London Knights 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
for sure..what about McCue? They compared McCue to Frost somewhere....now thats probably a reach.....

Id be surprised if any1 other than the top 2 get signed up and take a card to start the year.
I really like the D pick ;) for a2nd rounder. As much as I liked the Perrott pick

Reactions: zman77

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
I don't see next year as a go for it year. This year was the window and they totally messed it up. I see London as a 7th or 8th place team next season, with a number of players dealt at the deadline. Much like 2017. I want to see a different direction taken behind the bench and hopefully it will happen with Mark and Dale being tied up with the HC program. Junior hockey is a "what have you done for me lately" business. Let's look at the past 6 years since the back to back OHL Championships

2014: Lost in the 2nd round and Sh!t the bed as Memorial Cup Hosts
2015: Lost in the 2nd round
2016: Won the Memorial Cup with a stacked team
2017: Lost in the 2nd round
2018: Lost in the 1st round
2019: Lost in the 2nd round

Some fans would be happy with that resume...not me. Complacency doesn't sit well with me
Time for a younger more Progressive coach.
Hunters Old school ways are in the past.
Need a coach similar to the Oshawa and Kitchener guy's.
How about Burnett from Guelph?
He thoroughly Out coached Hunter and Family.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Speaking of OAs,I would cut bait with Cotter,Tympkin,Keane.
Nelson is not my idea of an Impactful OA either.
Hunter if still the coach should bring in 2 OA's
A deman[not in the mold of Timm;s]with all round ability and leadership
A Centerman with size!!! and skill.
Kooy is a given.

Reactions: LDN

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Speaking of OAs,I would cut bait with Cotter,Tympkin,Keane.
Nelson is not my idea of an Impactful OA either.
Hunter if still the coach should bring in 2 OA's
A deman[not in the mold of Timm;s]with all round ability and leadership
A Centerman with size!!! and skill.
Kooy is a given.

Kooy will not be an OA next year. Tymkin and Nelson will be fine as OA’s. Don’t waste assets acquiring OA forwards.

Reactions: LDN and zman77

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Time for a younger more Progressive coach.
Hunters Old school ways are in the past.
Need a coach similar to the Oshawa and Kitchener guy's.
How about Burnett from Guelph?
He thoroughly Out coached Hunter and Family.
Don't kid yourself when Dale has had enough it will be Dylan's team no question about it

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
NELLI REPORT, vol. I:

As I say every year, these are just my comments based on what I saw today, nothing more, nothing less:

Players not in attendance:
* Truscott
* Gilmartin

Players in attendance from the 2018 draft who played at least ONE regular season game this year:
* G. Keane; Roger; Panwar; Evangelista

All the others were draftees from 2018, 2019, plus invites.

GOLD 6 GREEN 3 [only two teams this year; played 3 20 minute periods]

Gold goals: Atwill (2), Panwar (2), Montes, Beljo
Green goals: Evangelista, Perry, White

Comments:
Most of you are probably wondering how our top prospects from the recent draft performed (Rolofs, Mailloux, McCue). Rolofs was virtually invisible today as was Mailloux. Neither played poorly by any means, but there was nothing to rave about. Rolofs is a good skater for a tall kid.
However, I was pleasantly surprised by Max McCue--good hands, works hard, and is feisty. One player who I really liked was Mark Estapa from Little Caesars--good skater, skilled forward, takes the body. Apparently he's committed to W. Michigan, but he made a good, first impression.
Connor Federkow, d-man, got under the skin of a few players; he has quite the temper; slashed G. Keane, and then at the beginning of the following period, right off the faceoff, Federkow fought Carson McMillan. McMillan pounded him.

Of the players who impressed from last year's draft (2018), it should come as no surprise that Panwar was the best forward on the ice. I wanted to see Evangelista work his butt off, but instead he was more interested in hotdogging it. Evangelista also took a highstick (or slash), and left the ice. He returned for the 3rd period. I'm looking for big things out of him this season, and I was a little disappointed by the (lack of a) work ethic. McGurn was arguably the second best forward this morning of the 2018 draft class. He protected the puck along the boards, had lots of puck possession, and distributed the puck well. G. Keane was the best d-man, followed by Ben Roger. Roger still needs to bulk up--go train with Gary Roberts this summer and take Evangelista with you. Roger has all the skill to be a good d-man in O. Avery Winslow was solid on D, and he should perhaps vie for a top 6 spot. It looked like Winslow was wearing a London Knights' helmet. I wonder if this is an indication that he will be signed soon?

I was joined by 'boknows', and we spoke with Dane Dowiak's father. Dowiak is from Pittsburgh (Penn State commit) and attended prep school in Connecticut. His team won the championship.

As for the goalies today (Willis, McCabe, Brochu: GOLD and Say, Smith, Beckford: GREEN), Willis was terrible, and I can't say that the others made any great saves. In other words, no goalie stood out to me.
Planning on going back tomorrow...

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Heck no, George Burnett and Mark Hunter have always been friends and good dealing partners over the years in Belleville and Flint, Being in direct competition with Burnett in Guelph they couldn’t do much as far as trading this year. No one can be angry at George Burnett like Mark is always looking in the best interest of his players.

Reactions: zman77

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
NELLI REPORT, vol. I:

As I say every year, these are just my comments based on what I saw today, nothing more, nothing less:

Players not in attendance:
* Truscott
* Gilmartin

Players in attendance from the 2018 draft who played at least ONE regular season game this year:
* G. Keane; Roger; Panwar; Evangelista

All the others were draftees from 2018, 2019, plus invites.

GOLD 6 GREEN 3 [only two teams this year; played 3 20 minute periods]

Gold goals: Atwill (2), Panwar (2), Montes, Beljo
Green goals: Evangelista, Perry, White

Comments:
Most of you are probably wondering how our top prospects from the recent draft performed (Rolofs, Mailloux, McCue). Rolofs was virtually invisible today as was Mailloux. Neither played poorly by any means, but there was nothing to rave about. Rolofs is a good skater for a tall kid.
However, I was pleasantly surprised by Max McCue--good hands, works hard, and is feisty. One player who I really liked was Mark Estapa from Honeybaked--good skater, skilled forward, takes the body. Apparently he's committed to W. Michigan, but he made a good, first impression.
Connor Federkow, d-man, got under the skin of a few players; he has quite the temper; slashed G. Keane, and then at the beginning of the following period, right off the faceoff, Federkow fought Carson McMillan. McMillan pounded him.

Of the players who impressed from last year's draft (2018), it should come as no surprise that Panwar was the best forward on the ice. I wanted to see Evangelista work his butt off, but instead he was more interested in hotdogging it. Evangelista also took a highstick (or slash), and left the ice. He returned for the 3rd period. I'm looking for big things out of him this season, and I was a little disappointed by the (lack of a) work ethic. McGurn was arguably the second best forward this morning of the 2018 draft class. He protected the puck along the boards, had lots of puck possession, and distributed the puck well. G. Keane was the best d-man, followed by Ben Roger. Roger still needs to bulk up--go train with Gary Roberts this summer and take Evangelista with you. Roger has all the skill to be a good d-man in O. Avery Winslow was solid on D, and he should perhaps vie for a top 6 spot. It looked like Winslow was wearing a London Knights' helmet. I wonder if this is an indication that he will be signed soon?

I was joined by 'boknows', and we spoke with Dane Dowiak's father. Dowiak is from Pittsburgh (Penn State commit) and attended prep school in Connecticut. His team won the championship.

As for the goalies today (Willis, McCabe, Brochu: GOLD and Say, Smith, Beckford: GREEN), Willis was terrible, and I can't say that the others made any great saves. In other words, no goalie stood out to me.
Planning on going back tomorrow...

went to look that Estafa kid up and found this

VIDEO: Check out this goal clip from LC 15U's Mark Estapa that's going viral

Reactions: LDN and nelli27

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Mark Estapa: 17 years, 2002.
He's undrafted player with the OHL.
Committed to Western Michigan 2021.
But was drafted by Tri-City in the USHL.
Good size: 6' 0" 175 lbs., Forward, Shoots Left.
Kris Draper was his coach at Detroit Little Caesars.
2015-16
6.png
Little Caesars Bantam Minor AAA
HPMBHL ----- |
2016-17
6.png
Little Caesars Bantam Major AAA
HPBHL 20571232 |
2017-18
6.png
Little Caesars U15
Midget 6429376689 |
2018-19
6.png
Little Caesars U16
T1EHL U16 824612 |
6.png
Tri-City Storm
USHL 100000 |
2021-22
6.png
Western Michigan Univ.
NCAA -----
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Stopped in at rookie camp today and here are who stood out

12 McCue - good skater, loved to forecheck, looks like a 200 foot player
19 Estapa - free agent, noticed him on every shift. Good size and played hard.
7 Montgomery - big free agent defenseman, skates well, good on breakout
15 Montes - tiny forward but has lots of skill, creative player, played hard even though he was a toothpick. Good pick if he can bulk up.
2 Winslow - very good skater, made it look easy out there, will be on the team
Brochu (G) - only goaltender who impressed me, excellent feet, will definitely be in hunt for BUG, did not allow a goal
10 McGurn - one of better forwards, very good passer
14 Atwill - scored pair of goals, confident with the puck, needs to get quicker, made the smart play
9 Panwar - Expect him to have a good season next year, will need to shoot more
11 Labelle - energetic, high compete, good speed, noticed him on most shifts, smaller
2 Federkow - Lots of grit, opposing team wanted to kill him, good to see a player like this in our lineup. Fought but lost
15 Shepler - gritty little forward, mucked it up a lot.
5 Roger - bean pole, looked good, jumped into rush and was able to carry puck up ice, will need to be eased into lineup I think

These players intrigued but not great
10 Rolofs - didnt have the puck much. You can see that hes a good player
3 Mailloux - didn’t stand out or do too much to notice him but played steady
16 Whyte - Found a way to get involved but not prettiest player to watch. Has some smarts and got puck to the net.
Zaske - big D, played hard, made some mistakes. Needs work but intrigues
13 Mairs - has improved since last camp, good hands down low
Beckford - moves well , made a nice glove save, athletic

Gritty scrimmage nice to see. Theres a chance the first six picks from 2018 draft play games with London next season to

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Pooches are fine just had to get heart worm medicine for both of them and rabies shots. Planned on attending both days as I always do but now she booked us in for breakfast at daughters house for Easter FFS !! She is doing her best to p*** me off. I will rely again on the Nellie report. One kid I liked last year was Dowiak from PA. How did he look? Have fun Sunday everyone and look forward to updates.

DrummondIsGod

Mar 16, 2011
Stopped in at rookie camp today and here are who stood out

12 McCue - good skater, loved to forecheck, looks like a 200 foot player
19 Estapa - free agent, noticed him on every shift. Good size and played hard.
7 Montgomery - big free agent defenseman, skates well, good on breakout
15 Montes - tiny forward but has lots of skill, creative player, played hard even though he was a toothpick. Good pick if he can bulk up.
2 Winslow - very good skater, made it look easy out there, will be on the team
Brochu (G) - only goaltender who impressed me, excellent feet, will definitely be in hunt for BUG, did not allow a goal
10 McGurn - one of better forwards, very good passer
14 Atwill - scored pair of goals, confident with the puck, needs to get quicker, made the smart play
9 Panwar - Expect him to have a good season next year, will need to shoot more
11 Labelle - energetic, high compete, good speed, noticed him on most shifts, smaller
2 Federkow - Lots of grit, opposing team wanted to kill him, good to see a player like this in our lineup. Fought but lost
15 Shepler - gritty little forward, mucked it up a lot.
5 Roger - bean pole, looked good, jumped into rush and was able to carry puck up ice, will need to be eased into lineup I think

These players intrigued but not great
10 Rolofs - didnt have the puck much. You can see that hes a good player
3 Mailloux - didn’t stand out or do too much to notice him but played steady
16 Whyte - Found a way to get involved but not prettiest player to watch. Has some smarts and got puck to the net.
Zaske - big D, played hard, made some mistakes. Needs work but intrigues
13 Mairs - has improved since last camp, good hands down low
Beckford - moves well , made a nice glove save, athletic

Gritty scrimmage nice to see. Theres a chance the first six picks from 2018 draft play games with London next season to

Is the #7 on D Bryce Montgomery? Big D from Maryland who played at Cushing Academy.

Reactions: nelli27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad