Looking for a new center

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's scored a ton, but I've read that he's a bit of a low energy player without much quickness. That doesn't sound like an ideal player for the Jets.

5'11, 216 lbs - just by that alone it would suggest you are right. He should probably lose 10-15 lbs, or more.

Highlight reels are notoriously misleading but some nice goals there. Capitalizes on opportunities in close. If his 2 way game is good he could make a VG 3C. If he came in at a quick 195 lbs, he might challenge for 2C.

He wouldn't likely be easy to fit under the cap though. So I would want to be very confident in him before throwing a lot of $$$ his way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
5'11, 216 lbs - just by that alone it would suggest you are right. He should probably lose 10-15 lbs, or more.

Highlight reels are notoriously misleading but some nice goals there. Capitalizes on opportunities in close. If his 2 way game is good he could make a VG 3C. If he came in at a quick 195 lbs, he might challenge for 2C.

He wouldn't likely be easy to fit under the cap though. So I would want to be very confident in him before throwing a lot of $$$ his way.

What type of deals are these players allowed to sign? Would it be like Panarin where he got a two year ELC with a lot of potential bonus money?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What type of deals are these players allowed to sign? Would it be like Panarin where he got a two year ELC with a lot of potential bonus money?

He can only sign a 1 year ELC + signing and performance bonus'. Which have a cap on them. Realistically it would be ideal for us to compete with him for a year and re-evaluate from there. I don't have much hope we can get someone of his calibre though.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong for Europeans the ELC only goes up to 27 years of age. After that they are free to sign whatever kind of contract they want.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't remember the details. I think there is a cutoff at ~26 YO for Euro FA's. It might be only 1 year on their first contract. Zaitsev signed a 1 year ELC at 24 YO. The bonuses were a lot less than Panarin's.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't remember the details. I think there is a cutoff at ~26 YO for Euro FA's. It might be only 1 year on their first contract. Zaitsev signed a 1 year ELC at 24 YO. The bonuses were a lot less than Panarin's.

From what I can gather from the CBA. For Euro's it's 27 years old before a certain cut off date. After that they are free to sign any kind of contract they want. Kovar is 28 so he is free to sign at a max of 7 years term, with any kind of signing bonus that is allowed by the CBA.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He can only sign a 1 year ELC + signing and performance bonus'. Which have a cap on them. Realistically it would be ideal for us to compete with him for a year and re-evaluate from there. I don't have much hope we can get someone of his calibre though.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong for Europeans the ELC only goes up to 27 years of age. After that they are free to sign whatever kind of contract they want.

Thanks for the clarification. Given he is free to sign whatever contract he would like, it doesn't seem like a good idea for us to bring him in unless we can get him for 2.5 million on a one year deal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thanks for the clarification. Given he is free to sign whatever contract he would like, it doesn't seem like a good idea for us to bring him in unless we can get him for 2.5 million on a one year deal.

Yeah I can't see to many teams offering him a lot of term or money. He's likely fielding a lot of 1 or 2 year show my offers right now.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

:eek:

(The best goalie in the KHL, Pavel Francouz, who is also 28 years old and therefore could have signed any contract he wanted, signed a one year one way $690k deal with Colorado. He had the best sv% in the KHL in 16-17 AND 17-18. Kovar scored 7 goals last season.)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

(The best goalie in the KHL, Pavel Francouz, who is also 28 years old and therefore could have signed any contract he wanted, signed a one year one way $690k deal with Colorado. He had the best sv% in the KHL in 16-17 AND 17-18. Kovar scored 7 goals last season.)

Well if we can get him cheap then by all means. I have a hard time pegging values for older European league stars.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Yeah, but he had four 20+ goal seasons before that. So, maybe a player in decline, or just had an off-season and is due to bounce back. That sounds familiar. :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, but he had four 20+ goal seasons before that. So, maybe a player in decline, or just had an off-season and is due to bounce back. That sounds familiar. :)
Or maybe his previous success was due to linemate. In any case, if he's not a very good skater who sees the ice well and is good at puck retrieval, I'm not sure he's a great fit.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
With their cap situation, I can't see the Jets being in a bidding war for a top KHL scorer. There's an angry, bitter voice in my head saying he'll sign with Vegas.
I think Vegas is the last place a KHL free agent centre would want to go since last year.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well if we can get him cheap then by all means. I have a hard time pegging values for older European league stars.
Flames signed a Czech league / KHL centre, Roman Cervenka, to a 1 year deal worth $3,775,000 in 2013. I think this deal will look more like that if there is a bidding war.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
As long as it's not ELL all over there's some hope at the end of the tunnel. Yet the 2C situation is worrisome to say the least. With Little's below the par performance last year, it's difficult to expect a bounce considering that he'll just be one year older. There's no record of injury to explain the performance so the only obvious explanation is decline and in this case an early decline.

Maurice should not let players dictate the lines but do what is best for the team. Personally I don't see the benefit with having the team's two best line drivers in one unit. When spread, the offence would be better balanced and along with the offence, TOI could be shared more equally. Anyway, if the team is unable to make a trade or (euro) signing then I can't but cross my fingers that Roslovic would be ready. Though knowing Maurice, he might not be willing to give him a fair shot at the middle.

Nonetheless I think we've seen enough of ELL for one lifetime and that line should be the absolute last option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->