Looking for a new center

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Ok the line produced 10 ES goals in that time. The Wheeler line produced 12 ES goals in that time.

Either the lines where both productive or both inefficient at putting the pick in the net.
12 is pretty much better than 10 at least by the math that I know. And yes Wheeler’s line was not really that efficient either. Not an ideal line although not really bad, as the second line wasn't either. But neither were really that good that I would at least start praising them.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
They needed to put together the best team possible. They failed to do so. They lost.

Don't use their decision to justify your opinion. That is the appeal to authority.

There is nothing wrong with your sharing opinions with Maurice either, but justify your opinion on its merits, not on the fact that Maurice shares it. That is an appeal to authority.

Those authorities may be right more often than me. That doesn't mean they are right every time they have an opinion different than mine because they are not perfect. Occasionally I will be right and they will be wrong. By the same token, my opinion is not validated by theirs. Again, they are not perfect. I may agree with them the time they are wrong.

If all my opinions just parrot those of one 'authority' or another, then I don't have any opinions of my own at all.

Sorry if this post is pedantic, but you seem to be missing the concept of the appeal to authority.
I agree , so I'm appealing to Morthority
You're not bad for Habs fan

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The "best" center UFAs under the age of 31 still available as listed on CF are:

Derek Grant
Nick Shore
Logan Shaw

Slim pickens... if the Jets are looking at a 2C it's gonna have to come from within or some kind of trade. I say go into camp with what you got and see if Little looks like a bounce back year is coming or someone steps up. And if not, then do something or panic.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Is Matt Stajan still available? He might be the kind of spare part the Jets wanted from Hendricks, with less toughness, but better defensive awareness and familiarity with coach Mo. Last chance at the dance kind of player.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
So why did he have incredible chemistry in the top 6 the year prior when he paced 65 points? Do you really believe he lost all ability to play with the players on the team in a single year?

Some of you have short memories and zero patience.

It has been same story with Laine two seasons in row. He doesn't simply fit our top 6. PoMo doesn't play Chef & Pate together and Laine & Little are worst duo in whole league chemistry wise.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It has been same story with Laine two seasons in row. He doesn't simply fit our top 6. PoMo doesn't play Chef & Pate together and Laine & Little are worst duo in whole league chemistry wise.

Laine works perfectly with Scheifele, it’s just Scheifele and Wheeler like playing together while Maurice hates putting players on they’re off wing. I mean Scheifele produced at a higher production rate with Laine rather than Wheeler, so it’s definitely not the fact Laine doesn’t fit in the Top 6. To that top 6 point you had, it’s more so about the fact that you can’t have 3 players on a line who can’t forcheck, backcheck, win board play, exit the puck out of the D-zone properly and individually have other issues as well, that’s a disaster waiting to happen and it’s part of the reason why I believe Copp was the one who struck Laines point and goal streak(because he does all that well and coincidentally as soon as Little left the Laine/Ehlers line and Copp was on board it was non-stop scoring, and Stastny came and it slowly calmed down).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Laine works perfectly with Scheifele, it’s just Scheifele and Wheeler like playing together while Maurice hates putting players on they’re off wing. I mean Scheifele produced at a higher production rate with Laine rather than Wheeler, so it’s definitely not the fact Laine doesn’t fit in the Top 6. To that top 6 point you had, it’s more so about the fact that you can’t have 3 players on a line who can’t forcheck, backcheck, win board play, exit the puck out of the D-zone properly and individually have other issues as well, that’s a disaster waiting to happen and it’s part of the reason why I believe Copp was the one who struck Laines point and goal streak(because he does all that well and coincidentally as soon as Little left the Laine/Ehlers line and Copp was on board it was non-stop scoring, and Stastny came and it slowly calmed down).

So in other words, Scheif would rather play with Wheeler over Laine - why is that if Scheif and Laine were so productive together?

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
So in other words, Scheif would rather play with Wheeler over Laine - why is that if Scheif and Laine were so productive together?

Could be lots of reasons. He likes and trusts Wheeler more as a player, or maybe he wants to score more goals himself instead of dishing to Laine.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Could be lots of reasons. He likes and trusts Wheeler more as a player, or maybe he wants to score more goals himself instead of dishing to Laine.
He definitely trusts Wheeler more, because Wheeler is more trustworthy in virtually all aspects of the game other than scoring. Scheifele needs wingers who have a more developed cycling and 2-way game against other teams best lines. In that regard, I am wondering whether Copp would be a good choice as Scheifele's LW, leaving Roslovic, Little and Lowry as the other centers.

Reactions: Jack722

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He definitely trusts Wheeler more, because Wheeler is more trustworthy in virtually all aspects of the game other than scoring. Scheifele needs wingers who have a more developed cycling and 2-way game against other teams best lines. In that regard, I am wondering whether Copp would be a good choice as Scheifele's LW, leaving Roslovic, Little and Lowry as the other centers.

Interesting suggestion -
He has the work ethic required along with the 2 way game - but he doesn't have the offensive skill set that Connor brings.
Are you suggesting this based on a bigger picture, ie; what do you have in mind for Connor - line him up with Little and Laine maybe?
Ehlers with Roz on the 3rd?

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

That's interesting for sure. Copp might help that line bleed less shots too and would obviously let us spread the talent more.

Copp - Scheif - Wheels
Ehlers - Little - Perreault
Connor - Roslovic - Laine
Ves/Lemieux/Dano - Lowry - Tanev

I would love them to try this IF Maurice was willing to balance the TOI for all four lines.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Connor Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Little Appleton
Ehlers Roslovic Laine
Copp Lowry Tanev

sort of a development year, but still make the playoffs
don't see this winning a Stanley cup tho
unless roslovic improves significantly and becomes a true 2c before the seasons over

don't have a problem with this

I like having laine and ehlers work with roslovic having potential to become a 2nd line

but I also like
Laine scheifele ehlers
connor little wheeler
this is closer to having 2 top lines

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Interesting suggestion -
He has the work ethic required along with the 2 way game - but he doesn't have the offensive skill set that Connor brings.
Are you suggesting this based on a bigger picture, ie; what do you have in mind for Connor - line him up with Little and Laine maybe?
Ehlers with Roz on the 3rd?
Definitely looking at the bigger picture, and the premise that a top line can be effective with 2 great talents, with the third being a Copp prototype--smart, tough, responsible, good in the corners, etc. There is no way Copp can be a scorer on his own but he has shown he can finish if provided the opportunities.
That frees up Connor to play with either Little or Rolovic--I think he could flourish with either, as he has both the tenacity in the corners and the skill. Any combo of Little, Roslo, Connor and Perreault would shelter Laine's deficiencies.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
I think this is the year roslovic becomes entrenched as number 2 centre then jets will need to get rid of Perrault or little next offseason.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The "best" center UFAs under the age of 31 still available as listed on CF are:

Derek Grant
Nick Shore
Logan Shaw

Slim pickens... if the Jets are looking at a 2C it's gonna have to come from within or some kind of trade. I say go into camp with what you got and see if Little looks like a bounce back year is coming or someone steps up. And if not, then do something or panic.

Why do you have Slim Pickens on your list? I don't think he ever played hockey. I'll never forget him riding that nuke though. Yeeee-Haww! :laugh:

Reactions: cbcwpg

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think this is the year roslovic becomes entrenched as number 2 centre then jets will need to get rid of Perrault or little next offseason.
I think the thinking would be to see if he can play 3rd line centre before giving him a 2nd line role. Does he even have a dozen games at centre. It was good enough for scheifele to start on 3rd line and play all year there. I highly doubt roslovic replaces little any time soon.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's interesting for sure. Copp might help that line bleed less shots too and would obviously let us spread the talent more.

Copp - Scheif - Wheels
Ehlers - Little - Perreault
Connor - Roslovic - Laine
Ves/Lemieux/Dano - Lowry - Tanev

I would love them to try this IF Maurice was willing to balance the TOI for all four lines.

I'd like to see the try something like this -
The 2nd and 3rd lines should be effective scoring lines without giving up the 2 way game - this has always been the challenge IMO.
The first line is also a better 2 way line with a little less scoring punch (but still plenty).

The above gives you a 2A and B and does away with a lot of the discussion around positioning our centers.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
sort of a development year, but still make the playoffs
don't see this winning a Stanley cup tho
unless roslovic improves significantly and becomes a true 2c before the seasons over

don't have a problem with this

I like having laine and ehlers work with roslovic having potential to become a 2nd line

but I also like
Laine scheifele ehlers
connor little wheeler
this is closer to having 2 top lines

If I were looking for a true 4 line team it would be

Perreault Sheif Laine
Connor Roslovic Wheeler
Tanev-Lowry-Little
Copp-Petan-Ehlers

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I like the idea of placing an experienced centre in between Laine and Ehlers. The kids can only learn and get better when playing with a veteran. Stastny if he decides to go, he can be replaced by another exBlues like Steen and he can even keep the same number!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad