Post-Game Talk: Losing streak done Jets 4 - Kings 3

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think some of the miscues in the dzone between Connor, Monahan and Perfetti can be cleaned up with some more games together. Could be as easy as watching tape and discussing assignments/ rotations

Agreed. I saw them bunch on more then one occasion indicating they aren't super familiar with each other's tendencies.

Reactions: Buffdog

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Maybe, but had Cole closed it allows Fiala to hit the RD who then has an unimpeded track right to our net since we already had all our players sans Cole on the strong side. We already had Monohan closing on him as well which kept him on the outside.

Imo the mistakes were more Pionk/KC. Pionk made the standard rip it blindly up the board play expecting KC to be there. KC wasn't there and then got walked by Fiala.

Also it should have been a nothing burger as we made Fiala shoot from 40 feet anyhow. LB just miffed on the shot just like he whiffed on the third goal.
tRBLgYQ.jpeg

Not that it wasn't a nice play by Fiala, but what was Brossoit's plan here? Drops to his knees behind a 4 man screen leaving the left side of the net wide open with a clear lane to shoot through. Even ignoring that I don't think you can put much blame on Perfetti there.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Man what a journey just to watch the game.
I blew it and hadn't set a recording.
I went to start watching around 10:30 with no file.
Back when I was on MTS I could have just restarted the game from the beginning.
But Shaw doesn't have that feature.
I poked around TSN + to see if I got a month subscription if I could watch a replay.
Apparently not.
Luckily my friend came through and with an app and my firestick and his help I was able to watch the game. Now through all of this I had still avoided the score.
When I started watching the file it was near the end of the game so I had to rewind to the beginning.
But I managed to do that without seeing the score.
During the first intermission I hit a wrong button on my remote and had to restart the file but this is where I screwed up because it went back to where it was the first time (not where I was).
So I did see the score... BUT... I didn't know which team had which score.
It's 1-1 and I know it's going to be at least 3 to 4 (again not knowing who was the 3 and who was the 4 and how much of the game would be left at that point).

Through all of that to have my favorite player Perfetti (shares my sons name so we cheer for him) step up to the plate and have a hell of a game was the cherry on top.

If (big IF) Perfetti could maintain his pre-X-MAS type play and work in the top 6 that would mean Toffoli or Vilardi could play with Nino and Lowry. That could potentially add a scoring punch to that line and really help to carry this team. Wishful thinking but a guy can dream.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
I absolutely disagree with two of your assertions:

Schiefele on the system: the top line has almost always played a dump in retrieval style game. Schiefele played maybe his best hockey as a Jet in the first have of this season in the exact same style.

Additionally, they played essentially the same system in the "pack of wolves" season, and he was incredibly productive in it.

It's more likely that he's worn down by the grind of the season and how many minutes he's played. Not only does he play the most minutes of any forward, he's playing the hardest minutes, AND other teams key in on him as they know he stirs the drink for the Jets.

The solution is to have 3 scoring lines, and allow Schiefele to play a bit less and under some more favorable matchups. Id be looking to rest him in the last 7.

Secondly, we're too small:

We're one of the bigger teams in the league. One of the things I hear about the Jets from other teams broadcast teams often is how big and physical we are.

That doesn't mean big hits all over the ice. You hit when you don't have the puck. The Jets use their physical energy for protecting the puck, turning it over, etc. They don't play a bullying style.

I will say I wish the Jets finished their checks a bit more often because there is real benefit in that.
That was my point as well, the season is taking it's toll on his body. BUT, 55 does look disinterested and doesn't show that jump in his game that elite 1C's have. Not knocking him, just observing. I would like him to be more selfish around the net. His first instinct is to be a play maker, F that....... shoot!!!!! I can't believe I'm saying that, I sound like a timbits hockey parent, but in Marks' case he needs to shoot. lol.

I stand by my statement, our D is too small for playoff style hockey. Everyone is always preaching skill and I am as well but there is a place for size and strength, ala Buff.

This team is lacking the 1-2 truly elite players that can change a game, therefore they have to all be humming along to be effective. It could be the real problem is special teams

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
tRBLgYQ.jpeg

Not that it wasn't a nice play by Fiala, but what was Brossoit's plan here? Drops to his knees behind a 4 man screen leaving the left side of the net wide open with a clear lane to shoot through. Even ignoring that I don't think you can put much blame on Perfetti there.
Going into the butterfly when you can't see anything, is pretty typical - cover as much of the net as you can. He's off the right a bit but they usually cheat on the glove side - or he could setting up to cover the potential pass to the guy on his right. He really didn't have much chance on that based on the screen - one those forwards should have got in front of that - IMO.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Going into the butterfly when you can't see anything, is pretty typical - cover as much of the net as you can. He's off the right a bit but they usually cheat on the glove side - or he could setting up to cover the potential pass to the guy on his right. He really didn't have much chance on that based on the screen - one those forwards should have got in front of that - IMO.
Goalies have to move to see through screens all the time, there was a clear lane that he could have seen through while covering more of the net. Could be that he just lost his center, but watching the replay he was actually centered and then moved to that position, could have been anticipating the pass but that's still a lot of net to leave open.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Goalies have to move to see through screens all the time, there was a clear lane that he could have seen through while covering more of the net. Could be that he just lost his center, but watching the replay he was actually centered and then moved to that position, could have been anticipating the pass but that's still a lot of net to leave open.
He would have had to move out of the net to see through that triple screen - that's not always a good move.
Anyway, not worth debating - who knows what he was able to see (or not) in that situation - but a tough spot to be in IMO and he's not the guy I would be calling out on that goal.
Would have preferred those 2 dmen move that guy out of the way rather than surrounding him -

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
He grew up right down the street from me. Wasn’t very good at hockey….
Was pretty good at law but gave it up early when his books caught on. There's a coupla books with Mediterrean pirates and one about vikings that the wife gave me which were first rate.

Wasn't he a running back for the Blue Bombers?
Mick, Mack, petty close.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Man what a journey just to watch the game.
I blew it and hadn't set a recording.
I went to start watching around 10:30 with no file.
Back when I was on MTS I could have just restarted the game from the beginning.
But Shaw doesn't have that feature.
I poked around TSN + to see if I got a month subscription if I could watch a replay.
Apparently not.
Luckily my friend came through and with an app and my firestick and his help I was able to watch the game. Now through all of this I had still avoided the score.
When I started watching the file it was near the end of the game so I had to rewind to the beginning.
But I managed to do that without seeing the score.
During the first intermission I hit a wrong button on my remote and had to restart the file but this is where I screwed up because it went back to where it was the first time (not where I was).
So I did see the score... BUT... I didn't know which team had which score.
It's 1-1 and I know it's going to be at least 3 to 4 (again not knowing who was the 3 and who was the 4 and how much of the game would be left at that point).

Through all of that to have my favorite player Perfetti (shares my sons name so we cheer for him) step up to the plate and have a hell of a game was the cherry on top.

If (big IF) Perfetti could maintain his pre-X-MAS type play and work in the top 6 that would mean Toffoli or Vilardi could play with Nino and Lowry. That could potentially add a scoring punch to that line and really help to carry this team. Wishful thinking but a guy can dream.
Isn't technology just effing wonderful.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He would have had to move out of the net to see through that triple screen - that's not always a good move.
Anyway, not worth debating - who knows what he was able to see (or not) in that situation - but a tough spot to be in IMO and he's not the guy I would be calling out on that goal.
Would have preferred those 2 dmen move that guy out of the way rather than surrounding him -
If he was centered he would have been covering more of the net and have a better line of sight and would have had a better chance of the puck hitting him is my point. I do know what he couldn't see, Fiala or the puck, since he didn't react to the shot until it was already in the net. Those 2 defensemen weren't originally screening him, he placed himself behind them.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If he was centered he would have been covering more of the net and have a better line of sight and would have had a better chance of the puck hitting him is my point. I do know what he couldn't see, Fiala or the puck, since he didn't react to the shot until it was already in the net. Those 2 defensemen weren't originally screening him, he placed himself behind them.
We already covered why he might not be centered -
in the end, he was screened - there are 3 guys in front of him before the shot was taken - usually the goaltender gets a bit of a pass in those situations -
You can blame him - I don't - so we disagree. And that's fine.

Reactions: Atoyot

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Didn’t see the game but nice win.

The top line (E S V) did not get a single shot on net? Wut.
?
According to naturalstattrick they had 6 shot attempts and 2 shots on goal at 5v5. They had some decent chances without really clicking like we are used to see with that line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
tRBLgYQ.jpeg

You mean what is Brossoit suppose to do in this situation?
Three guys are blocking his vision and just before Fiala shot the puck you can see in slow motion LB head turns to the right to see where the puck is.
Also if it deflects off anyone the puck is going down so LB has that covered being on his knees. If the puck deflects to the Kings player on the right ... LB has that covered by cheating to the right. If LB is covering the left side chances are Fiala passing it to the open man on the right.
Face it Fiala made a great play backhand to forehand and made a perfect shot.
We know the bone head play that lead up to the goal why blame the goalie.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That was my point as well, the season is taking it's toll on his body. BUT, 55 does look disinterested and doesn't show that jump in his game that elite 1C's have. Not knocking him, just observing. I would like him to be more selfish around the net. His first instinct is to be a play maker, F that....... shoot!!!!! I can't believe I'm saying that, I sound like a timbits hockey parent, but in Marks' case he needs to shoot. lol.

I stand by my statement, our D is too small for playoff style hockey. Everyone is always preaching skill and I am as well but there is a place for size and strength, ala Buff.

This team is lacking the 1-2 truly elite players that can change a game, therefore they have to all be humming along to be effective. It could be the real problem is special teams
Helly is supposed to be that one elite player. Morrissey was also up for a Norris last season.

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Did anyone really hate him? I think most felt badly for him that he was in a slump, then moved to the 4th line and knew it was a rough patch but his talent would rise to the top. The key is can he do it consistently?

Haters is a joking term and I was trying to have a bit of fun. Its more of a catch all expression for me to describe Fans of little faith.

I get it Cole had a rough stretch after a good half season. Let’s hope he digs out and helps in the playoffs.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You mean what is Brossoit suppose to do in this situation?
Three guys are blocking his vision and just before Fiala shot the puck you can see in slow motion LB head turns to the right to see where the puck is.
Also if it deflects off anyone the puck is going down so LB has that covered being on his knees. If the puck deflects to the Kings player on the right ... LB has that covered by cheating to the right. If LB is covering the left side chances are Fiala passing it to the open man on the right.
Face it Fiala made a great play backhand to forehand and made a perfect shot.
We know the bone head play that lead up to the goal why blame the goalie.
You're right, leaving half of the net open was the right play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad