Looking for a new center

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
What I'm thinking:

1) Did Littles regression coincide with ELL? And therefore, how reliable is his "regression"?
2) We should first try different line combinations before acquiring new pieces. Little + Wheeler might solve all our problems.
3) It might be that Ehlers + Laine are not a good match, TRY DIFFERENT THINGS FFS

Stas was a great addition for a time, but being so damn stagnant in your player usage is really not even showing us all of the options, so what the hell is up with that (probably a lot that we don't take into account or know about).

In the spirit of Bruce Lee, be like water, not like a brick house trying to find that perfect tile.

I wish we had signed Patrick Maroon to be Laine's LW. But I'm sure someone is going to post one of those nice blue and red charts to educate me on why this would be a bad idea. :)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not hard. Handful of players were on team no matter what. Others like connor were told if you are here to score goals and you don't we may not take you. He didn't score. They didn't take him. He had no one blame but himself.

They needed to put together the best team possible. They failed to do so. They lost.

Don't use their decision to justify your opinion. That is the appeal to authority.

There is nothing wrong with your sharing opinions with Maurice either, but justify your opinion on its merits, not on the fact that Maurice shares it. That is an appeal to authority.

Those authorities may be right more often than me. That doesn't mean they are right every time they have an opinion different than mine because they are not perfect. Occasionally I will be right and they will be wrong. By the same token, my opinion is not validated by theirs. Again, they are not perfect. I may agree with them the time they are wrong.

If all my opinions just parrot those of one 'authority' or another, then I don't have any opinions of my own at all.

Sorry if this post is pedantic, but you seem to be missing the concept of the appeal to authority.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm good with Little as our #2 center. I think the line structure needs to change, though, as the "second" line last year wasn't as good as it could have been.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
They needed to put together the best team possible. They failed to do so. They lost.

Don't use their decision to justify your opinion. That is the appeal to authority.

There is nothing wrong with your sharing opinions with Maurice either, but justify your opinion on its merits, not on the fact that Maurice shares it. That is an appeal to authority.

Those authorities may be right more often than me. That doesn't mean they are right every time they have an opinion different than mine because they are not perfect. Occasionally I will be right and they will be wrong. By the same token, my opinion is not validated by theirs. Again, they are not perfect. I may agree with them the time they are wrong.

If all my opinions just parrot those of one 'authority' or another, then I don't have any opinions of my own at all.

Sorry if this post is pedantic, but you seem to be missing the concept of the appeal to authority.

Say "appeal to authority" one more damn time!

YaycpTlO5Fg.jpg

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

I explained why they didn't pick connor. I happen to agree with it. If you don't like that I agree with it. to bad.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I wish we had signed Patrick Maroon to be Laine's LW. But I'm sure someone is going to post one of those nice blue and red charts to educate me on why this would be a bad idea. :)

Well I wouldn't cater to Laine too much at this point because he is still a rapidly developing player. He might have significantly different characteristics as a player in 3-4 years so patience might be better. It's probably one of the reasons he needs very specific types of players to be effective at this point. But when he is, hot damn. That's why the argument about him being misutilized because we know what it looks like when he is utilized. But again we don't have all the variables so it's tough to try to figure out stuff.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I wouldn’t mind seeing Lowry and Laine together. They were incredible in a tiny sample last year. I think Lowry could be good at making space. Add in a decent playmaker and it could be a great line.

I think Lowry is the new couturier.

Reactions: DashingDane

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Quite frankly, I wouldn't bother. The poster isn't interested in a discussion, and as we already know what the authority did, there is no exchange of knowledge to be gained from a discussion where one part is simply stating what the authority did and that decision was correct because the authority did it.

Reactions: ffh

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I explained why they didn't pick connor. I happen to agree with it. If you don't like that I agree with it. to bad.

We don't need to agree. This would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed all the time.

What you seem to be saying is that their choice was justified by his play in the selection camp. That may be true, but it doesn't make their decision correct if the goal is to get the best team possible.

Tell me this. Do you think they had a better team without him than they would have had with him? If so, why?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stastny already knows he took the money not the Cup. His wingers won't be Laine & Ehlers. Little will out point him ...younger and cheaper.

It was posted somewhere yesterday that Stastny had other offers for even more money. His own statement seems to indicate that he likes Vegas' chances of a cup at least as well as Wpg's. He seems to have taken a middle ground that gets both money and a cup, at least in his opinion.

I think he is mistaken in his opinion of the Vegas roster but we'll see. He might be disappointed in Vegas. And they might be disappointed in him when he is not playing with Ehlers and Laine. Lose/lose. I hope.:laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Would Nylander be an option?
Not proven as a C in the NHL level. If I am the Leafs I am not accepting a deal for Nylander unless a good young Dman is part of the return, which the Jets do not have any available.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We all know Lowry was no where close to healthy in the playoffs. Lowry is made for playoff hockey. A healthy Lowry dominates his matchups and shuts down whatever assignment you give him. If he’s healthy he’ll play the 2nd most minutes at center. It’s what PoMo wants and the body of work from last year bares that out.

Note that’s including PK etc...

The question is whether or not Lowry will fully recover from that shoulder injury and either way how long can he continue to play that heavy game?

I believe that with a fully healthy Lowry in the playoffs we probably go on to win the cup last year. But shoulders deteriorate with abuse. He may be just another 4C if he can't get his physical game back.

Edit: In fact, with all the talk about Little, we may be looking at the wrong centre issue. If Little is no worse than last year and Lowry can't hit then that is a bigger loss than whatever Little lost last year.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
We don't need to agree. This would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed all the time.

What you seem to be saying is that their choice was justified by his play in the selection camp. That may be true, but it doesn't make their decision correct if the goal is to get the best team possible.

Tell me this. Do you think they had a better team without him than they would have had with him? If so, why?
I can't remember the roster. He was not a lock. He was 18. Think he got turned down from the usdtp. Junior teams prefer 19 year olds. He was a ushl player, who the hell watches any games from there to know 1 way or the other if they were making a mistake not picking him. If your asking me 3 years later did they make a mistake then yes. If your asking me in the moment did they make a mistake I would say I haven't got a clue. Watching his YouTube highlight doesn't qualify someone to say they know better then the people who have been evaluating him since he was 12.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I wouldn’t mind seeing Lowry and Laine together. They were incredible in a tiny sample last year. I think Lowry could be good at making space. Add in a decent playmaker and it could be a great line.

I think Lowry is the new couturier.
Oh my God! Absolutely no! The center with zero playmaking skills (yeah, I know, a bit of a hyperbole, but still he is a bad playmaker) with the best shooter in the team? You can’t be serious really. Also he is not at least an any better skater than Laine, so what the hell really? Horrible, horrible suggestion. Keep Lowry where he belongs, which is as the center of the fourth line that can be used as the shutdown line that plays more minutes when it’s really needed. But definitely not messing around with the playmaking for the the best goalscorer of the team.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm hoping/expecting a bounce back season for Little. Put him with Wheeler & Connor, put Laine & Ehlers with Schiefele. Roslovic at 3C with Perrault and ??? (KVes?). Stings to lose Stastny, however expected, but salt in the wound losing Armia as well. Price to pay to dump Mason's contract, I guess.

KV is a leftwinger. If Rosie moves to C, who is 3RW? There is Appleton and Spacek. Copp can probably play the right side. Dano always played right before coach Q and PM. Petan has played right side a bit.

I was pretty favourably impressed with Apples the 1 game I saw. He should get a shot. Could be quite a battle in TC.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
It was posted somewhere yesterday that Stastny had other offers for even more money. His own statement seems to indicate that he likes Vegas' chances of a cup at least as well as Wpg's. He seems to have taken a middle ground that gets both money and a cup, at least in his opinion.

I think he is mistaken in his opinion of the Vegas roster but we'll see. He might be disappointed in Vegas. And they might be disappointed in him when he is not playing with Ehlers and Laine. Lose/lose. I hope.:laugh:

Yeah this is what I see as well. Plus the fact that it's slightly warmer in Vegas.

He didn't take the hardest but most WINNING choice. So now we make him pay for that.

That said, I would have probably made the same choice given that I wouldn't have known what kind of colossus the Jets might grow into.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That may not be so far out on that limb. Who will be Stastny's wingers in Vegas?
Tuch probably gets promoted to a top 6 role, Tatar, and if I recall Haula has played LW before. They still have Eakin at 3c. They also might get EK65 lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad