Looking for a new center

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
^

Still waiting for Lowry to crack 30 points. Season before last he was on the top PP unit and came up short. Couturier is closer to Scheifele than he is Lowry. If you compare their trade value... it's not even close.

Reactions: Ippenator

Whileee

May 29, 2010
^

Still waiting for Lowry to crack 30 points. Season before last he was on the top PP unit and came up short. Couturier is closer to Scheifele than he is Lowry. Just compare their trade values today... not even close.
Of course. Lowry is a beauty, though.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Sure but his p/60 the 4 prior years were not very good. I don't expect him to come close to replicating last year's numbers. I would be happy with 1.5 p/60 from him moving forward.

What opportunity has he had though? Petan has had way more opportunity with skilled players than Lowry.

Reactions: Jimby and Flair Hay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What opportunity has he had though? Petan has had way more opportunity with skilled players than Lowry.

He played with Little and Ladd for a stretch. He also got a significant amount of first unit pp time the season before last. Lowry has gotten plenty of ice time and opportunity.

Also I don't know why your making a fuss the p/60 I quoted are second line levels of production. That would be a significant improvement on the fourth line level of production that has been his career norm.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
He played with Little and Ladd for a stretch. He also got a significant amount of first unit pp time the season before last. Lowry has gotten plenty of ice time and opportunity.

Also I don't know why your making a fuss the p/60 I quoted are second line levels of production. That would be a significant improvement on the fourth line level of production that has been his career norm.

Lowry has played 2:08 in his career with Ladd and little.

He had powerplay time and was very productive.

He has never had an opportunity 5v5 with skilled players. I’d like to see how he would do.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

He has never had an opportunity 5v5 with skilled players. I’d like to see how he would do.
I will give you 2 reasons why you haven't seen lowry with skilled players 5v5. 1. scheifele 2. little

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He played about 7 to 8 games with them.

Also I am not sure what you are arguing about anymore I have said repeatedly that he is a second line caliber C. All i said was I expected his production to level out to a second line level. It depends what type of skill you want to play him with. Given his best skills are defensive it would appear we have him in the most optimum spot for now. Perhaps when some of the kids get better in their own end we can use him in a more power vs power role but I suspect we are at least a year away from it. They have trailed him with Conner and Armia on the past so they may go back to something like that in the future.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
So many developing players in the org..... still years away from making solid commitments on UFAs to fill holes. Jets don’t even know exactly what they have yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Lowry won't produce at the same rate as last season in the future. But even a 25% drop would make him very valuable. The Jets have basically a 1st line and three other even lines, that can play different roles at even strength. Then they have a PP and PK.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Seeing Lowry play for more than two seasons now I can say that for sure there is no chance that Lowry is the number two center for the Jets. Or if he will be, then the Jets are going to be sucking big time and in big trouble. The guy has no playmaking capability because first of all he doesn’t have the hands and passing skills for it. Secondly he doesn’t have much of creativity, offensive hockey sense and much of vision for seeing his open linemates quickly enough.

He is efficient in his shutdown role, no question about it, but people twisting those stats based on relative ice time will be extremely disappointed with the rest of Lowry’s career if you seriously believe that he is capable of being a good NHL center out of his present role. Just look at his play and you should see that no way he is capable of being a good NHL 2nd line center.

He is good in the role he has been having so far, but the Jets should not be that Goddamn desperate and in such a bad situation with centers that they should even think of using Lowry in an offensive role. Just daydreaming if people are seriously thinking that he has any capability for being in that kind of role efficiently.

Last edited:
Reactions: upperdeckjet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We should offer sheet William Karlsson :sarcasm:

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
when did we get back to petan being in the top6. are we trying to get laine to ask for a trade. Appleton is more then likely further up the depth charts let alone Lemieux dano and ves.

You're outa your mind if you think Lemieux is above Petan in a top 6 role :laugh:

Lemieux will be in the AHL, his role to take over is Tanev's.

Vesalainen will be playing LW.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You're outa your mind if you think Lemieux is above Petan in a top 6 role :laugh:

Neither are top 6. Period. Petan isn't fast or physical enough. Lemieux is not skilled enough. Both are quality candidates for a 2nd PP though, for what they bring to the table.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

I never said Lemieux was going ever to be in a top 6 role. I said he is above petan in the depth charts and is clearly a 4th liner so why were people thinking petan then could or should play with laine.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I never said Lemieux was going ever to be in a top 6 role. I said he is above petan in the depth charts and is clearly a 4th liner so why were people thinking petan then could or should play with laine.

In your opinion he is, and at this point he's clearly an AHLer. He's not beating our Copp Lowry or Tanev for a 4th line role.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
We should offer sheet William Karlsson :sarcasm:

And what would the offer be? And would it not be a risk to make an expensive offer to a guy who had more goals last season than if you added up all the goals he ever scored since he put on skates. ( and actually land him ) ?

But, maybe I would do it just for fun against Vegas.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And what would the offer be? And would it not be a risk to make an expensive offer to a guy who had more goals last season than if you added up all the goals he ever scored since he put on skates. ( and actually land him ) ?

But, maybe I would do it just for fun against Vegas.
yeah was saying it tongue-in-cheek (hence the :sarcasm:) due to some of the Chevy/Jets vs Mcphee/VGK's stuff that happen the past few months. I am a believer in Wild Bill though so I am bias. His usage and situations in CBJ vs VGK's were no where near the same. He definitely has skill and showed great chemistry with Marchessault and Smith, I think he'd fair well with 2 of Laine/Ehlers/Connor/Roslovic/Perreault on the wing. Also very sound defensively and on the PK. Maybe when VGKs acquires Ryan+EK65 and only have 5M in cap space offersheet him at 6M, give up a 1st and a 3rd lol

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
In your opinion he is, and at this point he's clearly an AHLer. He's not beating our Copp Lowry or Tanev for a 4th line role.

Lemieux will be the replacement for the checking or 4th line injuries. Petan will likely be the top injury fill in for a skill player going down. Petan or Vesalainen depending on position.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
in my 1st post you misread it. I wasn't claiming Lemieux was a 2nd liner I was claiming petan wasn't. and that it was funny that for a guy who will ever be a 4th liner and higher in the depth charts then petan(after all he is a higher draft pick) somehow some had petan on a line with laine. as for my 2nd post I should have wrote that all he will ever be is a 4th liner instead of he is a 4th liner. my mistake. I understand he hasn't earned a spot on the team yet. i'm all for people earning their spot on the roster whether its on the 4th line or on a line with laine and not being given it just because.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
What if we supported Roslovic with 2 strong wingers like Wheeler and Perreault?

It would allow him to gain confidence at the center position, then maybe move Wheeler off in the second half of the season.

We were always going to be a draft develop team, so we need to fill this internally. Roslovic is our best option, so lets work on getting him there this season.

I would like a lineup like this

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Perreault Roslovic Wheeler
Connor Little Appleton
Copp Lowry Tanev

I’m sure Roslovic could get 50+ in that role, Im sure Wheeler could score 65+ on a line with Thorburn and Hendricks so I don’t think he will be too hurt covering for a high potential rookie Center and a good bet in Perreault, this also give Connor better matchups(also he can replace Stastny on PP#1 for his lack of 5v5 minutes) and the dreaded ESL on the top to dominate.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It's amazing how little faith people are willing to put in the young ones. Play Petan with skilled players, and they become better. He can't carry a line though. Likewise, Roslovic was over a point-per-game in the AHL last year. They deserve another chance, and I'm not talking about on the 4th Line with Tanev and Thorburn.

I think Laine and Ehlers don't need much carrying :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad