumb bastard like Trouba running around and elbowing Sid and Jake in the face while also being like "Boohoo, nobody respects us or watches the sport".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I think in most ways what we're trying to say here is...

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?"

I've heard noted Pen haters like Keith Jones and others applaud the Pens when they brought in Reaves and Gudbranson. The media is an extension of the league. So if the media believes in the 'old school' way of players policing themselves, you can bet your ass the league and DOPS feel the same. Sullivan just refuses to admit it.

I'm to the point where I'd be fine with letting Geno, Letang, Rust, and practically everyone else go. Try to get as many prospects and draft picks as possible and try to have a contender 5 years from now. But, in those 5 years, I'd sign every maniac goon possible, and mandate that they deliberately injure someone every game of the year. If they get suspended who cares? Just sign another one. Send a message to the league once and for all

lol I love that you're the most violent Deadhead ever.

But anyway... I gotta tell ya past me would hate this line of thought. I really don't like seeing anyone injured. But I'm jaded and have seen too much of it go not just unpunished but downright celebrated so yeah... go full goon squad as far as I care. There's a good chance I won't be watching, regardless.

Reactions: UnrealMachine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad