Looking for a new center

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
scoring a ppg in the minors doesn't guarantee anything. roslovic was a 4th liner on the world junior team as a 19 yr old and scored only 1 point. he has established that he can be a regular in the league so let him start off were he belongs on a bottom 6 role. i'm not convinced he will ever be a 2nd line centre but has all the attributes of a very good 3rd line centre.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Assuming no other prospects make the team, we're probably going to roll :

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Perreault Roslovic Petan/Dano
Copp Lowry Tanev

We all know that's likely how it's gonna start lol.

If Vesalainen makes the team, we could see :

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Vesalainen Little Laine
Perreault Roslovic Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev

Not sure Maurice would put Ehlers and Laine with Roslovic, even being sheltered.

We all know Scheif and Wheeler are likely starting the year together, so it limits the options.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Feeling like we really should have been in on O’Reilly given the meager return they got. I would have happily paid a 2019 1st, 2021 2nd, Myers, and one of Appleton/Petan/Lemieux.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-ROR-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

...looks pretty stellar to me

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Copp Lowry Tanev

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Vesalainen Little Laine
Copp Lowry Tanev

Not sure Maurice would put Ehlers and Laine with Roslovic, even being sheltered.

We all know Scheif and Wheeler are likely starting the year together, so it limits the options.
You really did not get enough of Little-Laine chemistry last season?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If P'Mo is unwilling to break up Scheifele & Wheelers and also too afraid to give Roslo a fair shot at the middle then I wouldn't even care if he placed Copp back to second line between Laine and Ehlers. As long as we don't have to see a line of ELL ever again. Then again Maurice just might be stupid enough to do that so we'd be in for next half a season of shitty second line hockey. I'm not even sure if Ehlers and Laine should be kept together, but who knows really. One could be left with a 3rd line caliber winger and/or center once the other one had at least Perreault. With Armia gone that leaves less playground. One year forward and there's Vesalainen, but that's one year too far since he's not going to be the rainmaker come 18-19. The lack of center depth certainly deceives the common perception of how deep the forward core really is and one stubborn and easily persuaded coach certainly isn't always the balancing force.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Tage Thompson is probably the best piece in that package and is far from meh. Berglund is very good 2nd/3rd line center on a good contract.

The Jets equivalent of Thompson is Roslovic or Vesalainen.

The full Jets offer to match the St Louis one is probably something like Roslovic, Perreault, Armia, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd.

I'd rank both Roslo and Vesa ahead of TT at this point. Nonetheless, your return looks good, and even better if we plug in Myers and save that 2019 first -- which might have been possible had we, like STL, retained our 2018 1st our even picked up a 2nd one.

I feel like Chevy made that Stastny trade betting that he'd be able to sign him longer-term, rather than assuming he'd lose him, as he did. Maybe, given the annual gymnastics that come with today's cap complexities, a successful GM needs to think past the next deal and the next deal, esp when helming a D&D team. PoMo isn't going to suddenly find trust in Petan and Dano at this point, and a Little or Lowry injury, along with MP's annual 30 games out, is going to cost us some games in an even tighter division than last year.

I get that we made it past NSH, and that's great, but I feel like the price we paid to make it that far, given the cap pressure, puts us in danger of becoming a yo-yo team, rather than the eternal competitor we (and everyone else) wants to be, without the luxury of Tavares-ing our way out.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I wouldn’t be surprised to see
Laine-schiefele-Wheeler for most of next year

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Who the heck is VesaLAINEn? And how does he make the team when 23 other teams didn't pick him and he's not even signed?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I still dream.

Actually i'd be fine with any C other than Little. Even Ehlers-Copp-Laine worked out quite nicely.

Ehlers Copp Laine worked out no better than Ehlers Little Laine, both Little and no talent Copp especially already perfectly proved they couldn’t play with Ehlers or Laine and both were disasters. Copp’s a marginal 4th liner at best and Little has already become a 3rd line C at best!

Reactions: Theorex

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I still dream.

Actually i'd be fine with any C other than Little. Even Ehlers-Copp-Laine worked out quite nicely.
no one can play centre with laine and ehlers. stastny did for a while but by the end even he was having little success. laine still is very raw and ehlers needs to slow down and let his brain catch up to his body. not even scheifele can play with them. as far as copp at centre over little if they decided to go that way by keeping ehlers and laine together next year for example if both copp and little centred them for 100 years little would score double the points of copp every year. copp is a 4th line player and that's it.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Feels like we could have outbid STL's package of distant picks and meh roster/prospects for RoR.
Coulda traded Trouba, Buff and Scheifele to clear cap and offer Tavares max cap, too. Could probably make a trade for Karlsson or Price if we wanted to. Doesn't mean we should.

ROR was 2C in Buffalo last year. Maybe he didn't contribute to their failure, but he didn't contribute enough to make them successful (or even just not the worst team in the league) either. How much do you wanna pay for that?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't like him in top 6 either but if we have to choose line-mate for Laine between him & Little it's Copp all day all night. At this point it should be obvious for everyone that PoMo won't play Chef & Pate together.

Of course we can hope that Roslo develops but can we count on that? Does anyone seriously believe that Little would generate enough offense in 2nd line?

Our team was very close for winning Stanley Cup this year, if we don't hire good center we will take huge step-back and won't truly battle about SC next season.

No, I'm sorry but, no. Copp is not even remotely as good as Little with Laine or with anyone else. The only way Laine plays beside Copp is if Laine is on the 4th line.

We were top 4 in the league before we got Stastny. Little had an off year but still had 2C production.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think ELL needs to end. Go back to PLL, they had success iirc.

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little Laine

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Perrealt Little Laine
Connor Roslovic Petan/Dano

Keep the shutdown line intact

If Ves makes the team

Vesalainen Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little Laine

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
the thought of wheeler at centre does intrigue me.
connor scheifele laine
ehlers wheeler little
ves roslovic Perreault.

Reactions: Ippenator

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

So, 30 Helens agree, my post sucks? :laugh:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but seriously, if Little isn't our 2C next year, it means his game has continued to slide and this team is in trouble. Expecting Roslovic to emerge as a good 2C in his first full season is unrealistic. He should be 3C at best, and probably better to start at 4C. Petan I just don't see as a center in the NHL. If he can improve his skating, he might nab a 4th line wing job, but I'm still expecting him to be in the PB most nights, barring injuries.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Plan A gives us a shot at the playoffs.
Plan B gives us a shot at Jack Hughes.

I don't think one player is the difference between the Western Conference Finalists we were last season and the bottom feeder team you envision.

That said, if Hughes is the consensus #1 overall prospect I have to say the Tanking Theme Meme is the cleanest since Fail for Nail: Lose for Hughes.

m.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Copp Lowry Tanev

Connor Scheif Wheeler
Vesalainen Little Laine
Copp Lowry Tanev

That's how it's going to look -

Little is our second line center until we've developed someone to take his place - that's how it works if you are a draft / develop team.

Roslovic looks like our next 2nd center if all works out through development. We're a year or two away from knowing that.

Laine / Ehlers need to improve their all around game - when (not if) that happens, all discussions about the effectiveness of our centers goes away - and - building lines will no longer be the painful process it is today.

Reactions: MardyBum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad