London Knights 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
One the biggest off season changes I hope your team does is change the jersey. I miss the 2016 kit London had. These new ones remind me of subway. What's the fan reaction to them?
I don't like them, they look old fashioned to me with all the horizontal rings. I agree with you...the previous ones were better. I like the white Windsor jersey especially. Clean modern look.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
One the biggest off season changes I hope your team does is change the jersey. I miss the 2016 kit London had. These new ones remind me of subway. What's the fan reaction to them?
I love the current jerseys. It would be cool to have a third jersey again that is completely different. Either something that either looks like this years warmup jersey or if they wanted to really bold the eggplant spiderknight jersey for a third and then use it very sparingly. They would sell a tonne though...

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not sure I would've done anything differently if I were Mark Hunter. Sure he traded away some depth players, but none of them were exactly lighting it up at the time, the season was still in question, and who knew the team would be ravaged by injuries and illnesses come playoff time.

We only heard about the players missing games due to injuries/illnesses. How many players were playing hurt/sick? All things considered, to take a much improved Kitchener team to a game 7 OT and outshoot them 2-1 every game was pretty impressive to me with some really gutsy performances by those who were playing sick/injured. The only regrets I have are the players who really didn't seem to develop over the 2nd half of the season (a few actually regressed). I won't mention any names (I think we all know who they were).

Sure, Mark could've held on to the depth we traded away, but at what cost? It would've meant 3 other players didn't get that development time, draft picks wouldn't have been recouped, and it still may not have made any difference. The decisions are always easier in hindsight, but this is how the Knights have remained competitive year in and year out since the Hunters took over. They don't get the top draft pick slots, so they have to acquire as many other picks as they can, when they can, to keep the cupboard stocked. I think we're pretty damn lucky to have the Hunters here in London. Some of us are old enough to remember what things were like before they got here! :)

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I'm not sure I would've done anything differently if I were Mark Hunter. Sure he traded away some depth players, but none of them were exactly lighting it up at the time, the season was still in question, and who knew the team would be ravaged by injuries and illnesses come playoff time.

We only heard about the players missing games due to injuries/illnesses. How many players were playing hurt/sick? All things considered, to take a much improved Kitchener team to a game 7 OT and outshoot them 2-1 every game was pretty impressive to me with some really gutsy performances by those who were playing sick/injured. The only regrets I have are the players who really didn't seem to develop over the 2nd half of the season (a few actually regressed). I won't mention any names (I think we all know who they were).

Sure, Mark could've held on to the depth we traded away, but at what cost? It would've meant 3 other players didn't get that development time, draft picks wouldn't have been recouped, and it still may not have made any difference. The decisions are always easier in hindsight, but this is how the Knights have remained competitive year in and year out since the Hunters took over. They don't get the top draft pick slots, so they have to acquire as many other picks as they can, when they can, to keep the cupboard stocked. I think we're pretty damn lucky to have the Hunters here in London. Some of us are old enough to remember what things were like before they got here! :)
One thing the Hunters do is give kids places to play and develop.

As an Attack fan, I can tell you, there's many more Knights players who develop into pro prospects.

We've had a number of trades with the Knights over the years, and the players are always good.

It might not add up at the time, but doing what's right for the player helps build a strong, reliable programme.

Onuska has a chance to play and shine, so while it may well have cost you a chance to advance in the playoffs, they did what's best for him, which is admirable.

The kids want to report to London .

Our GM does the same . It pained us no end to see 6 top players shipped out a few years ago, and 3 of them win a championship that could have been ours .

At least two of those guys are doing well in the pros(Suzuki and Durzi) so that move was best for them, not us.

The Knights programme is the gold standard in the CHL, and it's because of the Hunters it is .

I have every confidence next season there will be 7 or 8 teams looking up the standings at the Knights

Reactions: KnightWatch

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Actually, I think the Attack are a couple years away .
I’d imagine sarnia will have a good team next season. They gave windsor a run for their money in a 6 game series. Sarnia also had the youngest team in the league this year, besides for losing Degurse to OA and having to trade away one of their 4 OA’s going into next season their entire team will be back a year older and more experienced and they will have to trade guys out to make room for their 5th overall pick and their 1st round import pick. Wouldn’t be surprised to see an American commit either. Then having Gaudreau as a 19 year old in net they could be a tough team to beat.

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
I could see brochu signing with the pens. Bother goalies are injured with one now having season ending surgery. 😪

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Testa had another assist on a nice toe drag and other good scoring chances as the Falcons buried Hamilton 4 to 0 at the Jack before 889 loud fans to take a two to one series lead next game Tuesday night in St Catharines.

Reactions: LDN and aresknights

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Next years actual captain is broch
Actually, I don't believe that a goaltender can be designated as captain,(C) or wear an (A). Something to do with their inability to go past the blueline when play is stopped. That rule prevents them from discussing penalty assessments with referee at the scorekeeper's area. I stand to be corrected, but I honestly can't recall any goaltender having a letter over the last 3 decades.

Reactions: HockeyPops

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Not sure about the O but I do remember Luongo being captain in the NHL.
Don't beleive he was ever officially captain...had a "C" on his mask...team had "A"'s that looked after in game stuff....as far as the league was concerned he was not captian

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
I love the current jerseys. It would be cool to have a third jersey again that is completely different. Either something that either looks like this years warmup jersey or if they wanted to really bold the eggplant spiderknight jersey for a third and then use it very sparingly. They would sell a tonne though...
LK Jersey 2_NEW_ALL.png
Fire Jerseys.jpg
LK Jerseys.jpg
20210331_194106.jpg

Here's some fun designs

Last edited:
Reactions: sbpointer

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Was it just me or did this season seem like a season wasted? We didn’t sell or buy and we really didn’t seem to develop a lot of superior talent. Maybe a couple of Defensive prospects but really just a weird lost season at best? Very unusual for a Hunter run Knights season?

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Was it just me or did this season seem like a season wasted? We didn’t sell or buy and we really didn’t seem to develop a lot of superior talent. Maybe a couple of Defensive prospects but really just a weird lost season at best? Very unusual for a Hunter run Knights season?
There was a significant amount of "bad luck" this season. Approaching the trade deadline, the team was comfortably in first, but that indicator was skewed by that unbalanced Covid-19 schedule all teams were forced into.

That may have influenced the decision to stand pat. Then there was the Maillieux suspension, re-instatement, and injury situation. Compound that with Brochu's untimely injury, and the scramble to find a suitable back-up.

At the Christmas break, it was quite evident that the team severely lacked secondary scoring, and that issue wasn't addressed at the trade deadline. There were available players, but the asking prices were sky high, so the team went with what they were more comfortable with. They apparently proved the adage that you get what you pay for. This edition was far too dependent on key individuals, with too many non-contributory passengers. I agree, this was completely uncharacteristic of a Hunter led team, and maybe the result of the " associate coaches" being given more authority ?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Brock Otten’s list of largest drops from the mid-season rankings till the final rankings.

Recognize any names on the list?

Biggest Fallers:
Vsevolod Gaidamak (from 121 to not ranked)
Colton Smith (from 129 to not ranked)
Stuart Rolofs (from 142 to not ranked)
Ruslan Gazizov (from 62 to 149)
Liam Arnsby (from 66 to 115)
Tucker Robertson (from 109 to 162)
Jackson Edward (from 75 to 123)
Jorian Donovan (from 39 to 81)
Spencer Sova (from 38 to 80)
Tyler Savard (from 183 to not ranked)
Brody Crane (from 188 to not ranked)
Matthew Poitras (from 23 to 45)
Gaidamak seemed to get lost after Christmas. Not sure how much of an effect the Russia Ukraine had on him

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Gaidamak seemed to get lost after Christmas. Not sure how much of an effect the Russia Ukraine had on him
Im assuming we are talking Gazizov here. Yeah his best games seemed to be his first bunch he was playing physical generating chances and then he cooled a bit and suddenly wasn't forechecking hard or playing the body at all. It was almost like he was good until they started coaching him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad