Post-Game Talk: Losing streak done Jets 4 - Kings 3

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lovely stuff

Perfecto was inspired.

The new lines provided some jump.

Lardo had a game. This player adds so much to the Jets.

Josh Morrissey his second very strong game in a row.

Could have been a 4-1 or 4-2 win for the jets without too much imagination.

Congrats to @surixon
So..... how do we keep perfetti on a scoring line??

We need THREE scoring lines!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Was at the game and you could tell it was a Monday night not a weekend. Not much energy in the building. Low event game for the most part so right up our alley.

Something is off with 55, I'll just leave it at that. 27 is also struggling. My personal feeling is that 55 doesn't like the dump and grind it out style of play we are incorporating and it certainly doesn't fit Ehler's or Connor's game. Not saying it's the wrong system, just saying those players are not suited to play that way and a season of it takes a toll on their bodies.

CMC line was the difference in the game as far as offense.
44 is a beast and our best player. So much fun to watch him dance when everyone else is chasing him.
88 struggled but he's not lazy and is giving it his all, just father time taking it's toll.

I will say, we are too small of a team. We get pushed around and loose battles too easily.
Wow can LA fire the puck.

The pp sucks even worse in person. No plan other than to cycle it around the perimeter and get it down low where the play dies. At this point if they don't remove the coach in the off season, they should be fired themselves.
I absolutely disagree with two of your assertions:

Schiefele on the system: the top line has almost always played a dump in retrieval style game. Schiefele played maybe his best hockey as a Jet in the first have of this season in the exact same style.

Additionally, they played essentially the same system in the "pack of wolves" season, and he was incredibly productive in it.

It's more likely that he's worn down by the grind of the season and how many minutes he's played. Not only does he play the most minutes of any forward, he's playing the hardest minutes, AND other teams key in on him as they know he stirs the drink for the Jets.

The solution is to have 3 scoring lines, and allow Schiefele to play a bit less and under some more favorable matchups. Id be looking to rest him in the last 7.

Secondly, we're too small:

We're one of the bigger teams in the league. One of the things I hear about the Jets from other teams broadcast teams often is how big and physical we are.

That doesn't mean big hits all over the ice. You hit when you don't have the puck. The Jets use their physical energy for protecting the puck, turning it over, etc. They don't play a bullying style.

I will say I wish the Jets finished their checks a bit more often because there is real benefit in that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
91, 81, 55, 44, 4, 9, 13 all good. Nice to see the forchecking from Connor. I actually think he wasn't terrible through the losing streak.
Yeah his battle level is so much more than the last couple months.

People who expect him to hit guys or invite contact will never like him - is simply not his game.

However, if he can be a puck hound, use his stick effectively and work harder to get the puck out I think that's more than enough along with his production.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I absolutely disagree with two of your assertions:

Schiefele on the system: the top line has almost always played a dump in retrieval style game. Schiefele played maybe his best hockey as a Jet in the first have of this season in the exact same style.

Additionally, they played essentially the same system in the "pack of wolves" season, and he was incredibly productive in it.

It's more likely that he's worn down by the grind of the season and how many minutes he's played. Not only does he play the most minutes of any forward, he's playing the hardest minutes, AND other teams key in on him as they know he stirs the drink for the Jets.

The solution is to have 3 scoring lines, and allow Schiefele to play a bit less and under some more favorable matchups. Id be looking to rest him in the last 7.

Secondly, we're too small:

We're one of the bigger teams in the league. One of the things I hear about the Jets from other teams broadcast teams often is how big and physical we are.

That doesn't mean big hits all over the ice. You hit when you don't have the puck. The Jets use their physical energy for protecting the puck, turning it over, etc. They don't play a bullying style.

I will say I wish the Jets finished their checks a bit more often because there is real benefit in that.

Well said. Mark isn't getting any younger, he needs a reduced work load. Give him a good 18 minutes a game and he looks much more fresh.

I also agree that Mark has always been more of a cycle offensive generator then a rush generator. The only thing I'd say is that there needs to be more nuance to our cycle game. But maybe that is a byproduct of really only having JoMo who is elite at switching in and out from the dcore.

I'd put Toffoli with Nino and Lowry and see if he can help turn that into a more offensive line while staying strong defensively.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yeah his battle level is so much more than the last couple months.

People who expect him to hit guys or invite contact will never like him - is simply not his game.

However, if he can be a puck hound, use his stick effectively and work harder to get the puck out I think that's more than enough along with his production.
Yes, I understand the negativity directed at 81, I am often right there in the middle of it. But it often gets overstated. He avoids the physical play because knows his body can't handle it, but when he uses his speed and active stick he can actually be effective defensively and even moreso on the forecheck.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes, I understand the negativity directed at 81, I am often right there in the middle of it. But it often gets overstated. He avoids the physical play because knows his body can't handle it, but when he uses his speed and active stick he can actually be effective defensively and even moreso on the forecheck.
I think it's also the reason he's stayed healthy throughout his career

Pionk makes 2 or 3 brain-dead plays per game, but nobody mentions the great plays for some reason. When he's on the ice, the guy is always in the play.
Yeah his battle and give a shit is off the charts. That's one of the reasons I like him so much, he's like a little bulldog.

It does drive me crazy when he whips the puck up the boards to no one, especially when he has time to make a much better play.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bross has the best gear in the league... hands down - not his best game though

Second line was on fire - I'm a huge fan of Monahan and Perfetti/Connor has real chemistry

Third looked like they had their mojo back too and really like Barron's game

ESV was just okay - Scheif had a weird game that is all I will say, he's not moving his feet

Toffoli has no place in the lineup to come back too... hopefully the Jets learned their lesson about tinkering - sitting Apples or Barron would be a huge mistake but who knows this year

Tighter game but not tight enough for the playoffs - Kings were tired

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Origins, is it? OK, lets get to it.

Years ago, a certain rookie poster became frustrated with his team. He tried to express his frustration in real time with standard lexicon (often lurid), but found those adjectives strangely hollow, and lacking in punch.

Searching for new ways to urge his beloved charges onward, the poster resorted to taxonomic terms. The said poster was not above invoking phylogeny, nor ontogeny.

Species thought to be extinct (eg, the coelacanth - a truly ancient animal whose genes stopped incorporating random beneficial mutations hundreds of thousands of years ago with their occupation of the perfect ecological niche) provided a certain je n'est-ce quoi to our beloved hero's attempts to find gravitas in his exclamations (Table 1).

Table 1. Evolution of hockey exhortation.

2013. "FFS score you used-car mongering swine." and the classic "These refs only want to f@3% us!" Excitement level: bottom, dirt level.

2015. "Please score you useless bags of squalid effluent." Excitement level: low

2016. "Go you gravy-sucking salmon, examine your souls, Valhalla is calling!" Excitement level: Mid grade.

2017 aka the breakthrough year. "Skate, ye great suffering sacs of translucent coelacanth upper digestive tracts! Skate, wheel and celly ye overblown hydrogen sucking dirigibles!" Excitement level: High... this prose has punch.

The Jets per se become an allegory for aquatic biology, with their success as a species on the line with every game played. Variations on this theme involve
- water quality passing through their gills (red river sewage is the preferred medium).
- lobes, bouyancy sacs, notochord function becomes part of the functional pantheon.

And, there you have it. Hope this helps. :)

k.
Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

The stuff that sticks with you...

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I was happy the fans booed PLD tonight.

It was the only way I could tell he was on the ice!!! :laugh:

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events