Post-Game Talk: Losing streak done Jets 4 - Kings 3

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's not all the debate was about. The other part of it was freeing Connor from Scheif, including the first-line matchups that he attracts, and seeing if he could have better metrics 5v5. Ideally that would translate into a better goal differential for him and the team, and more wins.

This was never about punishing Connor, but rather about allowing our top-6 offence to shine while changing his C and sheltering him a bit defensively.

Well said. It was about making both lines better.

Edit: Question now is, how long will it last? One bad period or 1 bad game and back to the defaults?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Haters is a joking term and I was trying to have a bit of fun. Its more of a catch all expression for me to describe Fans of little faith.

I get it Cole had a rough stretch after a good half season. Let’s hope he digs out and helps in the playoffs.

Seems like he learned from it based on Murat's article today. Better to go through it early in your career and learn the tools you need to dig yourself out of a major funk. He'll be better for it in the long run.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I absolutely disagree with two of your assertions:

Schiefele on the system: the top line has almost always played a dump in retrieval style game. Schiefele played maybe his best hockey as a Jet in the first have of this season in the exact same style.

Additionally, they played essentially the same system in the "pack of wolves" season, and he was incredibly productive in it.

It's more likely that he's worn down by the grind of the season and how many minutes he's played. Not only does he play the most minutes of any forward, he's playing the hardest minutes, AND other teams key in on him as they know he stirs the drink for the Jets.

The solution is to have 3 scoring lines, and allow Schiefele to play a bit less and under some more favorable matchups. Id be looking to rest him in the last 7.

Secondly, we're too small:

We're one of the bigger teams in the league. One of the things I hear about the Jets from other teams broadcast teams often is how big and physical we are.

That doesn't mean big hits all over the ice. You hit when you don't have the puck. The Jets use their physical energy for protecting the puck, turning it over, etc. They don't play a bullying style.

I will say I wish the Jets finished their checks a bit more often because there is real benefit in that.

Good post.
:laugh: And yet you say we don't often agree.

Re: Your last point. Yes, but there is a fine line between too little and too much.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet and Dirtbag151

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
I agree with the premiss that Ehlers on the first line allows Connor to see a more favourable matchup when on the second line. Connor is the closest thing we have to a pure goal scorer and we should be placing him in positions to be successful.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, I understand the negativity directed at 81, I am often right there in the middle of it. But it often gets overstated. He avoids the physical play because knows his body can't handle it, but when he uses his speed and active stick he can actually be effective defensively and even moreso on the forecheck.

That's why it is so frustrating at times watching him just not bothering to try. At times.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Man did we dodge a bullet by trading Dubois, LA's board is done with him and want him bought out, wow .

Buying him out this year is a one time only opportunity because of his age. One more birthday and the cost doubles.

It might be better to trade him if the retention can be kept low enough. But if it takes 50% retention they are better off with the buyout - ignoring any adds that might be required to get some team to take him or any possible return.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Man what a journey just to watch the game.
I blew it and hadn't set a recording.
I went to start watching around 10:30 with no file.
Back when I was on MTS I could have just restarted the game from the beginning.
But Shaw doesn't have that feature.
I poked around TSN + to see if I got a month subscription if I could watch a replay.
Apparently not.
Luckily my friend came through and with an app and my firestick and his help I was able to watch the game. Now through all of this I had still avoided the score.
When I started watching the file it was near the end of the game so I had to rewind to the beginning.
But I managed to do that without seeing the score.
During the first intermission I hit a wrong button on my remote and had to restart the file but this is where I screwed up because it went back to where it was the first time (not where I was).
So I did see the score... BUT... I didn't know which team had which score.
It's 1-1 and I know it's going to be at least 3 to 4 (again not knowing who was the 3 and who was the 4 and how much of the game would be left at that point).

Through all of that to have my favorite player Perfetti (shares my sons name so we cheer for him) step up to the plate and have a hell of a game was the cherry on top.

If (big IF) Perfetti could maintain his pre-X-MAS type play and work in the top 6 that would mean Toffoli or Vilardi could play with Nino and Lowry. That could potentially add a scoring punch to that line and really help to carry this team. Wishful thinking but a guy can dream.

Your son is named Perfetti? :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems like he learned from it based on Murat's article today. Better to go through it early in your career and learn the tools you need to dig yourself out of a major funk. He'll be better for it in the long run.

Bones mentioned he went through this with Kucherov, Robertson, Hintz….etc.

I am not losing sleep over it. I will give the article a read when I get a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
Bross has the best gear in the league... hands down - not his best game though

Second line was on fire - I'm a huge fan of Monahan and Perfetti/Connor has real chemistry

Third looked like they had their mojo back too and really like Barron's game

ESV was just okay - Scheif had a weird game that is all I will say, he's not moving his feet

Toffoli has no place in the lineup to come back too... hopefully the Jets learned their lesson about tinkering - sitting Apples or Barron would be a huge mistake but who knows this year

Tighter game but not tight enough for the playoffs - Kings were tired
I'm betting Toffoli slides back in with Monahan and Connor. Perfetti to the pressbox.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wonder if toffoli ends up Hayes 2.0 on the 4th line.

The issue is that it's easier for Bones to pull a kid out of the line up than a guy like Iafallo, who would maybe be my choice, or maybe Barron

Here's rhe big rub with keeping Perfetti in the line up, as I see it. And this isn't necessarily how I feel, but maybe how "the room" feels

If he stays in, who comes out with toffoli ready to go?

Barron or Iafallo are the only two possibilities. The problem is that both of those guys have done exactly what's been asked of them. The issue is that since they're less talented, less was asked of them than perfetti. But they held up their end and he didn't (for a stretch)

Again, this isn't my opinion per se. I'd love to see rhat same top six for a couple of more games to see what happens. It's just another way of looking at how a coach has to handle the room.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Pionk-a-donk!
Plinko. He bounces around all over the place and you are never quite sure which way he will go.

Nah, Perfetti will be put on the 4th line with little opportunity to produce, then when he doesn't produce he'll go to the press box.
If Nino is out Toffoli might get slotted into his spot if he's over the explosive diarrhea or whatever his problem is.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Plinko. He bounces around all over the place and you are never quite sure which way he will go.

If Nino is out Toffoli might get slotted into his spot if he's over the explosive diarrhea or whatever his problem is.
I think Toffoli would be pretty good there honestly. Lowry and Appleton are more about putting pucks into areas than putting them on the tape and Toffoli has the ability to make something out of very little provided he puck's in his area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad